crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Jun 24, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #511 of 3,338
I feel Crinacle conveys more insight in a few sentences than most reviewers who write multiple pages. The conciseness of his impressions and lack of fluff is truly impressive, and appreciated.

+1. Sometimes I end up reading more about the reviewer (likes and dislikes) than the actual iem instead...

Jun 24, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #512 of 3,338
Hey Crinacle, the other day I was at Zep & co and I saw this fella with sporting a cap and was speaking to quite a few people. He had an ascent. Was that you? Did you go there on 20th?

Jun 24, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #514 of 3,338
I was there on that day but that wasn't me.

I see. Would be great if I were to be able to meet you. Some of the staff at zep & co were taking references from you. And I too would agree with them.

Must admit that my hyla ce-5 purchase was influenced by your listings.

Jun 24, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #516 of 3,338
Here's some ranks (and changes) for the hybrids IEMs I wrote about in my post yesterday.

64 Audio Tia Fourte: S- to A+
64 Audio Tia Trio: A+
64 Audio N8t: S
AKG N5005: B
Empire Ears Legend X: S
Hyla CE-5: A+ to S-
Jomo Quatre: A
Kumitate KL-REF (Type-S): S- to A- (the original KL-REF's ranking will be removed till further listening)
Ultimate Ears Live: B

Jun 24, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #517 of 3,338
Legend X is S.

Not even surprised. If only I had $2400.

Jun 24, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #518 of 3,338
Here's some ranks (and changes) for the hybrids IEMs I wrote about in my post yesterday.

Kumitate KL-REF (Type-S): S- to A- (the original KL-REF's ranking will be removed till further listening)

Hi, how would you rate AKG K3003 relative to N5005? sorry, i understand it is quite an old model. thanks

Jun 24, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #519 of 3,338
The Legend X's ranking is a bit more contentious in my mind, on one hand there is quite a bit of mid-bass bloat which messes with the overall detail retrieval and tonal balance of the sound signature, but does that issue dock enough points for me to not consider it "S tier"?

Same goes with the N8t, looking past the LX's wall of bass does lead me to believe that the LX has a slight resolution advantage, which would put the N8t one tier below the LX. Then again, the tonal balance and bass control is much better on the N8t and there is a slight edge in soundstage width based off aural memory (since the two demo units are in different shops so I am unable to A/B compare). So, I guess I'll put them in the same league as a whole, individual sound preferences notwithstanding.

I'll probably adjust the rankings again further down the line, they aren't set in stone forever. For now though, I guess they are basically the best hybrids in the game.

Hi, how would you rate AKG K3003 relative to N5005? sorry, i understand it is quite an old model. thanks

I'll need more ear time on the K3003. I didn't have the ranking list in mind the last time I heard one.

Jun 24, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #520 of 3,338

Hyla CE-5 to S- tier now? Nice. Definitely one my favorite purchases. The bass is to die for.

If they ever make an Oriolus with similar bass, I'd be set for IEMs.

Jun 24, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #521 of 3,338
I agree with Crin's assessment of the Legend X. As good as the overall resolution is, the signature is affected by the ever-present midbass. It injects a lot of authority and immersion to some tracks (especially modern, I dug up a lot of late 90's to early 00's pop and rock just to hear how LX renders them) but doesn't work well with others. When it works it does so brilliantly, but I wouldn't give it my full unreserved recommendation.

Jun 24, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #523 of 3,338
Agree with the thoughts on legend x. Likewise it took me repeated listening to fully appreciate it.

The mid bass was really overpowering first listen. Then I tried the demos at euphoria which was burned in. Only then did the bass settled at a nice spot. Though still a tinge more than what I liked, but it’s enough for me to pull the trigger

Jun 24, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #524 of 3,338
I see. Would be great if I were to be able to meet you. Some of the staff at zep & co were taking references from you. And I too would agree with them.

Must admit that my hyla ce-5 purchase was influenced by your listings.

IMG_20180621_140342-01.jpeg

We are sporting the exact same set up. Not gonna lie, I too was swayed by Crinacle's ranking on the CE-5. I'm a big fan of the iBasso IT03 and the CE-5 has a similar tuning but many steps above in terms of refinement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back