Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Apr 27, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #4,742 of 12,347
Too many amps to choose from but The Crack is the only one that catching a lot of my attentions specially it will be my first DIY tube Amp.

It was my first DIY tube amp also.

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #4,745 of 12,347
I think a first timer could absolutely do it.  One thing I will say, speaking from experience.  wire routing matters.  I was chasing down a humm in my crack, only to find that I routed a wire under a tube instead of around it.    Yes, it was easier to do it my way, but easier isn't always better. lol. 

Having said that, just follow the EASY to follow directions and reference all the pictures.  If something isn't right, the bottlehead forums are an easy place to find the answer.

and building it is fun.

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #4,746 of 12,347
Was my first P2P project (point to point) and it was easy. I enjoyed it so much I'm actually building an OTL P2P from headwize, its going to be a challenge.

Apr 27, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #4,749 of 12,347
How was the build did it go according to plan?

Yes, only the tube was faulty and I got channel imbalance. I did some cables before this, thats all. Manual is fantastic, even for someone like me that doesn't speak English as first language. I really enjoyed the build and this thing is so amazing sound wise. Haven't done any tube rolling, am trying to find a TS5998 atm.

Apr 27, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #4,750 of 12,347
  In your opinion was it easy enough for a first timer?

Not to sound like an advertisement, but Bottlehead states this front and center (well, right justified) on their main page of their website.  I hadn't soldered in my life, and have very little experience with DIY in general.  I completed the Crack amp in two evenings (roughly 10 hours total) from the time I opened the box, to the time I was testing voltages.  Everything checked out fine, no hiccups.

I then installed Speedball a year later and it went even smoother.

The instructions are spelled out word for word, step by step; very easy to follow.

If you can build a Lego pirate ship, you can build this amplifier.

Apr 27, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #4,751 of 12,347

Not to sound like an advertisement, but Bottlehead states this front and center (well, right justified) on their main page of their website.  I hadn't soldered in my life, and have very little experience with DIY in general.  I completed the Crack amp in two evenings (roughly 10 hours total) from the time I opened the box, to the time I was testing voltages.  Everything checked out fine, no hiccups.

I then installed Speedball a year later and it went even smoother.

The instructions are spelled out word for word, step by step; very easy to follow.

If you can build a Lego pirate ship, you can build this amplifier.

+1 - very, very straightforward and the instructions are literally perfect to follow between the great descriptions and the images provided

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #4,752 of 12,347
I am an EE in profession and can say Doc has done a great job of the instructions. They are equal to the quality of the design topology and resulting sound quality when the Crack is built according to the instructions. This amp is second only to my Zana Deux SE in my collection. Having both, I still spend a lot of time with a Crack + HD800 / T90 / T1 fed by a Concero HD. Chatham 6AS7g and RCA clear top. Great sounding system.

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #4,754 of 12,347
I really want to see somebody build the amp into a lego chassis now...

edit: uh, then again, some of those ships ain't nothin' to scoff at...

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1227646
bild02.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back