Cypher Labs Theorem 720
Nov 14, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #106 of 482
  I'm sorry, I was vague. I meant that the noise has no peaks or troughs; as long as your batteries are charged, it is a constant volume that doesn't change on cable wiggles or the volume of the music played from the source. It is exactly the sort of noise that you want- if you have to have it. My Walkmans and AMP3Pro not to mention one or two other amps, have noise that modulates even when you are not touching the chassis or twiddling the volume pot. Those non-neutral noise signatures are annoying.

Got it.  I have mild tinnitus, and you basically described what I hear in near or total silence.  The slightest sound overrides it and it is not noticeable.

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #109 of 482
There are some provisos to the above statement, but generally balanced improves signals. Balanced armature drivers aren't designed like dynamic drivers to accept different polarities necessary for wiring for balanced input, and the overall frequency can be distorted quite a bit from the original manufacturer-intended sound. Today, most BA earphones are not designed from the ground up to accept balanced signals and therefore will sound far different to their intended sound. You may like that but it is far more likely that the earphone will not perform 'better' as will a dynamic driver wired for balanced signals. It will sound different and you may like it. If you can check, check before buying.

The Theorem is a wonderful amp for both singe and balanced; it's your output device (earphone or headphone) that will determine if the signal improves or merely sounds different.

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #110 of 482
  There are some provisos to the above statement, but generally balanced improves signals. Balanced armature drivers aren't designed like dynamic drivers to accept different polarities necessary for wiring for balanced input, and the overall frequency can be distorted quite a bit from the original manufacturer-intended sound. Today, most BA earphones are not designed from the ground up to accept balanced signals and therefore will sound far different to their intended sound. You may like that but it is far more likely that the earphone will not perform 'better' as will a dynamic driver wired for balanced signals. It will sound different and you may like it. If you can check, check before buying.

The Theorem is a wonderful amp for both singe and balanced; it's your output device (earphone or headphone) that will determine if the signal improves or merely sounds different.

Hi Shigzeo,

Firstly, thanks for explaining on the balance thingy with iems. I heard some folks mention that you will get better result using balanced cable with headphones than with iems. What is your opinion on this? Thanks in advance for your input, if any.

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #111 of 482
  Hi Shigzeo,

Firstly, thanks for explaining on the balance thingy with iems. I heard some folks mention that you will get better result using balanced cable with headphones than with iems. What is your opinion on this? Thanks in advance for your input, if any.

I think he just did, BA drivers being what's in most iem's.  Right?

Nov 15, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #112 of 482
I just got home to find that my wife had already opened my usps package from TTVJ, needless to say she wasn't happy when she discovered the bill. 

That aside I am very impressed that the package is sealed, every other amp that I have purchased has not been sealed, it is also of high tensile strength and took some effort to remove.  The box slides out and I expected to see the Theorem nestled in some sort of foam to absorb shock (I am sure that USPS/FedEx/UPS do not care for the package the way that they should), although prior to opening the packaging I could feel it sliding around so I knew that this was not the case.

This aside every aspect of the Theorem oozes quality it easily surpasses any of the previous amps that I have owned.  It is currently charging and I am having a hard time waiting for the charge to complete. 

My Theorem actually came with the power switch on (no led so the battery was depleted) and I turned it off before charging, do all Theorems come this way?

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #113 of 482

I think he just did, BA drivers being what's in most iem's.  Right?

I understand the part about BA and iem. But does that naturally mean headphones will benefit from balanced?

My Theorem actually came with the power switch on (no led so the battery was depleted) and I turned it off before charging, do all Theorems come this way?

I would be surprised if that is so. I think it is usually switched off. Most amps I have encountered out of the box have at least 1/3 power left in them. I could be wrong with the Theorem.

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #117 of 482
It is certainly the best combo unit I have heard to date, however I am not sure if I will be able to get past the hiss. It reminds of low level analog hiss from a cassette or 8 track, not really as bad as from a vinyl imo. The hiss isnt loud however you can certainly hear it all the time if you listen for it which so far is the main thing that I try not to focus on however ultimately do. Maybe the best route to go would be the db with the glacier (TTVJ's deal is hard to pass up), port (the low battery life kind of nukes that) or maybe another amp. Or if it is the luck of the draw I could request another Theorem and pray it doesnt hiss.

Nov 16, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #120 of 482
The International is ALO's most comprehensive portable. It doesn't perform as well as the Theorem does but it is a very very good machine. It is also the first ALO portable amp to not hiss much. But again, if ultimate performance is your thing, the 720 is it. Both have very powerful outputs for high ohm headphones but the Theorem extends way into the earphone level which is harder to drive for resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back