Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Mar 15, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #4,247 of 12,335
To Jamies list I can add Burroughs Corporation, I remember turning a load down from Angela Instruments as they were $135 for ten! Thought they were too expensive at the time! [mid 1990s], they were made in 1965.

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #4,250 of 12,335
^ very nice finish...Looks great!

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #4,251 of 12,335
^^ I concur, very nice looking. I'd love to see more pics during the course of the build. I'm seriously thinking about doing a Crack project myself.

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #4,255 of 12,335
Thanks for the progress pics. I'm really enjoying watching this go together.

I can tell it won't be long before I place my order. :D

Mar 15, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #4,256 of 12,335

Well, I ended up with some more time this evening that wasn't expected and it was smooth sailing. Turned it on for the first time and took all my measurements. Everything looked good, so I plugged in a sacrificial set of cans to see if there was noise. So far, so good! Then pulled out my HD650's and am loving it so far! Super happy with how its turned out.

I still don't know who makes the 6080WB as there is no markings on it. The other tube is an HP 5963 tube.  The sound is fantastic. Gonna play with it for the next little while and then maybe look at the speed ball.

Mar 15, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #4,257 of 12,335
  I'm liking my new PEC 100k so far ,also I took a bit different approach on connecting Dytons

That's a neat idea for the attaching the caps. I was in the local diy superstore looking for some draw handles the other the other day there were quiet a few types of handle that would easily double as capacitor mounting brackets. Its getting a bit tight for room now on my Crack .

Quote:

Well, I ended up with some more time this evening that wasn't expected and it was smooth sailing. Turned it on for the first time and took all my measurements. Everything looked good, so I plugged in a sacrificial set of cans to see if there was noise. So far, so good! Then pulled out my HD650's and am loving it so far! Super happy with how its turned out.

I still don't know who makes the 6080WB as there is no markings on it. The other tube is an HP 5963 tube.  The sound is fantastic. Gonna play with it for the next little while and then maybe look at the speed ball.

Nice job, I only lasted a week with the Crack in standard form before curiosity got the better of me and the speedball went in.

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #4,258 of 12,335

That's a neat idea for the attaching the caps. I was in the local diy superstore looking for some draw handles the other the other day there were quiet a few types of handle that would easily double as capacitor mounting brackets. Its getting a bit tight for room now on my Crack .

atsmile.gif
 just wondering how much does the crack weigh with all the caps you got there 

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #4,259 of 12,335

That's a fantastic looking build, syphen!!

As for your tube, it looks a lot like the GE (I think) that came with my Crack. I'll see if I can track down a pick in my sale thread to double check the brand and will edit this post if I can confirm.

Edit: Confirmed that mine was a GE 6080WC which looked identical to your tube in the pics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back