Creative Aurvana Live! 2
Nov 23, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #91 of 563
The headband on my CAL! broke recently. (near the cup swivel joint) =(. Should i get another CAL! or get the CAL!2 to replace it? Is the CAL!2 worth the extra money, only considering sound/build quality. Comfort wasnt a big issue for me with the original CAL!.

The fact that i'm only considering these two closed cans is testament to how much i loved my CAL!s
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #92 of 563
Conventional wisdom would say that CAL2 cannot have 2x better SQ than CAL even though it costs around 2x more. So SQ for the buck would be still seem to be with the CAL at current prices.

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #93 of 563
  Conventional wisdom would say that CAL2 cannot have 2x better SQ than CAL even though it costs around 2x more. So SQ for the buck would be still seem to be with the CAL at current prices.

Hmm, thats true.. Anyways, hoping for some awesome deals this weekend. Maybe I can score the CAL! for really cheap someplace. =D

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #94 of 563
It has been mentioned before but I will point it out again:

You will get a 15% discount on products bought from your Creative online store when you "like" Creative on Facebook.
Go to your local Creative website. Scroll down, click on the Facebook link. In Creative's Facebook menu you will find "Photos", "Likes", "Let's go wireless", and further right you will find "Welcome 15 %" button, which seems to be hidden on the international site at least in my browser.
There is a small arrow that I need to click.
I did not want to post the link because it is different links for different regions and this is probably supposed to be kind of a secret.
wink_face.gif

I have not tried this myself but this code should give you a 15% discount during checkout in Creative online store.

Nov 24, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #95 of 563
I think I am going to get a pair of these with my Christmas bonus. I love the CAL! I have it on with the HM5 pads right now. Hearing that they are bassier is kind of creepy as my CALs are really bassy.(Yes I know it is the pads) I am wondering and I don't think anyone can answer for me yet is would the Mr. Speakers Alpha Pads fit and would it sound like immense dark bass mess. Also a comparison to the Beyer DT770 would be interesting. 

I am usually an open guy but having a couple of pairs of low-mid tier closed headphones is very handy.

Nov 24, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #96 of 563

You can say that about a lot of headphones. The AKG K7xx for example, it's mostly just a color change and earpad change but it's double the price of the old one. 
I didn't keep the original CAL! but the changes Creative made to the CAL! 2 is enough of a reason for me to keep them. If you already have the CAL! then you don't have to upgrade but if the choice came up between the two, then the CAL! 2 is the way to go. 

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #97 of 563

It's hard to quantify the SQ, isn't? It's something you feel, not something you can measure. 
Beside there is never a direct connection between the price and the quality. This rule apply to everything around us. 

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #98 of 563

It's hard to quantify the SQ, isn't? It's something you feel, not something you can measure.
Beside there is never a direct connection between the price and the quality. This rule apply to everything around us.

That's true, but at the end of the day one makes a decision to buy and for many SQ is an important factor. That was/is the CALs calling card for many years so it will be compared in one way or another, perhaps inaccurately as you suggest. We know that CAL is a tweaked version of the AHD1000 but the CAL2 is not a tweaked version of the AHD2000. Of course, there are practical issues to consider such as durability and fit which make CAL2 the stronger or only option. Then there are other options in the Aurvana lineup where you pay a premium for noise cancellation and bluetooth. It all depends on what you want but if you are more concerned with SQ on a tight budget then CAL seems to be the best choice. If it is discontinued and becomes clearance stock then it could be a great bargain.

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #100 of 563
Got it this morning. Some initial impressions: great sounding headphone out of the box. Not as V-shaped as the original, which is good. Warm but detailed, it reminds me of Sennheiser HD 25-1-II. Now, some burn-in first.

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #101 of 563
I just purchased a Creative Aurvana In-Ear 3! I am slowly beginning to like it. I have been using mostly in-ears until now and now I plan to upgrade to over-ear headphones. I am in a quandary now. 

So I am looking at the following options:

1) CAL1 on Amazon at $110 (With shipping+Tax to Canada)
2) CAL2 on Amazon at $170 (With shipping +Tax to Canada)
3) Ultrasone Pro 2500 at $200 (Used - seller says it used maybe a dozen times)
4) Wait up and look for offers to get a better can like HiFiMan He-400 (I am willing to strech upto $300 with shipping)

I am totaly noob in the field of over-ear HP. So please help me decide.

Thanks

Dec 6, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #102 of 563
Just bought the CAL! 2. I already have the CAL! 1

First impressions: 

- Bigger soundstage, noticed immediately
 - Bass sounds boomy at first, maybe need some burn-in?
 - VERY comfortable
 - Build quality much better than CAL! 1
 - Earcups larger than CAL! 1, nice!

I will update my views on the bass. Maybe modding will help?

Bottom line, nice upgrade from the CAL! 1

Dec 6, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #104 of 563
The CAL!2 pads are, I think, slightly thicker, and about 0.5-1cm bigger (4.5-5 vs 5.5cm). I don't feel as though my ears are uncomfortably touching the driver grill like with the original CAL!.

I plan to do some light modding to it after I've done the review, as I've done to the original CAL! before. I might do some FR measurements if I can get mic/rig working again like I did for the HM5 and HD 25-1-II. I'd need to start from scratch to set it up though.

Dec 7, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #105 of 563
  I just purchased a Creative Aurvana In-Ear 3! I am slowly beginning to like it. I have been using mostly in-ears until now and now I plan to upgrade to over-ear headphones. I am in a quandary now. 

So I am looking at the following options:

1) CAL1 on Amazon at $110 (With shipping+Tax to Canada)
2) CAL2 on Amazon at $170 (With shipping +Tax to Canada)
3) Ultrasone Pro 2500 at $200 (Used - seller says it used maybe a dozen times)
4) Wait up and look for offers to get a better can like HiFiMan He-400 (I am willing to strech upto $300 with shipping)

I am totaly noob in the field of over-ear HP. So please help me decide.

Thanks

the he-400 can be found for 299 at razordog. If you enter the code for 100 off.

the cal2 is now 119 at amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Aurvana-Headset-Drivers-In-Line/dp/B00FC2R7ZW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386398000&sr=8-2&keywords=creative+aurvana+live+2
I would go for both If I were you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back