crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Jan 26, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #2,731 of 3,338
Would that 1k to 4k region be considered shouty? Or is that still within the elevation for a typical harmanic curve?
It looks very nice to me on paper.

Jan 26, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #2,732 of 3,338
I didn't say they where the same I said they where similar in massive sound and technicalities. I didn't find the erlko had a better mid-range...

Can you give me the list of what can compete with m5? technically yes but in terms of massive intensity sound I didn't find anything in the totl.

Tried : ve8 (demo universal), Elysium (demo), soundwriter K (custom but I had the seal and fit quiet well and I tried the uni version too), u18t, se5ref, k10, all the ambiant acoustic series...

I had access to the best cables and basically best dap : sp1000 + amp, w1z k project etc and cables like 1960k horus and even code 51 cable...

After multiple comparisons I never had the full size sound feeling I have with the m5. In bass impact and extension for both high and low...

So can't wait to read your list. As far as it seems you are a treble/mids head please let your taste beside I just tell me what is equal to m5 in terms of impact intensity full size sound... There are lcdi4 can have this kind of intensity even if I don't like them a lot and there are not really iems but more mini headphones.
I will only assume that by “full sized sound” you mean overloaded intensity, and you can’t expect a list that aims at some objectivity to judge an IEM by how “massive” it sounds (no idea what that means anyhow so I assume intense)

In terms of impact, the M5 does have great bass, but something like the Legend X sends it back to primary school if bring judged on bass alone

The M5 might be the best IEM for your specific preferences, but that idk how that translates to “PuT It On TOp Of YOuR LiST”

It’s like me protesting that the Elysium has an A+ when “IT’s mY FaVoURItE IEM EvER” and should be in a tier of its own

Jan 26, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #2,733 of 3,338
I will only assume that by “full sized sound” you mean overloaded intensity, and you can’t expect a list that aims at some objectivity to judge an IEM by how “massive” it sounds (no idea what that means anyhow so I assume intense)

In terms of impact, the M5 does have great bass, but something like the Legend X sends it back to primary school if bring judged on bass alone

The M5 might be the best IEM for your specific preferences, but that idk how that translates to “PuT It On TOp Of YOuR LiST”

It’s like me protesting that the Elysium has an A+ when “IT’s mY FaVoURItE IEM EvER” and should be in a tier of its own

Legend X mid bass bloat bleh!

One thing I’d like to know is which m5 are you talking about. There are like several variations of it, see Crins measurements. And it’s on the market for this whole time. I would buy it myself. But don’t know what I would be buying :wink:

Jan 26, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #2,734 of 3,338
Someone please make a Reviewer Ranking List thread so that discussion can move elsewhere. :poop::shrug:
Actually a good idea. But will end abruptly like
1. Crinacle
:wink:

Jan 26, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #2,735 of 3,338

One thing I’d like to know is which m5 are you talking about. There are like several variations of it, see Crins measurements. And it’s on the market for this whole time. I would buy it myself. But don’t know what I would be buying :wink:
I had the final tuning, and it’s a great IEM sure, but comes with its own peculiarities. The bass and treble are both pretty intense and while the midrange isn’t recessed, it just lacks in character in comparison. Feels overlooked to me

Jan 26, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #2,736 of 3,338

Pretty easy to identify actually, the new tuning (3rd) has the bunny ears logo. 2nd one had FIR logo!!

Im deciding between erlk and M5 now!!

Jan 26, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #2,737 of 3,338

Elysium?

Bro seriously Elysium is nice but it's like they apply a freaking dsp on everything you play... It sounds all the time the same on every music and make the mid-range so lush etc ... come on, it cannot be on the very top because it's just nice and boring mids oriented dsp effect feeling

When I say put on the top list I wanted to say the s= section.

Legend X? Man. I'm talking about intensity in both high and low with incredible extension.

Legend x sound like Dr Dre beat with caviar on the top... Haha. Of course far better but you know what I mean it's just all about the bass.

M5 make the dream comes true : intensity, amazing technically, bass slam without loosing the mid-range and the crispy highs with incredible details.

2 owners of the soundwriter said that the details and textures on the M5 are far better than soundwriter... And it's basically a refined A18t.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #2,738 of 3,338
Actually a good idea. But will end abruptly like
1. Crinacle
:wink:
Check out Toranku and Aminus’ threads here on Head-Fi. Similar to Crinacle they are demoing units at high end head-fi shops, personal units, shows, loaners from individuals, etc. They’re just doing it because they like (love?) it, not to make a buck and they’re not beholden to any manufacturer, etc. and can call it like they see it without fear of being “blacklisted” from the free review units to keep the machine moving.

As others have pointed out though, that’s just 3 opinions in a sea of thousands in this hobby. Trust your own ears above all else as your ear anatomy and auditory preference is personal to each individual.

Jan 26, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #2,739 of 3,338
Elysium?

Bro seriously Elysium is nice but it's like they apply a freaking dsp on everything you play... It sound all the time the same on every music and make the mid-range so lush etc but come on it cannot be on the very top because it's just nice and boring mids oriented dsp effect.

When I say put on the top list I wanted to say the s= section.

Legend X? Man. I'm talking about intensity in both high and low with incredible extension.

Legend x sound like Dr Dre beat with caviar on the top... Haha. Of course far better but you know what I mean it's just all about the bass.

M5 make the dream come true : intensity, amazing technically, bass slam without loosing the mid-range and the crispy highs with incredible details.

Come one. 2 owners of the soundwriter said that the details and textures on the M5 are far better than soundwriter... And it's basically a refined A18t.
The dream where I was bored to death a week after receiving it sure :D

The Elysium’s treble has way better control and similar extension, vocals have texture that the M5 can’t even come close to reaching and yes, it is a very midrange-oriented IEM but when did you become the judge of what’s fun and boring lmao

Sure the DD in the M5 has better slam than the Elysium, but at least one makes for an actually unique sound signature, as opposed to good bass good treble overlooked midrange. I also much prefer flat bass so I’d still take the Elysium’s BA over the M5’s DD

The A18t has a completely different presentation - as you can see from my signature I kept that and sold the M5 - so I guess it isn’t so unanimously better lmao

I have enormous respect for Bogdan and his work but FiR have developed the same cult-like following (as Noble, Earsonics and a few others), where the owners of the IEMs are convinced their IEMs are God’s gift to mankind and nothing else has ever come close :D

Jan 26, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #2,740 of 3,338
It's no because I find my M5 are audio god's grail that nothing can come close... It's because I didn't find anything can come close that I found them audio god's grail.

Anyway. I would say M5 is a kind of game change. It's certainly not for everybody but everybody should listen to them as you did and compare to other totl before to buy a totl in this price range.

Jan 26, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #2,742 of 3,338
Elysium are really attractive because they sound really sweet and easy to like but the price is too high for an obviously mids oriented iems like them... Beware of the "love at first sight effect" with them. they are very "everything sounds the same"...

I prefer chameleon like iems like M5 or Spiral Ears. That's actually pretty rare but m5 are chameleon and work surprisingly good with classically music. Some people think they are only for pop/rock/hip hop.

That's is wrong. And something important is to pair them well with the dap. Not all of them make the M5 shine the best they can.

Jan 26, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #2,743 of 3,338
Elysium are really attractive because they sound really sweet and easy to like but the price is too high for an obviously mids oriented iems like them... Beware of the "love at first sight effect" with them. they are very "everything sounds the same"...

I prefer chameleon like iems like M5 or Spiral Ears. That's actually pretty rare but m5 are chameleon and work surprisingly good with classically music. Some people think they are only for pop/rock/hip hop.

That's is wrong. And something important is to pair them well with the dap. Not all of them make the M5 shine the best they can.
It’s too bad HeadFi doesn’t have a HaHa react

Users who are viewing this thread

Back