Custom IEM Review: Hidition NT-6 Pro – Clear & Precise Fun
Jan 30, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #226 of 527
Congrats and enjoy smithyone1l.
Thanks for your impressions man, do not hesitate to give us more details.
I am still debating if I should go for a DAC or the Ibasso DX100/Hdp r10/ Fiio X5 (for home use) when I have the money.

Feb 2, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #227 of 527

So I now have both the NT6 pros and the HDP r10. The DAP has continued to impress me even with my Mages. Just incredibly detailed, resolving and very musical.

First listen to the NT6 pros tells me these are in another league to my Mages. The bass slam is incredible. Detail is there; treble crisp and extended. I get the bright description but coming from my Mages perhaps the difference isn't that great. They are even clearer and more resolving and add the low end the Mages were missing.

I don't want to judge on just 30mins listening. But wow. This is probably the end of the line for me. Soundstage is big. Bigger than the Mages by a bit and the Mages were large. Midrange is very clear. Not quite as forward but there and smooth and very detailed. Instrument placement and separation is great.

I've put some fairly sibilant tracks on and don't find these offensive at all. As for lacking bass. Hells no. I don't think I'd want more than these offer. I'd find more overbearing.

More impressions once they have a lot more burn in. Leaving my player on repeat for the whole of the next few days.

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #228 of 527
That's pretty much the way I hear them. However, I bet the extra power in the r10 really let's the nt6 pro shine. They really take advantage of any extra power allotted them.

I wish I had a way to hear the r10 locally as I need to decide between it, the x5, and the dx90 in the upcoming months as I cannot justify getting all of them.

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #230 of 527

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #231 of 527
Well I have the NT6 and a X5 loaner so I will test it out and let you know.

Wow, I would love to hear how the hidition pairs with the x5, and how the pairing compares to the 901 and the zx1 pairings as well.

Feb 3, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #234 of 527
  calyx m is also something to keep on the radar

Especially as they've just announced, on their facebook page, that they will be removing the Wi-Fi and using the space to add a fullsize SD slot to the existing microSD slot

So, the Calyx-M will now have 64gb onboard memory, with potential for a 256gb fullsize SD, and a 128gb microSD, making... 448gb!

Granted, those memory cards won't be cheap, but still, the point is, it has plenty of flexibility for expansion, as and when you want to. You could alternatively choose to use an adaptor so you could insert a microSD card into the fullsize SD slot, thus allowing use of 2 microSD cards instead of one fullsize + one micro.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/687944/999-calyx-m-with-dxd-dsd-64gb-single-sd-storage/645#post_10231221

With these changes, I'm quite excited about what this DAP may bring to the table.

Feb 4, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #237 of 527
Well, little update from me regarding the NT6 pros. They are definitely very bright. The brightest earphones I've heard by some way. With some tracks they are amazing. With others I am not so sure as yet.

They have only had around 30 hours use so I am hoping they are either going to settle down or I get used to the edge on the treble impact. Clear no doubt. But perhaps at the expense of the rest of the presentation; the insistent treble can be distracting when trying to hear the whole track and as AJ said, it can sound unnatural. The midrange sometimes takes a back seat to the treble.

Also the pin from the cable broke and snapped off when I tried to switch it with my Beat Audio Sapphire cable. Pretty disappointing build on it for such expensive earphones. Hopefully, Hidition will send me a replacement.

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #238 of 527
  Some returns of various DAPS on my NT6:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-jan-17th-2014/4170#post_10235243

Thanks for the informative review, I have been counting the seconds waiting. 
wink.gif

I am hoping to go unamped with the X5, but I personally find the Hidition to be somewhat power hungry. While NT6 Pro sounds outstanding with all my DAPs, it responds in spades with a huge leap in dynamics that takes it up another notch in performance when the DAP volume is raised significantly or when paired with a reasonable amp for low volumes. This is important to me because I like to listen a lower volumes than most people. However, it doesn't take much to add the dynamics to my low volume listening, my BH2 is sufficient. 

1. Did you notice a large swing in dynamics going from the 901 down to the ZX1 given the ZX1's much lower output?
  2. Does the X5 provide enough power to match the dynamics of the 901?
  3. Do the dynamics dry up on the X5/NT6 pairing at lower volumes? 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #239 of 527
Thanks for the informative review, I have been counting the seconds waiting. :wink:

I am hoping to go unamped with the X5, but I personally find the Hidition to be somewhat power hungry. While NT6 Pro sounds outstanding with all my DAPs, it responds in spades with a huge leap in dynamics that takes it up another notch in performance when the DAP volume is raised significantly or when paired with a reasonable amp for low volumes. This is important to me because I like to listen a lower volumes than most people. However, it doesn't take much to add the dynamics to my low volume listening, my BH2 is sufficient. 

• Did you notice a large swing in dynamics going from the 901 down to the ZX1 given the ZX1's much lower output?
  • Does the X5 provide enough power to match the dynamics of the 901?
  • Do the dynamics dry up on the X5/NT6 pairing at lower volumes? 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
You will certainly have better dynamics with the 901 and the X5 will be just behind. However, the ZX1 added clarity and speed will allow for low volume listening as well.

Something important: the 901 does have an issue: volume adjustment is made with large steps, so not as precise as with the other 2.

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #240 of 527
You will certainly have better dynamics with the 901 and the X5 will be just behind. However, the ZX1 added clarity and speed will allow for low volume listening as well.

Something important: the 901 does have an issue: volume adjustment is made with large steps, so not as precise as with the other 2.

Huge huge issue, one of the reasons why I sold my 901, just couldn't enjoy it with my nt6 pros

Users who are viewing this thread

Back