Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jan 14, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #1,007 of 12,346
I did!  And that is ROFLMAO, actually.  Thanks for that. 
L3000.gif

Quote:
Somebody suggested I post photos of my Crack build.  Here's the first

yes I'm a little bored....

Jan 14, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #1,008 of 12,346

Quote:

Hey Doc,

I see people talking about running a 6SN7 adapter in place of the 12au7 on the Bottlehead forum.  Is this a plug and play adapter/tube combo?  Or, does the Crack have to be modified some to make it work?  If plug and play, where could I buy the adapter?

I'd ask the question on the Bottlehead forum, but am waiting on my approval over there.

Thanks,
Scott

There is an adapter that several BH members bought from an ebay seller a while back - see this thread: http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=2338.0

My recollection is that some users reported a bit of hum when running 6sn7's, but I don't recall whether the conclusion was that it was the particular tubes of the adapter causing the issue.  Once you have a speedball in place, 12bh7's are another great alternative input tube.

Jan 17, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #1,009 of 12,346
I just bought a Crack amp from the for sale forum and have been doing some research on vacuum tubes and could just about hit myself repeatedly for wasting money on amps that aren't proper tube amps... So far in my hifi career I've listened to SS and hybrid amps such as the Schitt Lyr.

But I know I love tubes and prefer tubes... the reason why I know this is because I love the sound that comes from tubed guitar amps. I suppose the reason I've avoided tube amps so far is that they seem a bit daunting, but not anymore. And I haven't really understood the way the electronics and circuits work inside. Which is also silly cause I have experience with electronics and went to electronic tech school for the military... so I understand how electricity works.

Sheesh I just hope I've finally found the "sound" I've been looking for. I have some Senn HD600s that are inbound as well so I should be a happy camper at the end of the week.
L3000.gif

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #1,010 of 12,346
I really think power tubes have a profound influence on sound, particularly from the 6AS7 family, which the Crack uses.  I have the Woo 3, which also uses the 6AS7 family.

Have you looked at the 6AS7 tube rolling thread?  Lots of good info there. 

I love the Tung-sol 5998 as my power tube.  But, other great alternatives include the Sylvania 7236, RCA 6AS7G, Tung-sol 6AS7G, and the GE 6AS7GA.

Quote:
I just bought a Crack amp from the for sale forum and have been doing some research on vacuum tubes and could just about hit myself repeatedly for wasting money on amps that aren't proper tube amps... So far in my hifi career I've listened to SS and hybrid amps such as the Schitt Lyr.

But I know I love tubes and prefer tubes... the reason why I know this is because I love the sound that comes from tubed guitar amps. I suppose the reason I've avoided tube amps so far is that they seem a bit daunting, but not anymore. And I haven't really understood the way the electronics and circuits work inside. Which is also silly cause I have experience with electronics and went to electronic tech school for the military... so I understand how electricity works.

Sheesh I just hope I've finally found the "sound" I've been looking for. I have some Senn HD600s that are inbound as well so I should be a happy camper at the end of the week.
L3000.gif

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #1,011 of 12,346

Quote:
I really think power tubes have a profound influence on sound, particularly from the 6AS7 family, which the Crack uses.  I have the Woo 3, which also uses the 6AS7 family.

For the resistor-loaded Crack and Woo 3, this is probably the case. For a Speedballed Crack though, with the CCS-load, differences between power tubes is substantially reduced.

The 5998 is good, but you really don't miss much with a bog-standard $15 RCA 6AS7G.

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #1,012 of 12,346
I really like the RCA, but all of mine are noisy.  I've gone through too many to keep searching.  It's a shame, they really are good sounding tubes.

Quote:
For the resistor-loaded Crack and Woo 3, this is probably the case. For a Speedballed Crack though, with the CCS-load, differences between power tubes is substantially reduced.

The 5998 is good, but you really don't miss much with a bog-standard $15 RCA 6AS7G.

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #1,014 of 12,346
Many of us love it, but tube rolling is fun because you can decide what you like.  Plus, since the 5998 has been hunted to extinction, they are hard to get and are expensive.  Other cheaper options have become more favorable and sound very good.

Quote:
Nope, thanks. Not that I know a thing yet, but I read that the Tungsol is a good tube to have, no?

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #1,015 of 12,346
It's here!  I decided not to relocate the RCAs and headphone jack.  Just build it "stock" at first.  Hard to believe this pile of parts will make music.............

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #1,016 of 12,346
I read somewhere that one vacuum tube does the same work as 20-30 discrete, solid state parts.

Quote:
It's here!  I decided not to relocate the RCAs and headphone jack.  Just build it "stock" at first.  Hard to believe this pile of parts will make music.............

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #1,017 of 12,346
I would believe it.  The insides of my Woo are orders of magnitude more simple than solid state amps I've opened up.  There's all kinds of widgetry inside solid state amps.

Quote:
I read somewhere that one vacuum does the same work as 20-30 discrete, solid state parts.

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #1,018 of 12,346
Just started working on my Crack kit today. Not to sound to corny, butnImam justnhaving a blastnbuilding this thing. So far I've justngot the top plate, transformer and endbell painted.  Used Rustoleum hammertone and it looks great.  Mounted the hardware on the plate and assembled the wood base.  Very, nice woodworking.  I'm sure this "simple" box is often  overlooked.  Alder is a beautiful wood.
    At first I was intimidated about the electrical part.  But after looking at the manual I feel very confident.  Awesome instructions.  I'll post some pictures later.  Thanks Doc.

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #1,019 of 12,346
I freaking love how this amp looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back