Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Sep 9, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #2,611 of 12,335

INDEED!

A few tube enthusiasts have opined to me that they found the Ken Rad 6C8G (RPs) to sound fairly similar to the (famed) Ken Rad 6SN7 (RPs).  Now, I've haven't had a chance to actually hear the highly regarded 6SN7 version.. but if the sound of the 6F8G variant is any indication, the 6SN7 version must certainly be something special.  The 6F8G's bass is definitely punchy and impactful.. w/ the focus being on the sub bass rather than the midbass.  The treble has a smooth, balanced (in reference to the midrange) presence and good depth  Treble is crisp & complimentary to the addictive bass and deep, engaging midrange.  It's certainly in the top two or three favorite tubes I've rolled into the Crack.

I agree 6F8G are terrific tubes, electrically identical to 6SN7, so there shouldn't be any reason for them to sound too different if at all. There are a lot of different ones out there, I have tried around 5-7 different brands. In my experience VT-99 military labeled brands being my favorite. Will need to check my listening notes for more detail.

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #2,612 of 12,335
Good news, my backordered products have shipped today and will be arriving this week! Finally get to complete my Crack and Lightspeed attenuator :)

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #2,613 of 12,335
Just ordered the DT770 Premium (600Ohm) version to use with the Crack. 

Sweet isolated blisss.

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #2,614 of 12,335
Does crack consume much power and generate lot of heat?

I sold my Valhalla not because of its sound, but because it's too hot to get a good user experience in summer. Valhalla has a rated power consumption of 35W, however I can't get any spec on Crack :)

I'm also interested its size.

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #2,615 of 12,335

I sold my Valhalla not because of its sound, but because it's too hot to get a good user experience in summer. Valhalla has a rated power consumption of 35W, however I can't get any spec on Crack :)

It is larger than the valhalla mainly it is taller because of the wooden stand and because everything is point to point instead of put neatly onto a PCB.  Also the tubes and also transformer run pretty hot meaning that the plate that everything sits on will be one giant heat sink and will be a bit warm as well.  

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #2,616 of 12,335

As zash said, the resistors beneath the aluminum plate heat it up making it rather warm, as with the tubes, however that's the way amps are, they mostly run warm. I do not find the heat of the crack to be an issue at all. The volume knob is comfortable to the touch, and it's not radiating heat my way as I sit beside it.

Good luck :)

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #2,617 of 12,335
The big tube is hot enough to burn you. So is the vent area just above the big resistors. The Speedball upgrade does seem to cut down on that heat though (or dissipates it more widely so it doesn't seem as strong).

Sep 11, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #2,618 of 12,335
  The big tube is hot enough to burn you. So is the vent area just above the big resistors. The Speedball upgrade does seem to cut down on that heat though (or dissipates it more widely so it doesn't seem as strong).

Well you get rid of two of the large resistors leaving you with just a couple left.  Also the heat splitters do a good job of not getting too hot. Oh and don't touch the tube like I did because your curious...that was not the smartest thing I have done.  Lets just say it hurt.

Sep 11, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #2,619 of 12,335
Woo Audio WA22 ($2,000) with Tung-Sol 7236 upgrade tubes ($160) + Sylvania 6SN7GT upgrade tubes ($330) + Sophia Princess 274B upgrade ($160).

But for what it's worth, with the HD800s I also preferred the Crack over the following:

- ECP Audio DSHA-1
- HiFiMAN EF-6
- Schiit Mjolnir
- Violectric V181
- Fully top-of-the-line AMB Beta 22 that I sold for over $2k
- Little Dot Mk VI+ with about $600 of upgrade tubes
- etc., etc.

To be clear, I would take a stock Crack over any of the above.

Really shows how amazingly different everybody's impressions are. For the HD800 I'd pick the VI+ over the Crack easily any day of the week. B22 is a hit and miss and same with the Violectric but superb with other headphones. The Crack is definitely good for it's value and performance but at the end of the end it is still a low-mid tier amp that greatly synergises more with the HD580, 600 and 650 than the high z Beyer's and the HD800's. 

You're the first poster I've heard that would pick the HD800's running off the Crack over that list of amplification. 

Sep 11, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #2,620 of 12,335
I may be the first person to prefer the Crack over that specific list of amplification, but I'm hardly the first person to think that the Crack works particularly well with the HD800s.

The LD Mk VI+ is indeed a great amp. But bear in mind that it was really optimized for use with planars and inefficient, low impedance headphones. I think LD recommends the Mk VIII for use with high impedance cans. I haven't heard the Mk VIII. FWIW, I still have my Mk VI+, so I do appreciate its performance with other cans. I'm just guessing here, but I think the Crack benefits from its simplicity compared to the LD VI+. Fewer tubes and no need for matched pairs and quads. My LD Mk VI+ tubes are incredibly closely matched, but even so, 6 tubes vs. 2, when the extra power isn't needed? Something has to give somewhere...

The Beta 22 I pretty much hated. Cold and lifeless. Detailed but totally lacking in PRAT or musicality. Can't tell you how disappointed I was. I really tried to love it, but eventually had to throw in the towel and just sold it. I prefer the M^3 over the Beta 22 by a fair margin.

The Violectric is actually a brilliant amp. One of, maybe even "THE", best I've ever heard overall. It works incredibly well with almost any headphones you throw at it. It is amazingly versatile. Dead quiet, yet with power to spare, even for my HE-6s and K1000s. All wrapped up in an impossibly small and power efficient package. But, in my experience, it is not the best amp for the HD800s in particular. It does a very good job, but I find bass is any area where the Crack is noticeably better with the HD800s. I still have my V181 as well, and I don't have any plans to sell it.

Sep 11, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #2,621 of 12,335
Yeah fair enough.

I don't know why people hyped the HD800 + B22 combo as unbelievable sounding and a good synergising combo. The B22 + HD800 is as you describe, just cold, clinical and lifeless, if there is anything the HD800 needs is a bit more body and meat to the sound to round the treble peak off a bit, tubes is a hit and miss (I found it sometimes made things bit too euphonic and syrupy sounding, taking too much of what I liked and added too much of what I disliked) but some solid states really do sound well with it (Phonitor for one).

Yes the LD MK VIII SE is the VI+ version to drive high z headphones but not suited for planars. The HD800 still worked fine off my VI+ but I still preferred it over the Crack. 

The Crack + any of the HD580/600/650 can's is a different story. A good $1k end game setup right there, throw in a fancy cables a good DAC and you still have enough money to buy yourself a beer within the $2k bracket.

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #2,622 of 12,335
Have you heard the LD Mk VIII? To say I am curious about it is a serious understatement...

Also, FWIW, I didn't much like the Beta 22 with any of my other cans either. I don't doubt it's technical sophistication, but as a device for listening to music, it basically seemed like a complete fail TO ME. I know there are people who love their Beta 22s, and I don't want to get into an argument with anyone over this -- I'm just relaying my personal experience in my setup with my cans.

Best regards,
Adam

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #2,623 of 12,335
I also really, really enjoyed the Vio V200 when I had it.  That and the M3 I had custom built were the only two solid state desktop amps I truly enjoyed.  That said, I am done with amps with my Crack.  I just need to upgrade my DAC and maybe add another headphone and I am done (possibly the HD800 down the line).  

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #2,624 of 12,335

I also really, really enjoyed the Vio V200 when I had it.  That and the M3 I had custom built were the only two solid state desktop amps I truly enjoyed.  That said, I am done with amps with my Crack.  I just need to upgrade my DAC and maybe add another headphone and I am done (possibly the HD800 down the line).  

Agreed.. I loved the V200.. with everything I threw at it.. from custom IEMs.. to the HD800.  It's a phenomenal amp.. and one of the few solid state (desktop) amps I could see my self living with, indefinitely.  The V200 (and Violectric's amps, in general) absolutely love planars, too.  The Crack, V200, and the TBI Millenia are my favorite amps for the HD800.  I will be buying the balanced version of the V200 when it drops (in 2014, per Fried).

Sep 11, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #2,625 of 12,335

Agreed.. I loved the V200.. with everything I threw at it.. from custom IEMs.. to the HD800.  It's a phenomenal amp.. and one of the few solid state (desktop) amps I could see my self living with, indefinitely.  The V200 (and Violectric's amps, in general) absolutely love planars, too.  The Crack, V200, and the TBI Millenia are my favorite amps for the HD800.  I will be buying the balanced version of the V200 when it drops (in 2014, per Fried).

Balanced version?? aw man. its a sign. when i upgraded my cable, for my HD650, i did it balanced with an adapter... even though i didnt have any plans to own a balanced amp.  hmm..  any idea on pricing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back