crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Aug 19, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #691 of 3,338
Coincidentally, last night I was looking at the Sony EX1000 and MDR7550 out of interest of getting a good DD IEM; currently my main IEMs are the SE846 and Andromedas, and I've been considering the Vega, Atlas, and Xelento (the last of which I'm still considering buying once the wireless version is released). With crinacle's latest recommendations, I ended pulling the trigger on both the Sony models.

On Amazon, with the current discounts I was able to get the MDR7550 for about $185, while the EX1000 was $378 on eBay from a reputable seller. If crinacle's reviews are even close, it's still a bargain to get them both for ~$563. I figured if I just got one or the the other, I'd be eternally curious how the other compared.

I've got about about ten other IEMs (most of them BAs except for two hybrids), but hopefully a good DD or two will round out the collection.

Aug 20, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #692 of 3,338
Coincidentally, last night I was looking at the Sony EX1000 and MDR7550 out of interest of getting a good DD IEM; currently my main IEMs are the SE846 and Andromedas, and I've been considering the Vega, Atlas, and Xelento (the last of which I'm still considering buying once the wireless version is released). With crinacle's latest recommendations, I ended pulling the trigger on both the Sony models.

On Amazon, with the current discounts I was able to get the MDR7550 for about $185, while the EX1000 was $378 on eBay from a reputable seller. If crinacle's reviews are even close, it's still a bargain to get them both for ~$563. I figured if I just got one or the the other, I'd be eternally curious how the other compared.

I've got about about ten other IEMs (most of them BAs except for two hybrids), but hopefully a good DD or two will round out the collection.
Thats alot of iems! I used to have alot of iems aswell, at one point i was hoarding mid fi iems but got really frustrated at them and sold all of them and left the k3003. Bought a pair of zeus xiv and the audio technica ath e40 best decision ever lol.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #693 of 3,338

If I may suggest, you can also check out Sony XBA-N3. It's a hybrid driver, the bass coming out of DD is strong and precise and the highs are almost perfect to my taste (not neutral IEM). The sound overall is warm. I was pointing this model few posts ago, but I don't know how crinnacle would rate these, but I'd be curious.

It's quite popular Sony's high-end IEM in Asia. I used to have these earphones and comparing them to MDR7550, it's a little step up imho. I haven't heard EX1000 though. The other thing is fit, while both MDR7550 and EX1000 are a little bit strangely placed in ear due to its shape.

Aug 20, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #694 of 3,338
The sacrifice is similar to Audeze's in-ear planars in its case; you get stellar imaging and detail but at the cost of isolation (it's basically a semi-open earphone), weird fit (due to the stupid-large drivers) and not everyone can tolerate its treble.
Do iSine 20 with Cipher cable really sounds better (changed from B- to A+) then LCDi4 without Cipher?
What kind of magic is used in this cable? Can any hi-res dap\dac do this as fine as cable does if i do not use iphones?

Aug 20, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #695 of 3,338
Do iSine 20 with Cipher cable really sounds better (changed from B- to A+) then LCDi4 without Cipher?
What kind of magic is used in this cable? Can any hi-res dap\dac do this as fine as cable does if i do not use iphones?

It's basically DSP in the DAC side to correct the iSine's frequency response. You can EQ them to Audeze's target curve and that will have the same effect.

Aug 20, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #697 of 3,338
Is this list based on extensive listening sessions? Let's say .. at least a week at least?

Aug 20, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #698 of 3,338
Is this list based on extensive listening sessions? Let's say .. at least a week at least?

Crinacle already answered this several times in this thread and in the first post.

Crinacle has done an impressive job with all these iems based on his own preferences. You may or may not agree with this and thats the beauty of it. But if you have heard a few of them you will know your own preferences, thus make it easier to make your own rankings.

Aug 20, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #699 of 3,338

Not that long for some, but I'm experienced enough to identify certain key factors very quickly. The lower performing IEMs are very easy to pick out; for instance I can tell within the first 5 minutes of listening if an IEM is C or lower.

On the flipside, the higher up you go the harder it is discern how much the raw performance of a very good IEM differs from another since there's an element of diminishing returns going on. Those IEMs will definitely take a week or sometimes even longer, some cross comparisons here and there to help me settle on a score. Some of the locals back home can attest to how much I've been to various audio stores over the holidays; some of the store owners are probably sick of seeing my face at this point too :sweat_smile:

Aug 20, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #701 of 3,338
Not that long for some, but I'm experienced enough to identify certain key factors very quickly. The lower performing IEMs are very easy to pick out; for instance I can tell within the first 5 minutes of listening if an IEM is C or lower.

On the flipside, the higher up you go the harder it is discern how much the raw performance of a very good IEM differs from another since there's an element of diminishing returns going on. Those IEMs will definitely take a week or sometimes even longer, some cross comparisons here and there to help me settle on a score. Some of the locals back home can attest to how much I've been to various audio stores over the holidays; some of the store owners are probably sick of seeing my face at this point too :sweat_smile:
Do you find the resolution of the most resolving IEMs like the Zeus blows away those in the tiers A and B or is it more incremental improvement akin to the larger soundstages and more accurate timbres the very best IEMs provide?

Aug 20, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #702 of 3,338
If I may suggest, you can also check out Sony XBA-N3. It's a hybrid driver, the bass coming out of DD is strong and precise and the highs are almost perfect to my taste (not neutral IEM). The sound overall is warm. I was pointing this model few posts ago, but I don't know how crinnacle would rate these, but I'd be curious.

Very curious also about the XBA-N3 rank.

Aug 20, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #703 of 3,338
Very curious also about the XBA-N3 rank.
very good hybrid, with nice bass boost in the low bass
5a03306d5cd4d1795c01545979ad50a5.png

Aug 20, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #704 of 3,338
I need some suggestions here.

I currently own the Zeus XR ADEL and enjoy them very much. However, the bass is not that impactful without EQ. Does anyone have some specific recommendations to complement my Zeus (custom only)? I prefer the holographic and dynamic sound with impactful bass and non-piercing treble.

Thinking about N8 and A12t.

Thanks!

Aug 20, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #705 of 3,338
I need some suggestions here.

I currently own the Zeus XR ADEL and enjoy them very much. However, the bass is not that impactful without EQ. Does anyone have some specific recommendations to complement my Zeus (custom only)? I prefer the holographic and dynamic sound with impactful bass and non-piercing treble.

Thinking about N8 and A12t.

Thanks!
I have the xiv version of the zeus and id say it has a very impactful bass very full and fastpace, and very well implemented. Im currently using mine with its stcok cable (btg starlight). Very very tasteful synergy with both my 300r and r6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back