Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Mar 30, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #4,426 of 12,346
  On the bottlehead crack product page you will see a option to select a 240 transformer when ordering at no extra cost. The kit then arrives with transformer specified for uk use.

I noticed that, but I'm talking about if a buy a used one from the USA. Would something like this be what I would need - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/45W-45-WATT-STEP-DOWN-TRANSFORMER-UK-220V-230V-240V-TO-USA-100V-110V-120V-/121163510741

DIY and electronics are two things I know very, very little about.

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #4,427 of 12,346
 If anyone sees anything problematic or have some ideas what to test or measure then please share your thoughts. 

You chose such a beautiful color for the wood! It looks great.

The braiding of your three wires from the pot to the RCA jacks doesn't seem to be as tight as suggested in the manual. That may make it more susceptible to interference as a result. I have no idea if it would really affect the sound so much, but it's the only thing I thought of as I looked at the pictures.

I hope you find the problem soon so it sounds as lovely as it looks! 

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #4,428 of 12,346

I noticed that, but I'm talking about if a buy a used one from the USA. Would something like this be what I would need - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/45W-45-WATT-STEP-DOWN-TRANSFORMER-UK-220V-230V-240V-TO-USA-100V-110V-120V-/121163510741

DIY and electronics are two things I know very, very little about.

I personally use this guy as a step up and step down transfromer.  It works wonderfully and as far as I can tell is pretty silent (if there are in fact noisy ones that is)  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0022TOK2Q/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also I still suggest you build one.  You honestly don't need to know much about DIY or electronics to do this.  That is how good the instruction manual is.   Cheers to bottlehead for putting the instruction manual together like the crack's for every single kit they offer.  

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #4,429 of 12,346
   You chose such a beautiful color for the wood! It looks great.

The braiding of your three wires from the pot to the RCA jacks doesn't seem to be as tight as suggested in the manual. That may make it more susceptible to interference as a result. I have no idea if it would really affect the sound so much, but it's the only thing I thought of as I looked at the pictures.

I hope you find the problem soon so it sounds as lovely as it looks! 

Thank you! It is dark walnut. I may braid it more tightly and test if that changes anything. If you leave that little crackle to a side it sounds as lovely as it looks 
dt880smile.png

Mar 30, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #4,430 of 12,346
Alright, got it all tested and working. Put a real quick rig together in on my coffee table to have an initial listen to. Macbook Pro to Magni to Crack to HD 800. Dark grey hammered paint on the chassis. Aged walnut for the wood. Crappy pic, but whatever. I'll throw up better ones later.

I got the Speedball upgrade as well, but decided to not throw it on their yet because I wanted to hear the stock unit for a while. Not initially blown away by the sound as I feel like I have a better amp for every can I've thrown at it so far, but I kinda expected that. I really picked it up because it sounded like a fun project and it definitely was, so I'm very happy so far. Already drawing up ideas of another unit with a fully custom chassis.

Mar 30, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #4,431 of 12,346
I have a walnut base also and really like it. I like the paint on the plate, looks good. What kind of IC's are you using there? And what is your favorite amp with the hd800?

thanks...

Mar 30, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #4,432 of 12,346
  I personally use this guy as a step up and step down transfromer.  It works wonderfully and as far as I can tell is pretty silent (if there are in fact noisy ones that is)  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0022TOK2Q/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also I still suggest you build one.  You honestly don't need to know much about DIY or electronics to do this.  That is how good the instruction manual is.   Cheers to bottlehead for putting the instruction manual together like the crack's for every single kit they offer.  

Perfect. Thanks. I'll be on the lookout for a similar one that is sold in the UK.

Mar 30, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #4,433 of 12,346
  Alright, got it all tested and working. Put a real quick rig together in on my coffee table to have an initial listen to. Macbook Pro to Magni to Crack to HD 800. Dark grey hammered paint on the chassis. Aged walnut for the wood. Crappy pic, but whatever. I'll throw up better ones later.

I got the Speedball upgrade as well, but decided to not throw it on their yet because I wanted to hear the stock unit for a while. Not initially blown away by the sound as I feel like I have a better amp for every can I've thrown at it so far, but I kinda expected that. I really picked it up because it sounded like a fun project and it definitely was, so I'm very happy so far. Already drawing up ideas of another unit with a fully custom chassis.

Tubes, mods and source will get you there.

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #4,434 of 12,346
I have a walnut base also and really like it. I like the paint on the plate, looks good. What kind of IC's are you using there? And what is your favorite amp with the hd800?

thanks...

The cables are the ones you buy direct from Schiit. I forgot who supplies them. The Lyr isn't bad with the HD 800, but it's not great either. Probably pick up a Taurus MkII soon.

Mar 31, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #4,435 of 12,346
Tubes, mods and source will get you there.

We'll see. I tend to prefer a more neutral and transparent signature, but I'm going to try and push the Crack towards a warm, tubey, laid back signature since most of my other equipment isn't that at all. What tubes are recommended for that direction? I'm not ready for mods outside of the Speedball just yet and my sources are very good already.

Mar 31, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #4,436 of 12,346
We'll see. I tend to prefer a more neutral and transparent signature, but I'm going to try and push the Crack towards a warm, tubey, laid back signature since most of my other equipment isn't that at all. What tubes are recommended for that direction? I'm not ready for mods outside of the Speedball just yet and my sources are very good already.

If you want a warmer tilt with impactful bass like that of planars, add a Quickie with PJCCS upgrade to the chain. Great pairing imo.

Mar 31, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #4,437 of 12,346
For warm and laid back, I'd recommend a a good quiet chatham mil spec 6080 in the back (for a little more bass bloom and a little less brightness than the higher tranconductance lower output impedance options like 5998) and an Amperex bugle boy up front. For a slightly better sounding, but still warm combo with hd800s, install your speedball and then run a Tung Sol 12BH7 in front.

Mar 31, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #4,438 of 12,346
If you want a warmer tilt with impactful bass like that of planars, add a Quickie with PJCCS upgrade to the chain. Great pairing imo.

For warm and laid back, I'd recommend a a good quiet chatham mil spec 6080 in the back (for a little more bass bloom and a little less brightness than the higher tranconductance lower output impedance options like 5998) and an Amperex bugle boy up front. For a slightly better sounding, but still warm combo with hd800s, install your speedball and then run a Tung Sol 12BH7 in front.

Thanks. Will be looking into this.

Mar 31, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #4,439 of 12,346

Very interesting.
The cables are the ones you buy direct from Schiit. I forgot who supplies them. The Lyr isn't bad with the HD 800, but it's not great either. Probably pick up a Taurus MkII soon.

I was really fishing to know what you thought of the hd800 with the crack. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back