crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Apr 4, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #395 of 3,338
I see your point, and btw, no need for the sarcasm. I read a lot on high-end headphones, and the AKG K3003i are on the same bucket as the IE800 Sennheisers and the Shure SE846s, and I see those in the list. I guess @crinacle just didnt ever have a chance to hear them or just didnt even want to.

Well.. half and half. It's hard to find demo units in stores nowadays since it's discontinued, and my last audition of it wasn't exactly negative but it certainly wasn't positive either. Kinda like "hm, so this is what 2013 sounds like".

I'll look out for it. See what I can do. Honestly easier to find a K3003 lying around than Earsonics.

Apr 4, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #396 of 3,338
Well.. half and half. It's hard to find demo units in stores nowadays since it's discontinued, and my last audition of it wasn't exactly negative but it certainly wasn't positive either. Kinda like "hm, so this is what 2013 sounds like".

I'll look out for it. See what I can do. Honestly easier to find a K3003 lying around than Earsonics.
That's true. But considering how widely talked about your list is, and how aggressively friendly Earsonics are, It's not impossible that they would be happy to lend you a demo pair.

Apr 6, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #398 of 3,338
Gold thing my w80 are among the A list. Truly great iems with nice signature. How are the tzar compares to them as that's my next pair

Apr 7, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #399 of 3,338
"Tonally dead. One-note bass. No treble worth mentioning."

That Shure SE535 line made me chuckle... It was like the Monster Turbine Gold with one note bass, but also sounded "like a bland mushroom tastes and feels in my mouth" when I listened to one at CanJam in Chicago... Major disappointment, and the TripleFi 10 purchased years later was cheaper and better in every way besides ergonomics.
TF10 shouldn't be better than the SE535, although SE535 was overpriced for what it was like any other Shure lines. I agree with the terrible TF10 ergonomics part. Worthless due to this. Fit sucked balls, and who ever designed it should not design. Oh wait, was it the same guy designed the Layla?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #400 of 3,338
image.jpg

I just received my W900 back from AAW, rebuilt to universal from warranty since something went wrong with my original.

I'm not sure if my ears have changed, or if there's something wrong with the new unit (measurements are fine), but everything just sounds off on this. The resolution, soundstage and bass quality is still top notch but there is serious timbre issues that doesn't warrant an S grade.

I don't know. Will keep on listening for now. A rank reshuffle is coming up soon anyways.

Apr 9, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #402 of 3,338
image.jpg

I just received my W900 back from AAW, rebuilt to universal from warranty since something went wrong with my original.

I'm not sure if my ears have changed, or if there's something wrong with the new unit (measurements are fine), but everything just sounds off on this. The resolution, soundstage and bass quality is still top notch but there is serious timbre issues that doesn't warrant an S grade.

I don't know. Will keep on listening for now. A rank reshuffle is coming up soon anyways.

Hi will you be updating the list any time soon.

Btw, I'm leaning towards mass drop plus due to it's price performance ratio. Seems like it hits the sweet spot.

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #404 of 3,338
The resolution, soundstage and bass quality is still top notch but there is serious timbre issues that doesn't warrant an S grade.

I was fortunate to try the W900 (et al) as part of the AAW Tour last year.
Had a lot of great aspects, as you describe, but all over my listening notes I have treble descriptors like "metallic" and "artificial".
This was most noticeable to my ears with percussion sounds.
Quite apparent in the musically simple "Limit to your love" (James Blake), where there are only vocals, synth bass, piano, ride cymbal, and rimshots.
The latter sounded way off to me.

NOTE: terrible song imo, but good for testing purposes (clean, simple, crazy deep bass) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back