Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Feb 2, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #6,481 of 12,335
I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how tangible the differences are assuming you have a high impedance headphone. I know several who have moved to Crack from o2 and it's like seeing the world in a small 2d screen to a large 3d one. Don't know if that's a good analogy but is very noticeable and i think the returns are very worthwhile.

I am primarily using an HD650. That would be a nice upgrade if that is the case... I definitely feel the HD650 has more potential to grow, although it sounds very solid with the current setup.

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #6,482 of 12,335
  Atsq is right. Upgrading from the O2 to the Crack will really open up your headphones significantly. There's much more air between instruments, sound stage improved, and you'll hear details that you never heard from the O2. 

I have not heard of that DAC before but will consider it when I purchase one. I mainly heard great reviews from the Schiit Bifrost for the Crack. Any noticeable differences between the two DAC's?

Thanks for that!

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #6,483 of 12,335
  Atsq is right. Upgrading from the O2 to the Crack will really open up your headphones significantly. There's much more air between instruments, sound stage improved, and you'll hear details that you never heard from the O2. 

I have not heard of that DAC before but will consider it when I purchase one. I mainly heard great reviews from the Schiit Bifrost for the Crack. Any noticeable differences between the two DAC's?

Bifrost Uber with USB2 is known to be a decent mid level standard for DACs. I am sure it is excellent. 

However, I find that the Audio GD is usually amazing value for money. I've never done a head-to-head but ALL my DACs are Audio GD at the moment as I always want max value for money. also, the Audio GD USB32 implementation (with latest firmware) is one of the best available at this price point. I know people with top of the line setups who stopped using expensive converters because the Audio GD USB32 implementation improved so much that they no longer needed it. 

Second hand bargains to look out for around that price point:

Audio GD NFB1.32 (almost identical to the current NFB 1 - 2014), SA 1.32 (discontinued but awesome), NFB-3 2014 (old NFB-3 are completely different and inferior), Reference 5.32, DAC19-DSP (if you are willing to use Audiophilleo converter as the USB for this particular unit, if it exists, is average). 

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #6,484 of 12,335

Bifrost Uber with USB2 is known to be a decent mid level standard for DACs. I am sure it is excellent. 

However, I find that the Audio GD is usually amazing value for money. I've never done a head-to-head but ALL my DACs are Audio GD at the moment as I always want max value for money. also, the Audio GD USB32 implementation (with latest firmware) is one of the best available at this price point. I know people with top of the line setups who stopped using expensive converters because the Audio GD USB32 implementation improved so much that they no longer needed it. 

Second hand bargains to look out for around that price point:

Audio GD NFB1.32 (almost identical to the current NFB 1 - 2014), SA 1.32 (discontinued but awesome), NFB-3 2014 (old NFB-3 are completely different and inferior), Reference 5.32, DAC19-DSP (if you are willing to use Audiophilleo converter as the USB for this particular unit, if it exists, is average). 

I just want to echo this wonderful suggestion. I'd used many DACs with my Crack and I really found Audio GD DACs offer excellent value. I've used my NFB-7 (2014) with Audio GD DI-2014 converter for my Crack and my T1/HD650 sound absolutely fantastic.

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #6,485 of 12,335
  I just want to echo this wonderful suggestion. I'd used many DACs with my Crack and I really found Audio GD DACs offer excellent value. I've used my NFB-7 (2014) with Audio GD DI-2014 converter for my Crack and my T1/HD650 sound absolutely fantastic.

Wow nice. That's the very high end version of what I was suggesting.  :)

Feb 5, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #6,488 of 12,335
These new 470 ohm Audio Technicas will be very interesting to hear with the Crack:
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/f39784ce643a82e6/index.html

According to Amazon they will be released on May 1.

Feb 5, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #6,489 of 12,335
Am I the only one reading "open back headphones for professional settings" and scratching his head? AT makes some mighty nice cans and I will be very interested to hear them. 

Feb 5, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #6,490 of 12,335
Am I the only one reading "open back headphones for professional settings" and scratching his head? AT makes some mighty nice cans and I will be very interested to hear them. 

Yeah. Love to try them with the Crack. Looks like Amazon has them listed for release May 1st gor $349.

Feb 5, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #6,491 of 12,335
Very interested to hear more about these as well.  Hd650's need some competition, and if the street price is $350, these should do just that.  Wonder why ATH didn't go with larger 53mm drivers though.  I love that deep bass slam on my es10's, and a more neutral, open, high impedance version of them would be very intriguing indeed.

Feb 6, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #6,493 of 12,335

Hey, Ive been considering the Audio GD interface. Have you compared it to any others, and what was the total cost after shipping (I've heard audio-gd is great with shipping times)? My setup will be the same, minus DACs (I have a mhdt labs paradisea 3)

Feb 7, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #6,494 of 12,335
Would love one of these, but I have zero electronics knowledge and the only time I tried some soldering it didn't end well.  Buying pre-assembled from the used section isn't any good to me, since they'll all be 120V and non compatible with 230V for Australia.  And I don't have the patience to wait X amount of time for it to be made, and then shipped to someone for them to assemble for me.  If only Bottlehead offered assembled units, directly purchased from them, with little wait.  

Dave

Feb 7, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #6,495 of 12,335
  Would love one of these, but I have zero electronics knowledge and the only time I tried some soldering it didn't end well.  Buying pre-assembled from the used section isn't any good to me, since they'll all be 120V and non compatible with 230V for Australia.  And I don't have the patience to wait X amount of time for it to be made, and then shipped to someone for them to assemble for me.  If only Bottlehead offered assembled units, directly purchased from them, with little wait.  

Dave

Hi Dave, you really shouldn't hesitate to have one pre built.

Talk to Shawn aka hifibuilderguy the man is a true gentleman he will build your BHC and mod it for you if you so wish.

I had mine pre built by Shawn and shipped to me here in England, didn't take long at all and Shawn kept me up to date with everything and answered all my questions.

http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=4783.0

well worth it imo.

- Angerer

Edit*  if you have a read around on here there's a few who've had theirs custom built by Shawn :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back