Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Dec 18, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #7,427 of 12,335

If you have the manual i think it is best to just redo the whole wiring.

Yeah, that's what I have been doing, going through set by set inspecting so far. Then when I actually sit down to work on it I am going to go through and re-solder and check all the connections.

Have fun and best of luck!

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #7,428 of 12,335
Well I got my Bottlehead crack working today, so far its awesome! I've only heard it so far with my work setup, line out on my Fiio E10 into the Crack and then into my DT770 250ohm and it was a big difference compared to just the E10. Looking forward to hearing my HD600 on this!

So as far as things that were wrong, the power transformer was shot, once I had what I needed to power it (Euro style power cable and step-up transformer), and fixed the major issues (being the red wire off the transformer terminal 9 going to terminal 20 instead of 19, and the power resistor that goes across the PTU one side wasn't soldered on), I did the resistance checks and they were all good, so I powered it on and the PTU started smoking. So luckily a second one was included, so I swapped that out, in the process I changed quite a few of the wires, mostly to clean up how it looks, re-touched all the solder joints, then I redid the resistance checks and they looked good, powered it up, no smoke, voltage checks were good, checked the audio and all was good!

For future reference if you are going to use a step-up or step-down transformer (I am in Canada (110V)and using a 220v Crack) I recommend going with a 200W transformer even thought the amp only draws about 40W. The first one I had was 100W and I'm not sure if it was a problem with the unit or not enough power, but I switched over to the 200W and it has been working well so far.

Going to leave it stock for a little while then install the speedball addon (already have it) so I can see what kind of difference I hear.

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #7,431 of 12,335
  Well I got my Bottlehead crack working today, so far its awesome! I've only heard it so far with my work setup, line out on my Fiio E10 into the Crack and then into my DT770 250ohm and it was a big difference compared to just the E10. Looking forward to hearing my HD600 on this!

So as far as things that were wrong, the power transformer was shot, once I had what I needed to power it (Euro style power cable and step-up transformer), and fixed the major issues (being the red wire off the transformer terminal 9 going to terminal 20 instead of 19, and the power resistor that goes across the PTU one side wasn't soldered on), I did the resistance checks and they were all good, so I powered it on and the PTU started smoking. So luckily a second one was included, so I swapped that out, in the process I changed quite a few of the wires, mostly to clean up how it looks, re-touched all the solder joints, then I redid the resistance checks and they looked good, powered it up, no smoke, voltage checks were good, checked the audio and all was good!

For future reference if you are going to use a step-up or step-down transformer (I am in Canada (110V)and using a 220v Crack) I recommend going with a 200W transformer even thought the amp only draws about 40W. The first one I had was 100W and I'm not sure if it was a problem with the unit or not enough power, but I switched over to the 200W and it has been working well so far.

Going to leave it stock for a little while then install the speedball addon (already have it) so I can see what kind of difference I hear.

Why didnt u buy from bottlehead? Got it much cheaper? Wondering since its a 220.

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #7,433 of 12,335
  I'm going to say no. But I know people have cleaned it up with Cree rectifiers.

Yeah i used those already. And used a pair of triad c-7x chokes to get CLCLC. Was now thinking of making it a dual CLCRC power supply filter. Since the chokes allow me to use lower capacitance caps for the same results. If someone did this already, please let us know how it affected the sound quality. Otherwise i'm just changing the caps for bigger caps 1 + 2 and one 220uf film cap for the last one.

Jan 21, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #7,435 of 12,335
Gotcha, so maybe u will find a almost broken Crack down the road anduse the 110v transf ^^.

That would definitely be ideal! The cost to buy a new power transformer was just too high when I already had a spare 220v one and the step up transformer was a third of the cost, but ideally I would like to switch to a 110v at some point.

So if anyone ever wants to trade a 110v ptu for a 220v ptu let me know!

Jan 21, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #7,436 of 12,335
That would definitely be ideal! The cost to buy a new power transformer was just too high when I already had a spare 220v one and the step up transformer was a third of the cost, but ideally I would like to switch to a 110v at some point.

So if anyone ever wants to trade a 110v ptu for a 220v ptu let me know!

Oh y didnt even thought of that, some1 may be willing trade, u should try that. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back