Custom IEM Review: Hidition NT-6 Pro – Clear & Precise Fun
Jan 9, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #196 of 527

Yes, welcome to the club, lololololo & smithyone1l.
smithyone1l, I hear the Pros rather like Barra and I agree with almost everything he said about them.

Now that I've spent enough weeks with them, I can safely thank everybody here for the help, and say how much I am happy with my choice.

Before going further, I have to confess a few things about me that might help to understand my point of view.
I am basshead, but it is also about the quality (especially the sub-bass).
I hate brighness, harshness and although I am more tolerant with sibilance than before, I am not a big fan of it.
I do not like treble enhancements, and I I feel littérally assaulted by peaky treble.
Like Barra, I  listen to music at low volume.

I sometimes had to cling to my chair because I had the impression to be shaken by the bass
basshead.gif
And I am barely exagerating when I say that.
The bass is there when needed, with the "ooooomph", the air, the sub-bass, the impact, but the control is dictatorial.
The only word that comes to my mind is "awesome": if you like to feel the bass, the Pros allow you to feel it.
It can be subtile, or completely absent with acoustic music, or heavy with rap music. Remarkable. 

About the brightness: I won't say there isn't any, but you'll hear it mostly with artists who like to add brightness in their songs (David Guetta, Sweedish House Mafia...), but even then I feel the need to increase the volume.
The harshness I heard is gone now, and my worst tracks are not offensive.
The Pros won't hide sibilance, but as Averoge_Joe said, it is not an issue at all, at least to my ears.
Imho,the sound is a bit too clear to be qualified as completely natural but it is not far and a dap with an organic sound will add more body to your music without loosing the clearness.

I also hear the enhancement in the treble region, but (and I cannot believe I am saying this) I am a big fan here: again like Average_JoeBarra I do not find it agressive, and with very capable singers, you might want to increase the volume.

The soundstage is outstanding: I do not feel like I am listening to music, but rather like I am watching the performance, or like I am in the middle of the music with details every where (even sometimes behind you 
eek.gif
 !!!). Incredible.
I do not manage to estimate the scale of the soundstage as I do not have enough experience in this hobby, but the impression of space is always present in every song.

I remember  Ardgedee said that at low volume, the Pros are rather neutral and I completely agree with him: you will hardly notice (even not at all) the brighness or the enhancement in the treble region.

To conclude, I shall say that I am relieved, not only because I made the good choice, but especially because I am completely satisfied.
For the first time I feel I am done with my headphone quest.
The lack of warmness,  is not an issue: this pair just immerses you in the music and you will often feel the need to increase the volume to flood you there.
It is a little like when you are in a swimming pool: sometimes you just want to dive and and stay in apnea.
The NT6-Pro is the best compromise between a critical/ analytical  listening, and a contemplative listening that allows you to feel the music and emotion.

Those are kind of comments I like! The way you describe them, they sound great. Thanks for that Pondu.

I'll be anxious to hear how the NT6 Pro sounds through the HDP R10 as well. What other DAPs do you have to compare sound to the HDP R10?

I only have a Galacy Note 2, which sounds pretty good, comparable IMO to my last Cowon player the S9, which was significantly better than any other MP3 player I'd heard before. I've also had a Sony MP3- which has great impact, but not as refined as the Cowon.

I also have a USB DAC with a headphone output:

http://www.fidelityaudio.co.uk/hi-fi-products/dacs/fidelity-audio-dac-150/

Which is apparently a pretty decent headphone amplifier- it's a DAC comparable to 1000 dollar units which I demoed before buying it, including Naim and Benchmark. It sounds much larger, more detailed and with better bass extension and control than my Note 2. It's better in every area actually. So I can give some impression with this vs the Note 2 when I get my Nt6-pros.

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #198 of 527
Nice impressions Pondu. Was this paired with the Sony from your earlier picture or through multiple sources?

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #199 of 527
BTW, I am part of the Fiio X5 preview tour so I will be able to review the X5 with the NT6 Pro. I am fourth on the list and we each get the X5 for 10 days - so including mail it will still be a month off.

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #200 of 527
Thanks guys, I am really enjoying my pair more and more.
smithyone1l, I look forward to reading your impressions about the NT6-Pro and the combo with your DAC.

Quote:
  Nice impressions Pondu. Was this paired with the Sony from your earlier picture or through multiple sources?

Yes indeed.
There is less space than with my MX3, less background noise, but the sound is more natural.
For portable use, both the MX3 and F807 are excellent, but for home use, It will not be sufficient.

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #201 of 527
Ordered and paid for NT6 pro in clear finish.

I'll get them start of February along with a Hdp r10 from Japan. That's provided I can arrange to collect it when I go snowboarding in Niseko in 2 weeks. Otherwise I'll have to wait for April.

I'll do a little review (for what it's worth) after I've burned them in.

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #202 of 527
Ordered and paid for NT6 pro in clear finish.

...along with a Hdp r10 from Japan.

I can't recall which thread, but I do remember somewhere here on Head-Fi, someone mentioned that they've seen plenty of second-hand HDP-R10s for sale (I think it was in Japan), so, depending on price, it might be worth you checking out that option. On the other hand, the brand-new price of the HDP-R10 keeps reducing, so you may just choose to pay the new retail price.

The DX100 / HDP-R10 is a fantastic DAP, in terms of SQ, but if you always use your DAP in your pocket, then I would advise against it, as the lack of physical control buttons quickly becomes frustrating. Other than that, they're generally great DAPs.

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #203 of 527

I can't recall which thread, but I do remember somewhere here on Head-Fi, someone mentioned that they've seen plenty of second-hand HDP-R10s for sale (I think it was in Japan), so, depending on price, it might be worth you checking out that option. On the other hand, the brand-new price of the HDP-R10 keeps reducing, so you may just choose to pay the new retail price.

The DX100 / HDP-R10 is a fantastic DAP, in terms of SQ, but if you always use your DAP in your pocket, then I would advise against it, as the lack of physical control buttons quickly becomes frustrating. Other than that, they're generally great DAPs.

I think AnakChan seen plenty of R10 for sale second hand in Japan. So it is good for the users in Japan, not for us
frown.gif

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #204 of 527

I think AnakChan seen plenty of R10 for sale second hand in Japan. So it is good for the users in Japan, not for us
frown.gif

Yes, I only mentioned it because smithyone11 is intending to obtain one whilst visiting Japan.

Still, the X5 is getting closer.... (and the DX90) 
beerchug.gif

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #206 of 527
Thanks for that guys.

In terms of a second hand one the issue may be with finding where they are for sale. Had a look on Japanese eBay and couldn't see one. I was hoping to get an Amazon delivery to a convenience store as they do cash on delivery. However, seems amazon is now out of stock. So I'm finding finding out if my lodge rental company can keep a delivery for me; otherwise I'd definitely miss whilst out on the slopes. The lengths we go to. ...

Do you think the X5 will be in the same league as the hdp r10?

I don't like the size, interface, controls etc of the r10. I'm just looking for semi - portable earphone nirvana.

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #207 of 527
Thanks for that guys.

In terms of a second hand one the issue may be with finding where they are for sale. Had a look on Japanese eBay and couldn't see one. I was hoping to get an Amazon delivery to a convenience store as they do cash on delivery. However, seems amazon is now out of stock. So I'm finding finding out if my lodge rental company can keep a delivery for me; otherwise I'd definitely miss whilst out on the slopes. The lengths we go to. ...

I don't like the size, interface, controls etc of the r10. I'm just looking for semi - portable earphone nirvana.

Same league? I would guess, it is a bit difficult. DX100/R10 set the bar quite high and it's thick body gives a lot of advantage for sure. Dac chip is top of the line, a desktop level product. Amp section is one of the best ones in the market. You lose from battery life and portability, as these daps are quite thick. The only rival of R10 is HM901, which is another brick.

So I would expect X5 to be come pretty close to R10 but would I call them in the same league, I need to hear them by myself to answer to this question.

As a side note, Joker was in CES and he reported with his UM Miracles, X5 was coming close to HM901. So make your own conclusion mate.

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #208 of 527
Thanks for that guys.

I'm not sure whether I can post this , but probably it'd help you if you're unable to get the R10 in Japan for whatever reasons

http://pricejapan.com/front/e_service_japanvisitors.php

Cheers

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #210 of 527
HDP-R10 purchased! Along with silicon case and screen protectors. 

Amazon strangely just had them back in stock for 517 USD as I was about to buy from another Japanese retailer. Delivered on Tuesday to my lodge rental company and I'll get it next Saturday when I arrive. Let's see what it does with my Unique Melody Mage!

One step closer to audio nirvana. NT6-pros arrive on 2nd February care of my wife. Quite a nice feeling actually, because hopefully this will be the end of the portable audio quest! No more decisions to make! Thanks for all the advice Headfiers.

Was partly thinking of holding off to hear more about the Fiio X5/X7, but I guess the HDP-R10 is not going to be easily beaten- even if it is a brick. Plus as AJ has said in his review the DX100 works very well with the NT6-pros, so the HDP-R10 should also be great with them. Most people seem to hear them similarly, or favour the HDP-R10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back