Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Sep 9, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #5,956 of 12,347
I finished my Crack this evening--woohoo! It was a fun build, except for a couple spots where it was very tight getting everything in. Glad I have a very narrow pair of needle-nosed pliers. The resistances all check out; I'll do the voltage checks tomorrow. I painted the chassis plate and transformer bell with a dark bronze hammer tone finish, but I haven't decided how to finish the base.

Sep 10, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #5,959 of 12,347
Thanks!  I took my time and the manual was outstanding--it made things very easy to follow. The tubes are in and it's ready for the voltage checks tonight--hoping I don't let out any of the precious magic smoke.

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #5,960 of 12,347
  Thanks!  I took my time and the manual was outstanding--it made things very easy to follow. The tubes are in and it's ready for the voltage checks tonight--hoping I don't let out any of the precious magic smoke.

Nice neat build, fingers crossed your  voltage checks all go ok and you get to enjoy the fruits of your labour tonight. 

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #5,961 of 12,347
liamstrain: You should get a chance to compare a cheap pair of electrolytics to even a basic pair of polyprop or film caps. The difference is not what I would consider small.

Jamie: Which Jantzens have you tried? I presume your cap rolling experience is only with the Crack?

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #5,962 of 12,347
  liamstrain: You should get a chance to compare a cheap pair of electrolytics to even a basic pair of polyprop or film caps. The difference is not what I would consider small.

I have done so many times over the years, in many different types of amps. In a properly designed circuit (like the Crack's) - the difference is very small provided they are correctly specced - even against some of the most vaunted names in audiophile capacitors. And to be fair, the ones provided with the Crack kit, are not crappy caps to begin with.

I would not be surprised to find in a level matched DBT, that it was entirely indistinguishable. But that's just my $.02. I prefer to look down other paths for my audible sound modifications. We don't need to rehash the argument here - just wanted to point out that my opinion is not based just on what the theory says, but also my personal experience. :)

Sep 10, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #5,963 of 12,347
I think the point here is not whether Liam hears a difference or not. The point is that he took the effort to find out if he hears a difference or not. That's what this DIY gig is all about. To each his own what the final result may be. Obviously I come from the "what matters in an audio system - everything" school, but I thoroughly respect someone who finds our stuff fine as it comes out of the box. That is what we are shooting for, to produce a product where modification might give you improvement, but it might also be right on the threshold of diminishing returns to mod it. Hopefully Liam's observations support the notion that we are close to that.

Sep 10, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #5,964 of 12,347
Thanks Doc, and sorry for the tangent. I won't bring it up outside of the "sound science" subforum again. :)

Sep 10, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #5,965 of 12,347

Jamie: Which Jantzens have you tried? I presume your cap rolling experience is only with the Crack?

My cap rolling experimentation has been with the Crack so far and will soon extend to the Bottlehead Sex amp when I get finished putting it together.

The Jantzen's were the superior Z caps

Some pics and details of some of mods and combinations tried in the link

http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=5284.0

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #5,968 of 12,347
@Barry S: That is a very clean build. I like the way you cleaned up around the nine-pin for the Speedball install. After seeing your build, I am seriously considering buying another Crack just so that I can get the wiring that clean. Currently I will really struggle to install the Speedball in my Crack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back