Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jan 11, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #993 of 12,335
Rustoleum is fine. The trick is to clean the end bell really well before painting, as it has a slight sticky/oily coating on it to keep it from rusting. Naptha will do a pretty good job.

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #994 of 12,335
Thanks Doc. I used some steel wool to remove the oil layer and polished it with compound. I'm going to blue the bell cap and paint the transformer.

Quote:
Rustoleum is fine. The trick is to clean the end bell really well before painting, as it has a slight sticky/oily coating on it to keep it from rusting. Naptha will do a pretty good job.

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #995 of 12,335
Oh yeah my Crack shipped.  I had all these great ideas relocating jack, different wood and stuff.  Now I just want to build it and listen.  Haven't been this excited about an amp in some time...

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #996 of 12,335
Sweet.  It would be awesome if you took pictures of it as you build it and post them here!

Quote:
Oh yeah my Crack shipped.  I had all these great ideas relocating jack, different wood and stuff.  Now I just want to build it and listen.  Haven't been this excited about an amp in some time...

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #997 of 12,335
I started on my speedball upgrade. A small soldering tip is required for the pcb connections. For the crack I used a soldering gun with a big tip and I couldn't find replacement tips so I picked up another soldering iron (and some desoldering braid). I've been enjoying the crack with a TS5998 and the Fostex's the last two weeks. I've heard great things about the speedballed Crack/HD800 combo.

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #998 of 12,335

Quote:

I think mine may have shipped too. Did your order status change under your profile though? Mine still says "payment received" but I ordered before 12/8/11

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #1,000 of 12,335
The shipping status info on the shopping cart is not functional. We are in the process of changing over new server that should allow some features like that, that have not been working, to work. You should get a tracking number by email the day your kit ships. If you are in the States it will be a UPS Quantum View notice. If outside the US it will be an email with your USPS tracking number. The best way to get updates on individual orders is to contact Eileen at queen at bottlehead dot com or call us M-F 10-6 PT, 206-451-4275.

Jan 14, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #1,001 of 12,335

Quote:
The shipping status info on the shopping cart is not functional. We are in the process of changing over new server that should allow some features like that, that have not been working, to work. You should get a tracking number by email the day your kit ships. If you are in the States it will be a UPS Quantum View notice. If outside the US it will be an email with your USPS tracking number. The best way to get updates on individual orders is to contact Eileen at queen at bottlehead dot com or call us M-F 10-6 PT, 206-451-4275.

Ahh, thanks for the info Doc.

Jan 14, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #1,003 of 12,335

Quote:

I got a UPS Quantum View email when mine shipped.

Yup! I just checked my email and it accidentally got deleted. Very cool, can't wait to build my kit. 
dt880smile.png

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #1,004 of 12,335

Hey Doc,

I see people talking about running a 6SN7 adapter in place of the 12au7 on the Bottlehead forum.  Is this a plug and play adapter/tube combo?  Or, does the Crack have to be modified some to make it work?  If plug and play, where could I buy the adapter?

I'd ask the question on the Bottlehead forum, but am waiting on my approval over there.

Thanks,
Scott

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #1,005 of 12,335
IDK, it's not something I have used and I don't know how it is wired with respect to the heater connections. It might be a lot cleaner to simply rewire the tube socket heater connections and plug in a 6CG7/6FQ7, which is electrically identical to the 6SN7. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back