Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Feb 15, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #6,526 of 12,335
  Hi, I've got a Bottlehead Crack and I'm having some problems with static / distortion. It is mostly in the right channel as far as I can tell. It seems random and presents itself rather frequently. Sometimes it is worse than others. Does anyone know what is going on? 

Start a thread here and you will get replies faster from Bottlehead themselves

http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?board=24.0

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #6,527 of 12,335
Lovely paint job on the chassis! Enjoy your newly built Crack Danger. 

Happy listening my friend 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #6,528 of 12,335
Congrats and enjoy the experience, while you waiting for your package to arrive I suggest you enjoy a pint of Guinness and remind yourself that,

"Good things come to those who wait"

I saw this image and it made me chuckle
atsmile.gif

Based on your experience , how long delivery time for BH Crack start from order date?

waiting mode: ON

Feb 15, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #6,529 of 12,335

Congrats and enjoy the experience, while you waiting for your package to arrive I suggest you enjoy a pint of Guinness and remind yourself that,

"Good things come to those who wait"

I saw this image and it made me chuckle
atsmile.gif

Based on your experience , how long delivery time for BH Crack start from order date?

waiting mode: ON

As I am not based in the US but UK it takes a little longer for perhaps 6 weeks and in the US it might be half that depending on where a bouts you are based.

Don't be but off as its a great time to visit the Bottlehead forum and pick up some handy tips and ideas on finishes read through the tube rolling thread and take some inspiration from past builds in the gallery section in preparation for its arrival.

I have done several kits now and have never worried about delivery times that way when they arrive its a unexpected surprise!

Good things come to those who wait.

Feb 15, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #6,530 of 12,335
  Just finished up my Crack tonight, not one hiccup, everything measured right the first time out. Awesome instructions. Listening right now and it is fantastic.

Congratulations nice work I like the silver finish to the top. I notice you have some different resistors fitted to the more commonly seen ones, did they come with the kit?  

Feb 15, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #6,531 of 12,335
I also had a Bottlehead Crack built for me by Shawn and can highly recommend him.  Shawn is an excellent guy to deal with and patiently answered all of my questions re the build.  The build was really professionally done and he was very quick.

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #6,534 of 12,335
That joke didn't work nearly as well as I thought it would. :p

It works perfectly, it has been up and running for about two weeks and it is great.

The only thing is that it buzzes slightly when playing battlefield. (It is plugged into my Asus essence STX sound card in my PC and is silent in all other applications.)

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #6,536 of 12,335
  Hi, I've got a Bottlehead Crack and I'm having some problems with static / distortion. It is mostly in the right channel as far as I can tell. It seems random and presents itself rather frequently. Sometimes it is worse than others. Does anyone know what is going on? 

How is the Crack hooked up? In my setup, I had a lot of issues using USB dacs. All my problems went away when using a DAC with optical. I was able to isolate the usb power on my desktop as the culprit by using my USB dac with a laptop on battery (no noise).

It's worth a shot to to try another output.

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #6,537 of 12,335
How is the Crack hooked up? In my setup, I had a lot of issues using USB dacs. All my problems went away when using a DAC with optical. I was able to isolate the usb power on my desktop as the culprit by using my USB dac with a laptop on battery (no noise).

It's worth a shot to to try another output.

Zotac Pico > Music Hall 25.3 > Bottlehead Crack. I've had the issue from multiple sources and headphones and have narrowed it down to the amp.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #6,538 of 12,335

Congratulations nice work I like the silver finish to the top. I notice you have some different resistors fitted to the more commonly seen ones, did they come with the kit?  

Yeah, I noticed that it was slightly different from what I had seen. The 270ohm resistor under the transformer is larger 10w rather than the shorter 5w. My Crack came with a note for the deviation, I'm no EE, so I asked no questions and followed the directions.

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #6,539 of 12,335
Welp, just placed my order for the Crack with speedball upgrade, for powering the HD650... and the wait begins! What I really wanted was the SEX, but unfortunately can't justify the extra expense. I didn't even mean to order the speedball at the time, that just kinda...happened. Hah.

I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with listening to low-impedance cans using the Crack and an impedance adapter? I know the Etymotic ER4P has an impedance adapter that can "turn it into" the ER4S. I'm curious if using an impedance adapter with other headphones would make them more suitable, like Grados or even single-driver IEMs. Just a thought.

Feb 17, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #6,540 of 12,335
  That joke didn't work nearly as well as I thought it would. :p

It works perfectly, it has been up and running for about two weeks and it is great.

The only thing is that it buzzes slightly when playing battlefield. (It is plugged into my Asus essence STX sound card in my PC and is silent in all other applications.)

its best or you should really be playing games like bf with the headphones plugged directly into the soundcard so you have good stereo positioning ...... so sounds around you are not confusing at where there are coming from  
thats what I find anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back