Cypher Labs new product : Vacuum tube Headphone Amplifier PRAUTES
May 7, 2014 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

rudi0504

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi Head Fi friends

After success with their portable DACs and Amp products , now Cypher Labs launching their new product :

PRAUTES

PRAUTES is vacuum tube headphone amplifier

Please read the specification below :

http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2F1hy5mbX&h=hAQGpgOVk&enc=AZPUq8_J1f15qM8vj8XxHInxlmaFvBKk6HyUTsvKYPTcLdSTFc86x2n3GqQl_A-agoL01MCRvlbPc4p_02S6x6z8OmIUQAAoEG3bMQANScDZQkUNV5umGnxZNMaReXmRWCujcqWgOecEXXrlLDw_QZ3X&s=1

Prautes

The PRAUTES, and other products, are produced in a collaboration between Coffman Labs and Cypher Labs, bringing together two firms with advanced technology expertise. The goal: unlock an unsurpassed listening experience for the audio customer.

The PRAUTES® is a world class vacuum tube headphone amplifier at an affordable, all inclusive price of $3900.

For one price you receive:
* The PRAUTES® in your choice of black or silver
* Custom 1 meter massive AC power cable in US, EU or UK termination; SUMITOMO OCC (single crystal/long crystal copper) copper conductor
* High end tube complement: 50L6 (RCA) and 12AU7 (Sylvania) tubes made in USA prior to 1970 – true New Old Stock (“NOS”)
* High end vintage capacitors: cold war era 2 microfarad polystyrene
* Full color product manual (see bottom of this page for the download)
* High quality design and hand made attention to detail: Made in USA

The PRAUTES is primarily a headphone amplifier, although it can also power small speakers and provides a line-out stage. The controls are optimized for headphone output and the result is an unbelievable clarity, presence and expansive soundstage. The PRAUTES drives a wide range of headphone types and provides for impedance matching. A very subtle bass boost feature is included.

PRAUTES defined: understood to be a reference to proper understanding and accurate action. PRAUTES AS DEFINED BY THE ANCIENT GREEKS expresses a character in which strength and gentleness are perfectly combined. The PRAUTES amplifier seeks to do just that—present music in a manner that delivers subtlety, image, detail, and excitement, all in an accurate manner that duplicates the live experience. The Prautes amplifier combines vintage tubes, military technology, and hand made USA components to create the ‘PRAUTES’ experience. The result is a legacy piece—one that is timeless and enduring.

The PRAUTES uses a 12AU7 tube gain stage to drive a pair of 50L6 tubes in push-pull mode. This provides for more power than needed for almost all headphones—and can drive high efficiency speakers with about 2 watts. Five separate output impedance settings are provided to match listening equipment, including 8 ohm speakers, standard headphones, high impedance headphones and In-Ear-Monitors.

The PRAUTES amplifier bears the signature of Damon Coffman. He trained in college as a concert violinist, obtained his graduate degree in physics through the U.S. Naval Postgraduate School, then built his career as an engineer in medical technology firms. While pioneering new technologies for medical companies, Damon began searching for audio equipment that would give his favorite pieces of music the beauty of a live performance. He found some of what he was looking for in the designs of classic amplifiers from the golden age of analog audio. He then combined his passion for music, art, and craft into heirloom quality products that embody his design philosophy of simplicity, elegance, and accessibility.

We are proud of our unique approach to audio and design, and we believe that our amplifiers will be enjoyed and cherished for many years to come.

To purchase this unique product, please contact us directly. Listening sessions can be scheduled in Portland, Oregon or other venues as announced.

8 / 9

Operation
Each of the four inputs are independent. Connect your line sources such as CD player, TV, or iPod to any of the four inputs. Since there are no digital switches (which can degrade the audio signal), it is recommended that unused devices connected to the PRAUTES be turned down or off.

The headphone outputs and speaker outputs are independent. Only the selected output is used. High efficiency (90db or more) 8 ohm speakers work best.

The line output is appropriate for powered speakers, power amplifiers, or any other device with a line input that has an input impedance of 100K ohms or greater. When used to supply a line output to another amplifier, the PRAUTES amplifier acts like a pre-amplifier.

Controls
Volume: This heritage quality finely manufactured potentiometer controls the headphone, speaker and and line output

Input Switch: Selects one of four line inputs

Input impedance on each input is 100K Ω
Tip: Use the ‘Mute’ position when changing input cables

Impedance (Ω) Switch: Headphone and speaker settings

300 Ω: High impedance headphones
100 Ω: Standard for many Studio headphones
32 Ω: Standard consumer headphones
8 Ω: Speakers or very low impedance headphones.
IEM: In-Ear-Headphones

Bass Boost Switch: Provides approximately +3dB boost with a variable roll-off point

The bass boost circuit gives a subtle increase in bass response. This control eliminates the high phase shift that occurs with typical tone controls. The boost amount is the same for all settings, but the frequency point of the boost ranges from 47Hz to 31Hz. This allows for very fine tuning of the bass response. Match this setting in coordination with the Impedance Switch to match the selected headphone, type of music chosen and your preferences.

Output Switch: Selects output type

SPK: Output to rear speaker jacks—use 8 Ω impedance
XLR: Output to balanced XLR jacks
Mute: No speaker output — use for independent line output mode
1/4″: Output to 1/4″ (6mm) Headphone jack
1/8″: Output to 1/8″ (3.5mm) Headphone jack

Line output is always active and volume controlled. We recommend connecting to any input impedance 100K ohms or greater.

Specifications
Available Colors: Black or Silver

Gain:
Line Stage: approximately 16dB
Headphone power: > 1 Watt, depending on load

Bass Boost:
31, 36, 41, or 47Hz boost of approximately 3dB (6dBm)
There are no extra active circuit elements are engaged!

Ground Lift Switch:
Use only if there is ground loop hum in your AC supply wiring.

Tube Complement:
Four 50L6 tubes are supplied for the output stage
Two 12AU7 tubes are supplied for the input/line stage

Annodized tube shields are provided to cover the tubes. The use of the tube shields is optional.

Frequency Response:
20Hz to 20KHz +.2dB to -.75dB into matched resistive load
Note: Can vary slightly based on tubes installed

Dimensions:
12 ½” D x 7 ¾” H x 9 ½” W / cm D x cm H x cm W

Weight:
16 pounds / 7.3 kilograms (not including AC power cable)

AC Power:
Depending on destination country the PRAUTES amplifier voltage setting is preset at the factory for 120v or 240v operation.

What makes the PRAUTES unique?
- The PRAUTES is a tube-based analog amplifier. It is powered by a small, custom made, internal regulated semiconductor power supply— thus allowing single box construction.

- The PRAUTES is hand assembled entirely in the U.S.A at Coffman Labs with point to point wiring—it should last decades. All contact points are mechanical as well as electrical

- The PRAUTES is electrically rugged and meant to last

- The PRAUTES chassis is a 100% machined (not stamped metal) and able to take abuse. All chassis parts are interlocked in specially designed machined slots so that only four bolts per side are required to keep the structure intact

Power Cable: Yes, it is included!!
1. SUMITOMO OCC (single crystal/long crystal copper) copper conductor
2. 3-layers of damping isolate vibrations
3. EMI insulation – outermost aluminal plated copper braid to isolate any crosstalk and interference
4. Rhorodium plated plug for very clear audio, will not oxidize
5. Resistance 0.0280 Ω/m

Prautes® Product Manual

May 7, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 58
May 7, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 58
May 7, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 58
It was probably 5 months since I heard it and was still a prototype then (as such looked different).

My memory was bad but I thought it sounded quite neutral actually. Won't st it was bassy nor treble focused. I didn't have my cans with me & heard it with David's demo headphones (HD6x0? & Audeze).

I'm sure since then David would have tweaked it further.

May 19, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #5 of 58
With permission from David at Cypher Labs I'm posting these pictures. When I saw that Coffman was making a headphone amp, after seeing a review of his pre-amp on Stereophile which had issues in the construction, I had natural concern about the safety of the design (of the pre-amp, which I assumed was to be the basis of the headphone amp) and brought them up with Coffman directly on Facebook, given that we've had issues in the past with a (now long gone) manufacturer of tube amps.

Since they are very open to discussion of the design and happy to have these pictures posted I'm restoring this thread (which I removed while discussion was underway) to let people discuss the amp. While I can anticipate some what people will likely say, please do be polite.

May 19, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #6 of 58
With permission from David at Cypher Labs I'm posting these pictures. When I saw that Coffman was making a headphone amp, after seeing a review of his pre-amp on Stereophile which had issues in the construction, I had natural concern about the safety of the design (of the pre-amp, which I assumed was to be the basis of the headphone amp) and brought them up with Coffman directly on Facebook, given that we've had issues in the past with a (now long gone) manufacturer of tube amps.

Since they are very option to discussion of the design and happy to have these pictures posted I'm restoring this thread (which I removed while discussion was underway) to let people discuss the amp. While I can anticipate some what people will likely say, please do be polite.

Thank you Amos , to repost this Prautes tube amp

May 23, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #7 of 58
Thank you for e early attention on our new vacuum tube amplifier. We think it is pretty exciting, especially sine it is the first in a line of tube products based on The Prautes platform. By the way Prautes is pronounced "prow-teez" for those who, like me, didn't study a lot of Greek in school. Damon Coffman, The Prautes designer and engineer extraordinaire, has many talents, including languages and music (violin) and has a better ear than I, so I'm always jealous.

Here is the link the Cypher Labs site with all the product details and manual:

http://www.cypherlabs.com/products/prautes/

Jeff Dorgay of TONEAudio Magazine will publish the audio review soon. Jeff is the first professional reviewer to get a crack at The Prautes production version. Look for it here

http://www.tonepublications.com

Our next listen opportunity will be in late June at Echo Audio in Portland, Oregon. Look on our Facebook for updates.

We will also attend Capital Hill Audio Fest in late July. SPOILER ALERT: we will have a new product to announce. Oh, and Cypher Labs has a new portable amp coming in a few weeks or less.

Thanks everyone for all your comments and best wishes you've been sending text/email/twitter/Facebook...etc.

Cheers,

David Maudlin
Cypherlabs.com

Jun 12, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #8 of 58
...We will also attend Capital Hill Audio Fest in late July. SPOILER ALERT: we will have a new product to announce. Oh, and Cypher Labs has a new portable amp coming in a few weeks or less.

Thanks everyone for all your comments and best wishes you've been sending text/email/twitter/Facebook...etc.

Cheers,

David Maudlin
Cypherlabs.com

I'm looking forward to auditioning the Prautes at Capital Audiofest (suggest you stay away from Capitol Hill, you may find the levels of distortion and cross-talk unacceptably high
beyersmile.png
). If you could bring along a 4 pin female XLR to dual 3 pin male XLR adapter, it'd be great.  I'd love the try the Prautes with my LCD-X's.  Thanks!

Sep 8, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #9 of 58
I'm very surprised there's very little feedback on this amp. It's an amazing amp! Is the supply on this very scarce?

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #11 of 58
I had a chance to audition the Prautes at CanMania and was very impressed. With the LCD-X and LCD-3, the Prautes is a very neutral, detailed, and musical amp, with a broad soundstage. The ability to adjust the impedance makes a big difference in controlling the sound signature with different headphones. The Prautes also has a very subtle bass boost control with adjustable roll-off. The enclosure is a work or art. Overall, I'd put it in the top tier of head-fi amps.

I also had a chance to listen to the Liquid Glass, and it's another superb amp. I can't directly compare the Prautes with the Liquid Glass, but either would be amazing to own.

Sep 8, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #12 of 58
  @__@ how would you compare this and the liquid glass?
also does it come with custom power cord?
:))

It does come with one, but I haven't received mine, having issues here and there (not to do with the cables).

And @Barry S is spot on, its a very neutral amp, I would say sounding more towards an SS type sound with wide soundstage and neutrality. I would have to say the Prautes is the fastest tube amp I've heard, it's impact is addictive. The liquid glass is not slow in any way, but its not as fast and slightly warmer. I had issues with the liquid glass so I swapped mine for the Prautes.

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #13 of 58
  It does come with one, but I haven't received mine, having issues here and there (not to do with the cables).

And @Barry S is spot on, its a very neutral amp, I would say sounding more towards an SS type sound with wide soundstage and neutrality. I would have to say the Prautes is the fastest tube amp I've heard, it's impact is addictive. The liquid glass is not slow in any way, but its not as fast and slightly warmer. I had issues with the liquid glass so I swapped mine for the Prautes.

-.- issues again, so sorry to hear that T__T wish that i could demo your cypher some day, sound so promising 

Oct 20, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #15 of 58

Since they are very open to discussion of the design and happy to have these pictures posted I'm restoring this thread (which I removed while discussion was underway) to let people discuss the amp. While I can anticipate some what people will likely say, please do be polite.

Wow, This is a bit scary!
eek.gif
 Somewhat concerned about ordering this amp! 
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back