crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Aug 17, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #662 of 3,338
Definitely, and obviously not Crinacle, but I have tried the GR07 and LS200 somewhat extensively, and also I used to own IM02. Now, to my ears I find that the GR07 and IM02 is perhaps more of a sort of a sidegrade between each other. GR07, being a dynamic driver has that DD slam, which you won't find in the IM02. The latter will sound somewhat anemic if you're used to a dynamic driver. As for the midranges, the IM02 has an edge over the GR07 in that it sounds much sweeter than the comparatively drier sounding GR07. As for treble both are comparatively competent and really depends on your preference. IM02 sounds more airy while the GR07 sounds quicker afaik. Moreover, the IM02 has somewhat of a wider staging than the more boxed-in GR07 as well

So, that about wraps it with my comparison between both.

As for the LS200, the reason I really don't like it is because it has a plastic-y timbre and comparatively, the IM02 sounds more natural and doesn't suffer from that plastic BA timbre. Technicality wise it was a tad bit better, with less wide staging which is alright, and depending on the listener it may be preferable. However, the overall tonality is detriment to my experience with it.

I'm sorry if I am hijacking the thread a little bit, but those 3 are something I'm quite familiar with and I thought I'd chip in a little with my personal experience with them
Thank you, this is super helpful, have you come across any that you would consider as a worthy upgrade? what I wish my gr07 had is better mid details and a better sound stage with precise imaging.

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #663 of 3,338
Sure. As similar as custom and universal versions can be.

Personally I don't feel that 64 Audio's CIEM and Universals will differ really massively. If any, the differences will most likely be a better bass and treble response as well as a cleaner imaging. With that said, I am pretty sure that his description of the A12t still applies.

Thank you, this is super helpful, have you come across any that you would consider as a worthy upgrade? what I wish my gr07 had is better mid details and a better sound stage with precise imaging.

Frankly speaking my personal recommendations when talking about a direct upgrade to the GR07s is the Acoustune HS1551 (and the newly released HS1650) may be the direct upgrade with better midrange details and better imaging. The soundstage doesn't really extend that wide, but it doesn't feel as boxed-in as the GR07s.

HS1004 can also perhaps be considered as a cheaper upgrade to the GR07 as it possess the similar qualities that makes a GR07 great, with a sweeter upper midranges that really suits female vocals.

Aug 18, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #666 of 3,338
Should that read, 64 Audio U12t, or did you actually listen to a custom?

I will update the first post with a disclaimer that all ranks are based on the universal version of the IEM model, unless otherwise stated. I remember seeing the number on the unit I tried being a "A12t" (despite it being a universal) but you would be right, it's basically a U12t.

Aug 18, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #667 of 3,338
Alright, new additions to the ranks with what will be in their "Comments" section. Next update will be for a rank reshuffle, and then after that I'll be updating the list itself. BBcode takes a loooong time to work with, especially for the cell formatting I decided on...

64 Audio Tia Trio (S-)
: A more correct sounding version of the Fourte with slight cutbacks in staging and sheer resolution.
64 Audio N8 (S-): Sub-bass focused, rich and smooth yet relatively neutral in tone.
64 Audio A12t (S): Amazing bass (for a BA), top-tier resolution and detail-oriented signature.
Acoustune HS1503 (C): Shrill, odd timbre and way too intense for normal listening.
Advanced GT3 (D): Sharp, shrill and overall unpleasant.
Advanced M51D (D): Typical chifi DD sound. Nothing special.
Advanced M55D (D+): An otherwise capable hybrid unfortunately let down by its ridiculous treble spike.
AKG N5005 (B): Amazing bass control only let down by plastic timbre.
ARC Pollux (B): Well-tuned neutral single-BA IEM.
Campfire Comet (C+): Rolled-off at the top end, warm and bassy single-BA sound reminiscent of Final's offerings.
Campfire Atlas (B): Bass isn't as clean as the Vega and ultimately worse off on a technical level.
CTM CT6E (new edition?) (B-): Not the raging mess that the originals were, but nothing stands out here either.
Dita Fidelity (A): The more technical and less natural sounding of the Dita twins.
Dita Fealty (B+): The more natural sounding and less technical of the Dita twins.
Earsonics EM10 (B+): Oddly low dynamics makes this sound rather dead and lifeless.
Empire Ears EVR (A-): A nicely tuned signature with good technical ability all around.
Empire Ears ESR (B): Sharp and fatiguing.
Empire Ears Phantom (A): Heavy, rich and decadent, great for male vocals and bassy instruments.
Empire Ears Bravado (B-): A basic hybrid sound with big bass and energetic treble.
Empire Ears Vantage (A): A Legend-X-mini, essentially. Nice alternative on a budget.
Empire Ears Nemesis (A): A lot more treble compared to the Vantage.
Empire Ears Legend X (A+): High resolution hybrid flawed only by lack of control in the bass regions.
FiiO F3 (C): Well-balanced U-shaped sound that's rather atypical of a chifi dynamic IEM.
FiiO F5 (C): Typical chifi V-shaped sound, nothing much to report on.
HUM Pristine Reference (force fitted custom) (B+): Good detail pickup and generally inoffensive.
Hyla Nerva X (B): Low dynamics, rolled off and nothing that it really excels in.
iBasso IT04 (B+): A nice improvement over the IT03 though midrange hollowness still exists.
InEar SD5 (A): Excels in timbre and has an overall pleasant signature.
JH Audio Billie Jean (C): Follows the JH house sound but otherwise nothing special.
Jomo Haka (D): Mushy, blobby and low resolution.
Jomo Quatre (A): Nicely tuned hybrid that serves as a good all-rounder.
JVC FW-01 (C): Very heavy and very dark sounding IEM whose signature marrs technical ability slightly.
JustEar Club Sound (custom forcefitted) (A): Nice, pleasant signature that reminds me of a more textured HS1551.
Kinera IDUN (C): Not a bad hybrid, considering Kinera's track record.
Kumitate KL-Sirius (A+): Excellent technical ability, well tuned with a dash of Japanese flavour.
Kumitate KL-REF (Type-S) (A-): Well tuned but unfortunately suffers from very odd timbre.
Lark Studio LSX (A-): Nothing much stands out as exceptional or unique.
Lime Ears Model X (A-): Technically capable IEM that goes from decently neutral to warm and smooth in a pinch.
PEARS SH3 (A): Great detail pickup and solid all-rounder, perhaps a little strident.
qdc Anole V3 (B): The bassier of the Anole brothers. Better timbre but worse technicalities.
qdc Anole V6 (B): The more mid-centric of the Anole brothers. Better technicalities but worse timbre.
RHA CL750 (D-): Ear-piercing treble makes it hard to listen to.
RHA CL1 (E): So much treble to the point where nothing sounds correct.
Sony EX800/MDR-7550 (B+): A more forgiving, warmer version of the EX1000.
Sony EX1000 (A+): Outstanding imaging and detail retrieval though can be intense to listen to.
Stealthsonics U2 (C+): Sharp, emphasised treble and boosted bass, sounds more mainstream than audiophile.
Stealthsonics U4 (C-): An odd character, simultaneously bassy and thin at the same time.
Stealthsonics U9 (B): An otherwise capable hybrid caught out by nasally and odd midrange.
Stealthsonics U9 JDM (A): Does away with the timbre issues of the standard U9.
Symphonium Audio Mirage (C-): Typical single-BA sound that doesn't offer anything special.
Symphonium Audio Aurora (C+): Solid tuning, though average in technicalities.
Ultimate Ears UE6 Pro (B+): A capable hybrid with little weaknesses.
Ultimate Ears UE18+ Gen 3 (A): Perceived more neutrally compared to the Gen 2; less emotional, more boring.
Ultimate Ears Live (B-): Soft, muddy, low resolution and lacks any sort of definition.
Unique Melody ME1 (D): Soft transients, low definition and odd timbre makes this the worst planar I've listened to.
Warbler Prelude (custom forcefitted) (B-): Rolled off on both ends with a very typical single-BA sound.

Nice to see an update, especially new brands being added :)

Can you, please, also include Sony xba-n3 which should be an update to MDR EX800/1000 serie timewise. In the future I would be really curious about Sony's new IER (M7, M9, Z1R) flagships if you get a chance to test them. It seems to me that such a huge electronic company like Sony doesn't get much attention in here. Most reviews for their high-end models are in Japanese or such languages...

Thanks

Aug 18, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #668 of 3,338
Can you, please, also include Sony xba-n3 which should be an update to MDR EX800/1000 serie timewise. In the future I would be really curious about Sony's new IER (M7, M9, Z1R) flagships if you get a chance to test them. It seems to me that such a huge electronic company like Sony doesn't get much attention in here. Most reviews for their high-end models are in Japanese or such languages...

Thanks

Most of Sony audiophile market are in East Asia rather than the Western market where TV and cameras are more marketable than audio.

Aug 18, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #669 of 3,338
I will update the first post with a disclaimer that all ranks are based on the universal version of the IEM model, unless otherwise stated. I remember seeing the number on the unit I tried being a "A12t" (despite it being a universal) but you would be right, it's basically a U12t.

I recall you downgraded the U18t to S- a while back, do you prefer the U12t over the U18t?

Aug 18, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #673 of 3,338
the f9 pro(it is supposed to improve the hot treble of the f9)
With foams the f9p is pretty good. Too v shaped for my liking, but didn't upset me too much with the treble spike @8.5k and I'm mega sensitive to sibilance (albeit more in the 5-7khz range). There is still a spike there and it does cause some zing - just not a dealbreaker for me.

Aug 18, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #674 of 3,338
If the top end of my budget is $350 for an iem, and I already have the mojo, what would be your top recommendation?

in that price (up to $500 mark), my absolute pick would be the ER4XR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back