crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Oct 9, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #961 of 3,338
Hi, thank you for your purchase of the UE18+ universal.
You have installed the cables on the IEMs incorrecty. UE SL iems have the polarity done in reverse of CIEM 2-pins.

I think it doesn't really matter if both cables were inserted the same way?

Oct 9, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #962 of 3,338
I think it doesn't really matter if both cables were inserted the same way?

On most CIEM 2-pin cables, the + is on the side nearer to the top of the iem, and the ground or - is on the side towards the bottom of the faceplate.

For UE SL iems, the polarity is reversed. The + is on the side nearer to the bottom of the faceplate and the -/ground is on the side nearer to the top of the iem.

Oct 9, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #963 of 3,338
@crinacle I bought recently a demo pair of UE18+ pro V2 and I have to say that I completely agree with your point of view. There is something realy special with these iems especially on the female voices. Incredibly smooth and natural compared to some others flashgrips. Really addictive Iems.

You have installed the cables on the IEMs incorrecty. UE SL iems have the polarity done in reverse of CIEM 2-pins.

Wait, is that EA cable a standard (AKA Westone, custom, generic etc.) 2pin? Using a standard 2pin connection will damage the UE connector due to the slightly different sizes (0.78mm for standard, 0.75mm for UE).

Oct 9, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #964 of 3,338

Waowww, many thanks I will change right now. If both, the left and right size are incorrectly installed you still have a polarity problem? I though both Iems must be connected in the same way to avoid polarity problems ( with the small vertical line inside or outside on both Iems right and left and not one in and the other out) it is not correct? Many thanks jm

Oct 9, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #965 of 3,338
On most CIEM 2-pin cables, the + is on the side nearer to the top of the iem, and the ground or - is on the side towards the bottom of the faceplate.

For UE SL iems, the polarity is reversed. The + is on the side nearer to the bottom of the faceplate and the -/ground is on the side nearer to the top of the iem.

Which companies do it backwards? UE, QDC, Earsonics... any others?

Oct 9, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #966 of 3,338
Wait, is that EA cable a standard (AKA Westone, custom, generic etc.) 2pin? Using a standard 2pin connection will damage the UE connector due to the slightly different sizes (0.78mm for standard, 0.75mm for UE).
It is a 0,78mm Ares2+ 4 braids on the photo. The UE18 demo are in 0,75mm?

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #967 of 3,338
It is a 0,78mm and I use them with the Ares2+ 4 braids on the photo.

Well... just be warned then. I used to have a custom with a UE connector and I forcefit a Westone 2pin into it. The additional stress on the pins may have made it more fragile and they snapped off in the connector a few months later.

Oct 9, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #968 of 3,338
Well... just be warned then. I used to have a custom with a UE connector and I forcefit a Westone 2pin into it. The additional stress on the pins may have made it more fragile and they snapped off in the connector a few months later.
They are the demo from MS, I have not had any problem with my 2 pins 0,78mm so I think the demo is in 0,78.

Oct 9, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #969 of 3,338
Oct 9, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #970 of 3,338
Waowww, many thanks I will change right now. If both, the left and right size are incorrectly installed you still have a polarity problem? I though both Iems must be connected in the same way to avoid polarity problems ( with the small vertical line inside or outside on both Iems right and left and not one in and the other out) it is not correct? Many thanks jm

The small notch (vertical line) has to be on the shell side of the IEMs, facing towards your head.

Oct 9, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #971 of 3,338
Ok thank you, on others Iems, when there is not any male part to receive this small female notch, this notch has always to be on the shell side or it depend of the brand, thank you.

Oct 9, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #973 of 3,338
Thank you very much.

Oct 9, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #974 of 3,338
They are the demo from MS, I have not had any problem with my 2 pins 0,78mm so I think the demo is in 0,78.

More likely that on this demo the connectors got stretched by people inserting cables that shouldn't fit. It might fit fine for now, but if you try to go back to proper UE connector, it will likely be too loose, will fall out and can have loose contact.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Oct 9, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #975 of 3,338
More likely that on this demo the connectors got stretched by people inserting cables that shouldn't fit. It might fit fine for now, but if you try to go back to proper UE connector, it will likely be too loose, will fall out and can have loose contact.
Thank you, I have connected an effect audio Arès II câble, for the moment it fit perfectly. I will not go back to proper UE connector in this case. Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back