crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Oct 11, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #991 of 3,338
I'd put the Oriveti New Primacy in the B+ catto.... After an Effect Audio Ares II upgrade and a swap of the horrible rubbish tips which truly mess with the sound. They are some pretty damn capable iems. I still love them more then the Bravados and IE800. Everyone hears different though :)

Oct 11, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #992 of 3,338
Its interesting to note none of the IEMs in crinacle's Tier S are hybrids, and aside from a few most generally feature 6BAs or more. It'll be fun to see which is the first hybrid or single DD to make it into the top bracket.
I think for hybrids, in general there's a tendency to "dumb down" the BA tuning to match the timbre/decay/speed of the DDs, so absolute resolution is sacrificed. From what I've tried, if the reverse happened and you "wisen up" the DD to match the speed/detail levels of BAs, the timbre is off, and likely metallic, for example the W900. So most will take the organic/natural/coherent route, eg Legend X, Trio and N8.

The exception like Crin mentioned, is the Fourte, which throws the rulebook out the window and says look, we have a sh**load of detail to uncover, now it's time to shine! So the BA's end up doing their own thing, disregarding the DD, and the IEM sounds both warm and bright. Not for everyone, but dang if I'm not enchanted by the unique tuning.

Oct 11, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #993 of 3,338
I have both N5005 and Andromeda. No surprise Andros are good, but didn't expect N5005 to be so much behind.
Actually EX1000 is ahead of Andromeda if you got good DAP; on my modded 1Z it is

Oct 11, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #994 of 3,338
Actually EX1000 is ahead of Andromeda if you got good DAP; on my modded 1Z it is
Depends on preference too. I for one don't like the Andromedas. The mids seem murky to me on instrumental tracks.

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #996 of 3,338
A beautiful thick audiophile looking cable + a very funny strange looking long uncomfortable IEM. All in all looks a bit DIY :wink: Sounds quite bright and harsh. I preferred SB5. Where to listen to? On the next Canjam maybe.
Oh now im getting really curious bout it haha! I prefer my iems to sound on the brighter side

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #998 of 3,338
Depends on preference too. I for one don't like the Andromedas. The mids seem murky to me on instrumental tracks.
I like both; it’s just on my DAP EX1K is better by quite a margin compared to Andro; EX1K is sibilant but modded 1Z reduces sibilance by quite big margin and gave more natural and better timbre

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #999 of 3,338
EX1000 must be one of the most uncomfortable IEMs to wear though.
This is true; after one hour my ear is hurting like mad, especially with medium mandarin tips; though sound quality is excellent

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #1,001 of 3,338

This is true; after one hour my ear is hurting like mad, especially with medium mandarin tips; though sound quality is excellent

i have opposite experience: the fit is fine, it's the treble that gave me ear fatigue even just after 10 minutes of listening, although i did find the sound is great. maybe if it smooth out the treble a wee bit, it would be perfect

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #1,002 of 3,338
Hi crinacle!
Thanks for the comparisons, it is very helpful for me! I have a question about the ATH E70 vs IM02. Why did it have a higher rank than the IM02? There was so many reviews saying that the E70 is too warm, not “accurate”. Is E70 an upgrade from IM02, or these are completely 2 different iems?

Oct 12, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #1,003 of 3,338

I can see people feeling that the EX1k is really uncomfortable. A lot of times the tip selection and insert depth matters. But also the natural earcanal shape. I guess I'm sort of lucky both of my ears are pretty straight? Also, on top of this I usually go with small tips and a very deep fit. Going as deep as almost a CIEM-like insert depth. To me it kinda reduces the sibilance that many people felt and additionally to me it sounds really dynamic. Especially after the removal of the foam dampers inside the tube. All in all, I used that more than a few hours at a time on many occasions :p

Personally I really think it's one of the best IEMs out there when it comes to detail retrieval and perhaps EQ-ability

I'm still miffed that I sold mine a while back...

Oct 12, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #1,004 of 3,338
I can see people feeling that the EX1k is really uncomfortable. A lot of times the tip selection and insert depth matters. But also the natural earcanal shape. I guess I'm sort of lucky both of my ears are pretty straight? Also, on top of this I usually go with small tips and a very deep fit. Going as deep as almost a CIEM-like insert depth. To me it kinda reduces the sibilance that many people felt and additionally to me it sounds really dynamic. Especially after the removal of the foam dampers inside the tube. All in all, I used that more than a few hours at a time on many occasions :p

Personally I really think it's one of the best IEMs out there when it comes to detail retrieval and perhaps EQ-ability

I'm still miffed that I sold mine a while back...
I think the EX1000 form factor for me is very comfortable, fit very snuggly (better than Z5). I remember headfonics also claimed that the EX1000 has the best form factor for an in ear.
For the EQability, this is the first time for me to hear it about the EX1000. Could you give me some EQ(or links to and thread) so that I can find out more about it. Thanks!

Oct 12, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #1,005 of 3,338

Users who are viewing this thread

Back