D.C. Area Meet (Sunday, August 30, 2015) - part of CanMania @ Capital Audio Fest (CAF) 2015
Aug 19, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #121 of 234
Is someone bringing the Schiit Asgard 2? I currently use the Yulong A800 class A amp, it is very neutral, clean, extremely powerful, but with the DT990's sounds to bright so I want something warmer. Thinking about the Asgard 2 or Valhalla 2. Love the pre amp functionality for my monitors as well. 

If I can make it I'll have my Valhalla 2.

Aug 19, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #122 of 234
Would love to hear it. Question, how is the pre amp functionality activated? When the amp is turned off, is it in pre amp mode? How do you switch from speaker to headphone?

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #123 of 234
I have a pile of Schiit that is soon bound for eBay "heaven". The Fulla is in this pile, and I can certainly keep it away from eBay for 2-weeks. I normally have no intention of buying or selling anything at any of these meets - I'm here strictly to listen and participate in the real, live, human part of the headphone community. But I still thought it makes sense that I should mention it.

What other Schiit stuff are you planning on selling on ebay?

Aug 20, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #124 of 234
What other Schiit stuff are you planning on selling on ebay?

The last few months since the earlier meet, I've been experimenting with various lower tier headphones from the dark to the light (Sennheiser HD650, Denon AH-D2000, NAD VISO HP50, HiFiMan HE-400S, Oppo PM3 - was on the loaner program, AKG Q701 - sold this last one). I've been listening on a mix of USB DAC/AMP and inexpensive Schiit amplifiers:

1. Fulla
  2. Magni 2
  3. Vali
  4. Valhalla (black)

I found that I have become a solid state advocate, and the amp I'm using now simply has lower gain (1 versus the 1.5 of the Magni 2) and better volume knob. So eventually these will all go to eBay "heaven". I can certainly wait the now one week and bring these to the meet to let people listen for free 
redface.gif

Love to share - love to hear your tastes and impressions. I find I've learned a lot from letting an audio friend borrow stuff and then hearing what he has to say a few days later. Now I'm just waiting for a new DAC to fall off the FedEx truck so I can bring it too and give you all a final list of what I plan to show. But I can certainly show up with all the Schiit stuff in boxes, and plug in for anyone who cares to have a listen.

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #125 of 234
That was fast. Here's what I'm bringing:

1. JDS Labs Element
  2. Schiit Bifrost Uber
  3. Schiit Gungnir Multibit

Bring your own headphones, and amp if you don't trust the Element
biggrin.gif

I can easily switch between the two sources, but I'll have to re-read through the DAC comparison thread to see if I can provide simultaneous output from a PC to both DAC. I'm thinking that might not be possible due to being the same manufacturer, but I'll give it a try over the next week.

Aug 20, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #126 of 234
  That was fast. Here's what I'm bringing:

1. JDS Labs Element
  2. Schiit Bifrost Uber
  3. Schiit Gungnir Multibit

Bring your own headphones, and amp if you don't trust the Element
biggrin.gif

I can easily switch between the two sources, but I'll have to re-read through the DAC comparison thread to see if I can provide simultaneous output from a PC to both DAC. I'm thinking that might not be possible due to being the same manufacturer, but I'll give it a try over the next week.

Awesome--I was hoping you had the Multibit on the way. JRiver Media Center will output the multiple DACs simultaneously, and they have a free trial. We should do a DS vs. Multibit vs. Yggy comparo.

Aug 20, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #127 of 234

Awesome--I was hoping you had the Multibit on the way. JRiver Media Center will output the multiple DACs simultaneously, and they have a free trial. We should do a DS vs. Multibit vs. Yggy comparo.

I had to wait for them to paint it black
biggrin.gif

And thanks - did not want to trudge through the thread again. I will download and try out JRiver Media Center, and get some music loaded onto my PC (I typically use my Mac, and only run Tidal from my PC).

Aug 20, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #128 of 234
The last few months since the earlier meet, I've been experimenting with various lower tier headphones from the dark to the light (Sennheiser HD650, Denon AH-D2000, NAD VISO HP50, HiFiMan HE-400S, Oppo PM3 - was on the loaner program, AKG Q701 - sold this last one). I've been listening on a mix of USB DAC/AMP and inexpensive Schiit amplifiers:

• Fulla
  • Magni 2
  • Vali
  • Valhalla (black)

I found that I have become a solid state advocate, and the amp I'm using now simply has lower gain (1 versus the 1.5 of the Magni 2) and better volume knob. So eventually these will all go to eBay "heaven". I can certainly wait the now one week and bring these to the meet to let people listen for free :xf_eek:  

Love to share - love to hear your tastes and impressions. I find I've learned a lot from letting an audio friend borrow stuff and then hearing what he has to say a few days later. Now I'm just waiting for a new DAC to fall off the FedEx truck so I can bring it too and give you all a final list of what I plan to show. But I can certainly show up with all the Schiit stuff in boxes, and plug in for anyone who cares to have a listen.

Awesome, I so want to hear a tube amp and a 150-400 dollar SS amp. I have little for comparison so I don't know what to order. I've heard a Fiio e09k and a $5000 McIntosh. And I want an amp for my new headphones, to make them shine.

I'm so looking forward to this meet!

Aug 20, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #129 of 234
Would love to hear it. Question, how is the pre amp functionality activated? When the amp is turned off, is it in pre amp mode? How do you switch from speaker to headphone?
on the Valhalla2, it's "automatic". The preamp output is off when you plug in 'phones, and on when you unplug the 'phones.
There's another way to do it if you want to play through speakers and listen to headphones at the same time -- but won't go into that now unless requested.

Aug 20, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #130 of 234
on the Valhalla2, it's "automatic". The preamp output is off when you plug in 'phones, and on when you unplug the 'phones.
There's another way to do it if you want to play through speakers and listen to headphones at the same time -- but won't go into that now unless requested.

I do not care for playing both simultaneously. My main question is does the amp have to be turned on while being used as a pre-amp, and if it does, is it idling by with full heat and wattage or is it going into a sort of standby mode. I listen to speakers probably 95% being at home, so I do not know if I want a glowing beast on all the time while I am not using it.

Aug 20, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #131 of 234
Thinking about bringing an assortment of KG design amps: the KSA5 clone, balanced Dynalo, and maybe the single ended version of the current feedback amp...and of course the WA3 mega mod. Still trying to work schedule. I've got a date with the summit of Mount Washington I need to pack for. :)

Aug 20, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #132 of 234
I do not care for playing both simultaneously. My main question is does the amp have to be turned on while being used as a pre-amp, and if it does, is it idling by with full heat and wattage or is it going into a sort of standby mode. I listen to speakers probably 95% being at home, so I do not know if I want a glowing beast on all the time while I am not using it.

Maybe we aren't using exactly the same terms. The headphone amp is on or off. When on, it drives headphones, and we call it an amp. When we unplug the headphones, it sends power to anything connected to the output jacks. The same power that is plenty to drive headphones is there, but in loudspeaker world, that power needs to be increased further to drive speakers, so it feeds a power amp and speakers (or "active" or "powered" speakers). Are we on the same page now?

Aug 20, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #133 of 234
When I ask if the amp is on, I mean is it producing tons of heat even when the headphones are not plugged in? Let's start with, does the device have to be on, or is it a passive pre amp? Okay, say the device must be on, without headphones plugged in, is the device pumping tons of heat and energy?  I know the Schiit Asgard is class A which means it is running on full power all the time, but is it doing that even in pre amp mode? Get my meaning? I do not want a 30 watt pre amp. 

On another note, does the pre amp color the sound at all? Or is it simple in and out with the signal?

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #135 of 234
  My list is :
Audeze 3 Phazor
Sennheiser hd 800 "if they don't sell first"
Dark Voice 336 se with different tubes to roll
Apex Peak Volcano Also with tubes to roll
A&K 240 loaded
IBasso Dx-100 Loaded with music (for Sale)
Chord Cordette
2 Ray Samuels designs one with d/a
several headphone ,Interconnects and power  cables 

I think we have a lot of representation for planar headphones. Definitely looking forward to hearing your dynamic driver, Sennheiser HD800, if it does not sell before the meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back