Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Oct 29, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #3,076 of 12,335

My opinion is that the best listening level is just around 30-35% of volume ( the knob is at about 9-10 o' clock position )

50% of volume to reach preferable listening level is too much for me.

I'm saying it should be around 50%. 9 o clock for me is just too much. It's very loud and makes my ears ring. I think my ears are just very sensitive since I have this with every amp.
Now I'm at 7:30 ish. Starting position is 7 o clock. 8 o clock is getting louder. 9 o clock is hardest I go but only for short times.

And everyone else. Thanks for the info! I'll see what I can do. Now I have three possibilities. I think goldpoint is best but that's just my guts talking.

Oct 29, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #3,077 of 12,335
The volume knob setting is influenced by the sensitivity of the headphones and the output level of the source component (and of course where you set the pointer on the knob when you attach it..). So the listening level setting can be all over the place for different setups.

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #3,080 of 12,335
  Re discussion of noise issues, I was addressing Simanick's post.

I think that blown up headphones from a voltage spike are more legend than reality. Is anyone measuring the spike with headphones plugged in? If you consider the value of the output bleeder resistor and do the math you will see that the spike you are measuring with no headphone plugged in would be about 10 times higher than when you have a 300 ohm can plugged in in parallel with the resistor. In other words the impedance of the headphone itself creates a benign startup. We added that unloaded startup voltage measurement to the checkout to help confirm that one hasn't screwed up some part of the build that would leave a high DC voltage on the output after warm up (e.g., a shorted output coupling cap), not to freak anyone out about blowing s**t up. We leave headphones plugged into Cracks when we fire them up all the time.

Sorry about that, conversations got mixed up.

So I just verified, a Crack with Speedball and a 270 Ohm load on both channels ends up outputting an up to 2.5v voltage spike, which is indeed much lower than the up to 20v spike that is seen with no load.

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #3,081 of 12,335
You are so modest!

You arent just the president, you are the founding member and setter of the bar.

Aww come on now, you know you want to listen to that beast. I know I do! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #3,082 of 12,335
Quick question for any UK Crack fiends: Did you receive a shipping confirmation from BH?

I put my order in towards the end of September and looking at the delivery status ("orders through 10/2 shipped"), I guess that technically means mine will have been shipped.

I haven't received confirmation of the same from BH, though, so was just wondering if I have anything to worry about. I only mention because I saw a few people mention shipping confirmation...

Edit: Also, I've only just realised this having scoured the BH site, but will I also be paying UK customs fees on top? Not a big issue, but just not something I'd realised - entirely due to my own over-eagerness/stupidity.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #3,083 of 12,335
Head fi members are pretty sharp guys, but I doubt they know our shipping log. You can always contact Eileen at queen at bottlehead dot com for an update on your order status.

Nov 1, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #3,088 of 12,335
spent about 15 hours on the build, triple checking each direction.  Had no issues when it was finished.  I'm going to be finishing the cabinet this weekend with stain and laquer.  Sounds awesome with no hum or imbalance issues, and dead silent!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back