Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jul 6, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #5,446 of 12,335
  The Crack can work as a preamp, but I would think the Smash or even Quickie would be better as a preamp. Actually pretty sure somewhere on their website they say the Quickie is better as a preamp than Crack. If you're only looking for preamp use, the new Smash is about the same price as Crack+Speedball. If you want both a headphones amp and a preamp, then maybe get Crack. Since you're into the 300B, I'm sure you've given the BeePre a look. The Smash is supposed to be trickle down technology of the BeePre, but no 300B tube. After hearing the Smash in my chain, I too am thinking about the BeePre.
tongue.gif

WOW, so many new product lines since I last looked, Ima go and check out the bottlehead site, to um, fill in the cracks.

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #5,448 of 12,335
Well if there is one thing that sways me to the bottlehead gear is the DIY factor.  I know once I've diyed something I have no fear to tear it down and improve upon it, because I understand the schematic and the process of each component.  I'd also hope that the sound quality for the price is excellent due to the diy factor.

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #5,449 of 12,335
  Well if there is one thing that sways me to the bottlehead gear is the DIY factor.  I know once I've diyed something I have no fear to tear it down and improve upon it, because I understand the schematic and the process of each component.  I'd also hope that the sound quality for the price is excellent due to the diy factor.

Yes and yes.

Also, there's that certain connection you create with a piece of gear when you personally assembled and tested it. I find it very easy to part with things I've bought, but it's decidedly harder with things I've built. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #5,450 of 12,335

Yes and yes.

Also, there's that certain connection you create with a piece of gear when you personally assembled and tested it. I find it very easy to part with things I've bought, but it's decidedly harder with things I've built. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

Probably a good thing, because you don't have an ISO9001 certification (or whatever international standard).  Nah, that doesn't really matter for non commercial ventures....for me I have a problem with parting away with stuff...because of my slight tendency to hoard stuff...except for headphone stuff, I am an outright hoarder...

Jul 7, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #5,452 of 12,335

Just the 12AU7.  Nothing I saw on that site for the 6080 tube or any of it's variants.

And I should have added. I have some Sophia Electric 2A3 tubes I bought years ago when I was in Washington D.C.  Owner of the company brought them to my hotel and I hand carried them back home to Japan.  Great tubes.  They are actually installed in my Bottlehead Paramour amps now as we speak.  I roll between old RCA 2A3's and the Sophia tubes depending on mood.  Love the look of those big mesh plates in the dark as well.

Jul 7, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #5,453 of 12,335

Firing guns taught me something about physiology and hearing.  Sighting a rifle with hearing protection on is a terrifying experience for me.  But out in the field, firing a rifle after sprinting for your prey, without protection (can't stalk if you can't hear), it sounds more like back round noise.  Could easily start critiquing the sound quality of various rifles, shotguns and ammo. 

Its weird, when thoroughly warmed up, no ringing, no issues and apparently no pain.  But cold with protection and its terrifying.  I wonder if adrenaline can protect your hearing for short moments.  Firing a rifle in the field is actually a rare occurence, a clean shot can be very hard, try holding a rifle or shotgun still after sprinting.

But that is not why I am here.  I wanna know if anybody has used the crack as a preamp?  Am tossing between an all out 300b bottle head for speakers or a tube preamp.  It doen't help after listening to my HD650s on the reference rig and realising that its too good a headphone to not give it the amp it needs to shine.

Boy that is really interesting. I have never hunted anything bigger than rats, but I have put a lot of lead downrange in years past. I absolutely hate the report of a firearm without muffs. But I could and did shoot for hours at a time doubled up with in-ear plugs and muffs. What terrified me was usually some idiotic rube next to me on the firing line waving his gun around or playing with it while shooters were downrange. The things I suggest to anyone who shoots at a range and wants to try to preserve their hearing as much as possible is don't shoot firearms with ported barrels, and if you have a firearm that can use it shoot subsonic ammo. Supersonic ammo and ported barrels send shock waves right through your facial bones and because of that muffs can only protect you so much. 

Jul 7, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #5,456 of 12,335
@Doc B.

The pairing of Smash+Crack is working out pretty well. I don't want to spoil much on it here until the tubes in the Smash are properly burned in. Have you had the chance to try the BeePre into the Mainline with the HD800? If you have, how is it? I'd imagine the BeePre to be an upgrade over the Smash and the Mainline an upgrade over Crack.

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #5,458 of 12,335
After some comparisons with Smash and no Smash in chain, I can conclude that has the same effect on the Crack as it did with my Questyle. What that effect is will be revealed in due time.
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #5,459 of 12,335
  Boy that is really interesting. I have never hunted anything bigger than rats, but I have put a lot of lead downrange in years past. I absolutely hate the report of a firearm without muffs. But I could and did shoot for hours at a time doubled up with in-ear plugs and muffs. What terrified me was usually some idiotic rube next to me on the firing line waving his gun around or playing with it while shooters were downrange. The things I suggest to anyone who shoots at a range and wants to try to preserve their hearing as much as possible is don't shoot firearms with ported barrels, and if you have a firearm that can use it shoot subsonic ammo. Supersonic ammo and ported barrels send shock waves right through your facial bones and because of that muffs can only protect you so much. 

Ahhh, the good Doctor himself...the one with the cure to my addiction.  Great points, next time I'm at the range will obtain ear plugs and muffs to double up on the protection.  I think when one sees a gun for what it really is, an instrument designed for no other purpose but to cause death, I think this education could go a long way to avoiding idiots waving a gun barrel willy nilly.  Never ceases to amaze me that the first thing a person does when I let them hold my rifles, with no ammo and bolt, is to point it directly at someone in jest.  For me a gun was the natural progression from my fishing rods and connects me even more to the natural order...and much like how tube amps connect me more to the natural order of sounds.

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #5,460 of 12,335

Ahhh, the good Doctor himself...the one with the cure to my addiction.  Great points, next time I'm at the range will obtain ear plugs and muffs to double up on the protection.  I think when one sees a gun for what it really is, an instrument designed for no other purpose but to cause death, I think this education could go a long way to avoiding idiots waving a gun barrel willy nilly.  Never ceases to amaze me that the first thing a person does when I let them hold my rifles, with no ammo and bolt, is to point it directly at someone in jest.  For me a gun was the natural progression from my fishing rods and connects me even more to the natural order...and much like how tube amps connect me more to the natural order of sounds.

How about a gun with tubes ! Now that's convergence!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back