Customer Service - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Nov 18, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #271 of 279

Quote:
Didn't know about this thread, I just posted about my experience with V-Moda, and someone suggested I add it here. Here is the post:

First of all, let's get this out of the way...I am in no way affiliated with V-Moda and receive no benefit from posting the following information.

It has been a long time since I've been impressed enough by a company to spread the word, but today V-Moda did just that. Earlier this week I ordered a "Verified Like New" set of Crossfade LPs directly from their website. When they arrived I was pleasantly surprised that they threw in some cool swag along with the headphones! Unfortunately, the Crossfades suffered from the dreaded "cracked plastic" problem that has been mentioned here and elsewhere. I called customer service today and left a voicemail, not really expecting to get a response any time soon. To my surprise, I got a return call just a couple hours later. We discussed the problem, and I won't go into too much detail but they went above and beyond to fix the situation. Thanks guys!

I've owned a lot of headphones over the years, from a lot of brands but I have to say this was by far the best customer service experience I've had.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/580846/props-to-v-modas-customer-service

It's great to see good stories posted here.  

You mentioned not knowing about this thread.  It started many months ago when I happened to have customer service experiences that were night and day apart in terms of quality and responsiveness.  I began the thread by comparing the outstanding customer service I received from Audeze when it turned out LCD2r1 headphones developed a problem with their drivers.  I was one of those affected.  At about the same time, I experienced driver failure with my Grado PS1K.  Audeze's service was outstanding; Grado's was not.

The comparison was intended to show that Head-Fi'ers don't have to stand for poor customer service.  Great customer service is a standard we should all demand and consistently receive.  By and large, I tried to keep the thread respectful, courteous and informative and hope most agree that I did a reasonable job of it.  Originally, this thread was about Grado versus Audeze.  When Grado finally (third trip to Brooklyn) fixed my PS1K, I changed the name of the thread to more generally apply to customer service issues and not be limited to just Grado or Audeze.

From time to time, people still post about their experiences, good and bad, in this thread.  It would be wonderful if more people would focus on posting their customer service experiences in a more concentrated place, wherever that might be, so people would know the most likely place to look for useful information about the subject.  I would be very happy if that place was this thread.  The fact that people still remember this thread and recommend it to others is gratifying as is your story of how good customer service can and should be.  Thanks for posting.

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #272 of 279
All that was wanted was a simple pad measurement because, well why not. It's not listed in any of their specs for the SHURE DJ550.

Someone in the big ortho thread sent them an email.
 Sounds pretty straightforward right?
I mean  you SHOULD know a detail about your own product right, maybe the person was asking for a really good reason.

This is the response: 

Quote: Shure
Hi

sorry but no we do not the measurements for the cushions

Thank you for your time.

Yeah, thanks a lot ok.  What is it a horribly important secret that will make or break the company? Maybe they were too busy
surfing " Friendface "

I think they forgot to type the words.sorry but no we do not want to be bothered

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #273 of 279

Quote:
All that was wanted was a simple pad measurement because, well why not. It's not listed in any of their specs for the SHURE DJ550.

Someone in the big ortho thread sent them an email.
 Sounds pretty straightforward right?
I mean  you SHOULD know a detail about your own product right, maybe the person was asking for a really good reason.

This is the response: 

Yeah, thanks a lot ok.  What is it a horribly important secret that will make or break the company? Maybe they were too busy
surfing " Friendface "

I think they forgot to type the words.sorry but no we do not want to be bothered

I don't think it's a question of not wanting to be bothered, or that it's a secret, but more that they probably didn't know. It's just a very specific information, not something that's common. Also pads are very prone to change, so maybe they didn't bother to measure it because the value they would tell you might not at all correspond to reality.

I really like this thread btw, wish more stories would come up.

Apr 15, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #274 of 279
Apr 21, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #275 of 279
May 3, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #276 of 279
This seems like an old tread that has not been given dedication that it deserves... One word that springs to mind is "Care". Two companies that come to mind from personal experience are RHA and Trinity Audio within this regard. When i mailed both companies with an issue  the response was personal with a defined course of action to remedy my problem. Have emailed V-Moda regarding an issue with the left driver and all i get is an automated responder without the follow up. 

May 9, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #277 of 279
I need to dig this thread up again because these are the response that I got from Audio-Technica USA, when I tried to get some parts or repairs for my Japanese only model IEM. (Reposted from ATH-CK100Pro thread.) I promise that AT USA will not get anymore money from me. :frowning2:
 Hi Jim,

You did not answer my question. Instead you are being cold to me, and I tried to be polite to you. If you think this kind of service is good for your company, good luck with that.

Thanks,
-[aerosuffly]

On May 9, 2016, at 2:20 PM, Service <service@atus.com> wrote:

Dear Mr. [aerosuffly],

The ear phone warranty has expired, and the CK100Pro is not repairable. 

Sincerely,

Jim Schotts

JAMES M. SCHOTTS
Service Manager
P 330.686.2600 ext. 2750
F 330.686.6277
Audio-Technica U.S., Inc.
1221 Commerce Drive, Stow, Ohio 44224
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, May 09, 2016 11:38 AM
To: Service <service@atus.com>
Subject: Re: Parts and Repair for ATH-CK100Pro

Hi Jim,

Audio-Technica was able to help many members on head-fi forums to get their Japanese only models repair by acting as a proxy to send it back to repair in Japan. Why that could not work again in this case?

Thanks,
-[aerosuffly]

On May 9, 2016, at 5:32 AM, Service <service@atus.com> wrote:

Dear  Mr. [aerosuffly],

Thank you for contacting Audio Technica U.S.  We don't sell this model in the U.S. The earphones are not repairable. I recommend you purchase a new pair of earphones from an Audio Technica dealer here in the U.S. You can view the models we sell on our web site at the following link.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/site/c35da94027e94819/index.html

Best regards,

Jim Schotts

JAMES M. SCHOTTS
Service Manager
P 330.686.2600 ext. 2750
F 330.686.6277
Audio-Technica U.S., Inc.
1221 Commerce Drive, Stow, Ohio 44224

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, May 07, 2016 12:52 PM
To: Repair <Repair@atus.com>
Subject: Parts and Repair for ATH-CK100Pro

Hi,

I have a pair of ATH-CK100Pro in-ear monitors that I bought when I was in Japan a few years ago. It is out of warrantee. The headphones start to have channel imbalance issue where it is louder on the right channel. It is especially noticeable with the vocal, which is shifted to the right channel. I switch the driver cups between the left and right, and I still hear more sound from the right channel, so I think the problem is not on the driver but probably the cable. Would it be possible to get a replacement cable for this model from AT USA? Also, would you be able to get an estimate quote for a repair of this unit if I need to send it in?

Thank you,
-[aerosuffly]

May 9, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #279 of 279
Please excuse me if the following link isn't quite all the way correct but I think it may be a starting point: https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/support/.

Reading your post, it seems to me you have an impasse with AT USA because your product isn't or wasn't intended for sale in the domestic US market. As such, you repeatedly receive responses to the effect that the product isn't repairable and is out of warranty, which is relevant as to the cost of repair but not to securing the repair itself. You may have better luck dealing with AT Japan product support and bypass AT USA. Email, perhaps translated first to Japanese, may secure a more satisfactory reponse for you and should, at least, confirm whether a solution exists short of buying something new. If they can help you, you'll likely have to be willing to ship to Japan and pay return shipping.

Can't promise anything but I think this is probably the only path forward.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back