Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jun 17, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #1,203 of 12,335

I just got done with the resistance checks. I open my tube boxes so I can start the voltage checks and notice this. Seems like the part came off of the Octal tube, the center piece in the shape of a cylinder with a little bump.
Wondering if this is still usable or not.

Thanks,

Jun 17, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #1,204 of 12,335
Quote:

I just got done with the resistance checks. I open my tube boxes so I can start the voltage checks and notice this. Seems like the part came off of the Octal tube, the center piece in the shape of a cylinder with a little bump.
Wondering if this is still usable or not.

Thanks,

Yes, the tube is still useable, you just have to make sure you install it correctly.  The broken off piece had an alignment tab on it so the tubes would only fit into the socket one way.

I'd try super glueing or hot glueing the pin back on the base.  Hopefully you can tell how to align it correctly.

Jun 17, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #1,205 of 12,335
All my readings check out but a few.

A6 - 150
A8 - 12.6

B1 - 150
B3 - 150

I would post on the BottleHead Forums but my account is still waiting approval. Not sure if anyone can help me here with my current problems though.

Jun 22, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #1,208 of 12,335
They seem to be almost caught up on shipments - it may not be that long. 

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #1,209 of 12,335
I posted this earlier on BH Forums, but I'll post here for duplicity-sake!

[size=12pt]UPDATE (6/23/12):[/size]

Was getting anxious to get the capacitors off of the ground from the adhesive cable tie mounts not bonding well when the chassis gets hot.  Found some #10 bolts and nuts (1/2" length, but wanted 1/4") and bolted the mounts to the underside.  The cable ties were not easy threading through the mounts, now with a screw there.  Would have been easier with a smaller bolt/nut.  I threw the aluminum knob on again too.  Overall it wasn't too bad, but I wish I used a different mounting system to make the job easier.  I'm borrowing the interconnects from a friend, who also sold me the KECES DA-151 DAC (USB) at a generous price.

Jun 24, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #1,210 of 12,335
Hey guys just a quick question. Well pictures should explain better.

The rear tube socket isn't straight when I tighten the screws, its like I should use the washer but I am worried I might need it later.

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #1,211 of 12,335
As long as it holds securely, I wouldn't worry too much. As far as I know, there is no reason that both sides of the bracket MUST touch the plate. You might try loosening the other side slightly, to balance it a bit. As long as it is secure, and so is the component strip, you're in good shape. 

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #1,212 of 12,335
Yeah, if you bottom the soft aluminum bracket against the chassis on both sides you will actually bend it and create a situation where the socket can eventually start to wiggle around. The bracket needs to have a little space to properly clamp the socket to the plate. 

Sometimes what seems to be less than perfect is the way something works best. As another example I sometimes see people making perfect sharp right angle bends in their wiring. It looks very neat, but bending a wire at a sharp angle can create fractures in the internal crystal structure that are not particularly desirable. 

Jun 25, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #1,213 of 12,335
Finished my Speedball upgrade. Magical.

I accidentally swapped the 237 and 31.6 ohm resistors. Took a while to figure that out. The small board LEDs were not lighting up and I did a lot of re-soldering in an attempt to find the culprit. My eyes could not tell those resistors apart, the multimeter had no such problems.

Hi .Sup, glad to see you are joining the Crack family.

Jun 25, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #1,214 of 12,335
Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up using that washer anyway, it was a bit wiggly but a tightened the screws and it looks really good now, hopefully I won't need that washer. I started soldering.

Thanks for the welcome Dray! I got an email from customs asking me if I can describe what these parts are for, maybe they suspected they were bomb parts hehe

Jun 25, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #1,215 of 12,335
I'm quite intrigued about this amp... How does the Crack w/ Speedball compare with La Figaro 339. Especially regarding HD650.

Tx,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back