Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Aug 8, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #2,131 of 12,335
Doc just announced in the Bottlehead forum that they will start working with a Bottlehead authorized builder, for people who don't want to build their own kits. The guy isn't ready to accept work yet, however. So no word on pricing or on when this service will be available.

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #2,133 of 12,335
So I'm pretty excited bout the BH crack (should work beautifully for my HD650s) but was wondering if anyone had first hand experience on how it sounds with Denons.  I have a pair of D2000s which I absolutely love but am not quite sure how it will match up with the BH Crack.  I know on theory it will be a bad match due to the low impedance on the Denons, but I have heard lots of people say that Grados work surprisingly well with the BH crack.  Can someone who's had first hand experience give me their impression? (I ordered a BH crack with speedball if that makes any difference).

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #2,134 of 12,335
I used to have D7000's and still have D2000's and I suspect they will sound great with the Crack. In my experience, the Denon's are more or less unaffected by high output impedance amps because their impedance is stable across the entire frequency range and they have a lot of mechanical damping. In other words, they do not rely on electrical damping to control the driver.

Aug 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #2,135 of 12,335
Quote:
Thanks! i browsed the Bottlehead forums one night and looked at a bunch of pictures of other builds. It gave me some great ideas including using hammertone paint.

The plate is Dark Bronze and I plan to stain the base in English Chestnut.

Sweet choice of finishes!!
If I could lay my hand on a kit, I'll be inspired to do a dark gray hammertone and a black stain
wink_face.gif

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #2,136 of 12,335
Quote:
So I'm pretty excited bout the BH crack (should work beautifully for my HD650s) but was wondering if anyone had first hand experience on how it sounds with Denons.  I have a pair of D2000s which I absolutely love but am not quite sure how it will match up with the BH Crack.  I know on theory it will be a bad match due to the low impedance on the Denons, but I have heard lots of people say that Grados work surprisingly well with the BH crack.  Can someone who's had first hand experience give me their impression? (I ordered a BH crack with speedball if that makes any difference).

My only concern would be the noise of a stock Crack with Denons. Hopefully someone can share those experiences here.

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #2,137 of 12,335
Just wanted to get an update from those that didn't receive tubes in their packages. My package was delivered yesterday, and it seems I was also short the tubes and they were checked off on the packing list. Any news? I still need to do a proper inventory to see if I'm missing anything else. 

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #2,138 of 12,335
Quote:
Just wanted to get an update from those that didn't receive tubes in their packages. My package was delivered yesterday, and it seems I was also short the tubes and they were checked off on the packing list. Any news? I still need to do a proper inventory to see if I'm missing anything else.

That's something I'll definitely be doing now once i receive my kit.

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #2,139 of 12,335

I was also missing the #4 small nuts when I was putting it together last night.
I called this morning to get the missing tubes and nuts. The guy I talked to just needed my name. Don't forget to mention that you might be the first 6 orders to get the clear top rca tube.

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #2,140 of 12,335
Quote:
I was also missing the #4 small nuts when I was putting it together last night.
I called this morning to get the missing tubes and nuts. The guy I talked to just needed my name. Don't forget to mention that you might be the first 6 orders to get the clear top rca tube.

Thanks - I sent them an email, but I will likely call them tomorrow if I don't hear back. I will double check on the #4 small nuts. I did a full inventory check and found everything was in order other than the tubes. 

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #2,141 of 12,335
Yeah sometimes there is a bit of missing parts from the inventory as sometimes they are short on parts for specific orders, this happened to me and Eileen informed me anything missing will be posted out to me.

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #2,142 of 12,335
I was missing the #4 nuts in my kit as well, nothing a quick trip to Radioshack didn't fix. I did however get the free Speedball upgrade 
size]

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #2,143 of 12,335
Quote:
I used to have D7000's and still have D2000's and I suspect they will sound great with the Crack. In my experience, the Denon's are more or less unaffected by high output impedance amps because their impedance is stable across the entire frequency range and they have a lot of mechanical damping. In other words, they do not rely on electrical damping to control the driver.

Eh i think it not only about high impedance of the crack, it also about power output with low impedance headphones. These Denon should pair with optimal amps which have low output impedance and high output power. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #2,144 of 12,335
Sorry about the tubes, guys. We've been working at double speed to keep up lately and it appears that four kits got shipped without them. Eileen is sending them out as soon as she confirms that a customer needs them. So do let us know if you were one of the folks who kit was shorted. I have the pleasure of having some minor surgery today so we may not be at the office if you call, but do leave a message.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back