Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jun 24, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #646 of 12,335

Quote:
So then is Genelex, the tube maker, the same as G.E.C., the tube maker?

Originally it was.  Also have seen Marconi Osram name associated with the G.E.C./Genelex name.  I think both are just short for General Electric Corporation.

I say originally it was because New Sensor now owns the "Genalex" name (don't know why spelling is different) and is selling Russian made tubes under the name.

Brent Jesse - tube expert says this "KT-66: This version is the European equivalent to the 6L6GC and the 7581 type. These often have a fairly large coke bottle ST shape, and are found in both clearglass and greyglass. They can be used to replace virtually any 6L6 type. Most of those available were made by the Marconi-Osram Valve Co., under their Genalex label, or may be found with either the "Marconi" or "Osram" label. A premium audiophile version was introduced in the late 1950s under their "Gold Lion" label. These were screened for audio use, with handwritten data sheets included in the box with the tube."

Jun 24, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #647 of 12,335
Not sure about that. But that tube is a GEC 6AS7G, which is, IMHO, the finest sounding 6AS7G there is, although they are the very devil to find, and expensive as the devil when you do.

Jun 24, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #648 of 12,335
Are there any companies today that make vacuum tubes today using modern materials and design approach?  I know its not a high demand product but it would be interesting to hear what sound might be achievable using the advancements we have today to revisit the design. 

And it would be even better if it was able to work in my Crack! 
wink_face.gif

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Jun 24, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #649 of 12,335

Quote:
Not sure about that. But that tube is a GEC 6AS7G, which is, IMHO, the finest sounding 6AS7G there is, although they are the very devil to find, and expensive as the devil when you do.

Sorry, knew when I posted that I should have mentioned Brent's comment was on a KT-66, not the 6080/6AS7G required by the Crack.

Jun 24, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #650 of 12,335
Are there any companies today that make vacuum tubes today using modern materials and design approach?  I know its not a high demand product but it would be interesting to hear what sound might be achievable using the advancements we have today to revisit the design. 

And it would be even better if it was able to work in my Crack! 
wink_face.gif
The only recent example I know of this was a year or so ago a company called Blackburn Microtech started to make tubes at the famous former Mullard factory in Blackburn, Lancashire. They made 12AX7 and 12AU7's which were a totally fresh design. Sadly, the company, which made other products besides the new tube venture, went bankrupt before more than a small number of the tubes were sold. I have a pair and found them to be very good sounding. Pity.

Almost all other current-production tubes are basically working hard to copy tubes of the past.

One other thing - there a no current-production 6AS7/6080 tube types made. However, there are truly mountains of the Russian and Chinese equivalents.

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #651 of 12,335

Quote:

+1

Jun 28, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #652 of 12,335
Hey all. New guy here.
I've been lurking for a few months now. Since finding this site I have been growing more obsessed with headphone Hi-Fi. It started with a pair of ATH-A700 then a pair of ATH-EW9 to go with my Sanza Clip+/Ebay CMoy amp combo. Since then, and through all the great info on this site, I have set up foobar, purchased DB PowerAmp and ripped all my CDs to FLAC. I have an NOS Valab DAC that I run on my Hi-FI system that I have moved over to the computer until my Fubar II MKII comes in and I also bought one of the Topping TP21 amps along with the Dayton dta 100a. I'm keeping the Topping and sending the Dayton back, that amp is sketchy to say the least.
Anyway. So now I'm hooked and I just ordered one of the Crack Amps(should be a fun build). I have a Dynaco ST-70 on my Hi-Fi system and I love the tube sound so I figured the Crack would be a great amp for headphones.
I'll be using my low impedance ATH-A700 for now so I don't expect the wow factor, but I will be picking up a pair of HD600 in a month.

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #653 of 12,335
Just don't judge the crack based on its performance with your a700's. I plugged in a pair of ad700's to mine for kicks and they sounded incredibly thin/anemic.

The amp is outstanding paired with Senns and Beyers though. Congrats on your purchase!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #654 of 12,335

Oh no. I won't. I've done enough research here and and elsewhere to know that the Crack was not designed around low impedance phones so I'll reserve judgment for the Sennheisers.
L3000.gif

Quote:
Just don't judge the crack based on its performance with your a700's. I plugged in a pair of ad700's to mine for kicks and they sounded incredibly thin/anemic.

The amp is outstanding paired with Senns and Beyers though. Congrats on your purchase!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Jun 28, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #655 of 12,335
The Crack sounds really bad with low impedance cans.  I will not listen to it with my AKG K702s, but it sounds great with 600 ohm Beyerdynamic cans.

Jun 28, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #656 of 12,335

Are you the same BmW @ AudioKarma? Good to see you.
beerchug.gif

Yeah I can't wait to get the Senns. The Crack will be my first audio DIY. I've soldered in the past... Cables, bay buses for computers, just a few simple things so this will be a fun and challenging project. Hopefully it's here for the three day weekend.
atsmile.gif

Quote:
The Crack sounds really bad with low impedance cans.  I will not listen to it with my AKG K702s, but it sounds great with 600 ohm Beyerdynamic cans.

Jun 30, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #658 of 12,335
Anyone know an approx. shipping schedule on the next batch?
popcorn.gif

Jun 30, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #660 of 12,335
We are awaiting a new shipment of chassis plates. Apparently the company that laser cuts the panels for us had to find a new company to grain finish the panels for them, and this has caused a bit of a delay. We were hoping to see the panels by the end of this week, so hopefully we'll see them sometime next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back