crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Dec 17, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #287 of 3,338
Are you planning to add newly released Sennheiser ie800s to your list anytime soon.. tuning seems to be changed completely from its predecessor from what i was reading.

Definitely one of the days. Should be in some of the audio shops nearby so all I need to do is get off my lazy butt.

Would you say mass drop plus is the most value ?

Ehhh... define "value". Preference trumps all; while the MD+ is a very technically proficient IEM in metrics like tuning, detail, clarity etc. it may not mesh well with the tastes of everyone. It's too thin and "BA-sounding" for me and as such, I wouldn't use it as a daily driver at all. However, separating my personal tastes in critical listening, the MD+ certainly has all the hallmarks of a top performing IEM, perhaps lacking in the timbre/tonality aspect.

Dec 27, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #289 of 3,338
Could you compare and contrast the JH Audio JH13v2 Pro vs. the Campfire Audio Andromeda? For example, how do their sound signatures compare (besides the brief descriptions already provided in the chart)? Also, what about the Andromeda made you rank it a couple tiers higher?

Jan 7, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #294 of 3,338
If the Spartan IV ADEL B1 and the andromeda cost almost the same (roughly USD 40 difference), does the andromeda completely stomp the Spartan? I've heard the andros, but not the spartan

Jan 7, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #295 of 3,338
If the Spartan IV ADEL B1 and the andromeda cost almost the same (roughly USD 40 difference), does the andromeda completely stomp the Spartan? I've heard the andros, but not the spartan
Having heard both, I would say the Spartan has an edge in midrange texture and resolution over the Andromeda's, as well as a more proper note weight. The Spartan also has a more natural diffuse soundstage while still being very large (not as wide as Andromeda). The Andromeda had MUCH greater subbass extension and rumble (B1 module sort of reminded me of open backed headphone bass). Andromeda's treble is fantastic, the Spartan somewhat lacks in this field. It is more of a preference thing, I ended up keeping Andromeda mainly because it physically looks nicer, and the bass presentation worked better for my genres of music.

Jan 7, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #296 of 3,338
Having heard both, I would say the Spartan has an edge in midrange texture and resolution over the Andromeda's, as well as a more proper note weight. The Spartan also has a more natural diffuse soundstage while still being very large (not as wide as Andromeda). The Andromeda had MUCH greater subbass extension and rumble (B1 module sort of reminded me of open backed headphone bass). Andromeda's treble is fantastic, the Spartan somewhat lacks in this field. It is more of a preference thing, I ended up keeping Andromeda mainly because it physically looks nicer, and the bass presentation worked better for my genres of music.
So the Spartan is more suitable for mid-heads/vocals lovers ,

Jan 7, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #298 of 3,338
Yes, absolutely. Midrange is probably Andromeda's weakpoint, if anything while it is Spartan's strong point.
I agree having owned the Andros for a year, there weakness is in the mids. The ranking is one man’s opinion (though an excellent tool for shopping brands you may not be familiar with and using the measurements as a reference), is his equipment the same as yours, which tips are used, how does his musical preferences line up with yours,etc. how much time was spent with each, what adjustments were made, etc. For me based on owning the Andros and Jupiter’s I cant see any way I would rank them above the Noble Encores, JH Audio Lola’s or a properly fitted Layla. Just my one and half cents worth...

Jan 7, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #299 of 3,338
I agree having owned the Andros for a year, there weakness is in the mids. The ranking is one man’s opinion (though an excellent tool for shopping brands you may not be familiar with and using the measurements as a reference), is his equipment the same as yours, which tips are used, how does his musical preferences line up with yours,etc. how much time was spent with each, what adjustments were made, etc. For me based on owning the Andros and Jupiter’s I cant see any way I would rank them above the Noble Encores, JH Audio Lola’s or a properly fitted Layla. Just my one and half cents worth...
You are right, and there's nothing really wrong with that per se. There are threads with HUGE followings (that I won't name) that are based almost entirely off of someone's opinion. In fact, a majority of what we read about concerning audio quality is mostly opinion.

Jan 7, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #300 of 3,338
You are right, and there's nothing really wrong with that per se. There are threads with HUGE followings (that I won't name) that are based almost entirely off of someone's opinion. In fact, a majority of what we read about concerning audio quality is mostly opinion.
Oh absolutely! The late Harry Pearson of Absolute Sound fame had a huge following on what he considered the best audio equipment. I once bought some Avalon speakers based on his musings, sold them after a while and chased after something else.
It would have taken HP five years to compile such a compelling ranking of iems. This is still a fun read, I’m not criticizing just adding to the fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back