crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Sep 30, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #886 of 3,338
BGVP DMG and Massdrop x MEE Planamic on the way.
I look forward to your impressions on both of these. Bad Guy Good Review say the BGVP DMG is comparable to EX1000. If it is, it is a steal right now on Massdrop for $115.

Sep 30, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #888 of 3,338
I look forward to your impressions on both of these. Bad Guy Good Review say the BGVP DMG is comparable to EX1000. If it is, it is a steal right now on Massdrop for $115.
I think he said that about the BGVP DM6.
He said the DMG has slightly elevated bass comparing the DM6.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #889 of 3,338
BGVP DMG and Massdrop x MEE Planamic on the way.

Quite excited. My MD x MEE Planamic still have like another month and couple of weeks to go.

Also, interested in your evaluation of the BGVP DMG.

Oct 1, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #890 of 3,338
Just look for the back vent and tape it over. If there are two vents you just have to trial-and-error; taping the front vent increases bass response instead. I'll try to take a look at the Xelento again soon.

If it's not on the ranking list or the measurements database, there is a very good chances that I haven't tried it.

Not quite as resolving nor as competent in imaging, but it's a lot better balanced and easier to listen to.

There's something about adding that DD into a hybrid that somehow knocks the resolution down a little. Or you could go the Tia Fourte's route and have top-tier resolution but fail at maintaining the proper tone. The N8 and Trio are almost there, though at this point in time the two completely destroy any S-tier IEM in bass reproduction.
Does your BE mod change your ranking of them/?

Oct 1, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #891 of 3,338
Planamic just received. Quick 10 second impressions, it's not a good IEM. Don't think it's bad, but I struggle to call it good.

Does your BE mod change your ranking of them/?

Without thinking too hard I'd probably rate the Be with the full mod suite about an A, but don't take that statement too seriously as it's more an off-handed comment than an actual rank. However the ranking list itself is based off stock, purchaseable products and so I won't be updating it with modded stuff unless a modded IEM somehow becomes its own commercial product.

Oct 2, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #892 of 3,338
Just got the Andromeda's, the perfect upgrade from Avara AV2 i reckon, now i understand why they're called the flagship :)

Oct 2, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #894 of 3,338
Hey @crinacle
You have the EVR sound signature described as neural in your tier list - think you meant neutral :wink:

Oct 2, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #895 of 3,338
Planamic just received. Quick 10 second impressions, it's not a good IEM. Don't think it's bad, but I struggle to call it good.

Without thinking too hard I'd probably rate the Be with the full mod suite about an A, but don't take that statement too seriously as it's more an off-handed comment than an actual rank. However the ranking list itself is based off stock, purchaseable products and so I won't be updating it with modded stuff unless a modded IEM somehow becomes its own commercial product.

Thanks for the mod, definitely changes the sound sig for the better. How would you say this stacks up to Acoustunes offerings? I think that's the #1 brand I have my eyes on now. I've never head their offerings but very curious on the 1551, 1650 and 1670

Oct 2, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #897 of 3,338
Even the Hyla CE5? How would you compare N8 bass to Hyla?

CE5 bass is cleaner but the N8's is very close behind. I prefer the boost on the N8 though; the CE5's bass is counterbalanced by its forward upper mids but that is also its most divisive trait.

Thanks for the mod, definitely changes the sound sig for the better. How would you say this stacks up to Acoustunes offerings? I think that's the #1 brand I have my eyes on now. I've never head their offerings but very curious on the 1551, 1650 and 1670

I've only ever liked the 1551 and the 1004. Haven't tried the 16xx series yet. No direct comparisons since I don't have any Acoustunes.

Any chance for the IE800S to be listed?

Yeah I have the notes for that and a few others, just a little busy to properly pen them down and update is all.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #899 of 3,338
CE5 bass is cleaner but the N8's is very close behind. I prefer the boost on the N8 though; the CE5's bass is counterbalanced by its forward upper mids but that is also its most divisive trait.

I've only ever liked the 1551 and the 1004. Haven't tried the 16xx series yet. No direct comparisons since I don't have any Acoustunes.

Yeah I have the notes for that and a few others, just a little busy to properly pen them down and update is all.

I haven't been following this thread much, and maybe it's already been mentioned, but any chance the Unique Melody Mason V3 will be listed?

Oct 2, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #900 of 3,338

The 1551 and 1650 are fairly coloured (but nicely so) warm sounding iems that are very pleasant to the ear.

The 1670 is a mighty insane beast. Tick all the boxes you'd find in your dictionary for desirable sonic descriptives (perhaps the soundstage is not the widest but still excellent with top-notch positioning. Top-notch everything else) and for a large-ish dynamic driver the run-in time is pretty short - think it settles at roughly 30-50 hours. Transicents are big and lightning quick yet it still manages some natural reverbs.

Comparing to my S class Flamenco, I think the Flamenco only wins in terms of the usual BA steriliness. Other aspects are even matches. Even subtle details in the 1670 are on par with the very best, and it's not that sort of "forced details". It's all in a smooth and organic mix. Added in excellent build and aesthetics.

Looking forward to where it would rank in your list @crinacle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back