Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Mar 5, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #10,726 of 12,335
Hey all,

What kind of DACs are you guys pairing with the BHC? I’m hot rodding mines as a majority of you are but curious what is considered a good or bad pairing with it or if that depends entirely on the tubes used. I plan on getting a NOS DAC like the Menuet or Morpheus but don’t know if that would sound too warm with the BHC. Are neutral or brighter DACs a better pairing?

Mar 5, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #10,727 of 12,335
Hey all,

What kind of DACs are you guys pairing with the BHC? I’m hot rodding mines as a majority of you are but curious what is considered a good or bad pairing with it or if that depends entirely on the tubes used. I plan on getting a NOS DAC like the Menuet or Morpheus but don’t know if that would sound too warm with the BHC. Are neutral or brighter DACs a better pairing?
I use a Mojo Audio EVO Mystique d-a-c. It is a n/o/s R2R design - not to be confused with Chord Mojo. The BHC is a great match to the Mystique.

Mar 5, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #10,728 of 12,335
Oooooooh, it's working! Doc B. over at the Bottlehead forums spotted that I hadn't properly soldered the black ground on the headphone jack, now it's... well, it's kinda glorious.

IMG_0921.jpg

Mar 5, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #10,729 of 12,335
Holy crap y'all I built an amp...

Mar 5, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #10,730 of 12,335
Oooooooh, it's working! Doc B. over at the Bottlehead forums spotted that I hadn't properly soldered the black ground on the headphone jack, now it's... well, it's kinda glorious.

IMG_0921.jpg

It turned out to be a soldering joint problem eventually...:dt880smile:

Glad Doc B caught it with his hawk eyes. I was about to question the soldering joints you did on the headphone jack earlier, which is a little bit different than mine (see the photo attached), but I thought Bottlehead might have changed their procedures over the years...

Crack04c.jpg

Mar 5, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #10,731 of 12,335
It's been a while since I've visited the Crack thread, and it's got me thinking about tinkering again. A few ideas I might start plotting:

1. Adding a VU meter to the front panel
2. Installing a Khadas toneboard 2 inside the chassis for an onboard DAC
3. Installing a Schiit Phono card next to the line-level RCA inputs (although I have no idea if this needs to be connected to the power supply or if it is really 'passive)
4. Adding RCA pre-outs

1. Adding some VU meter will definitely make the amp look more beautiful, but I think the meter will add some additional load to the tubes/circuit, kinda like insert a damper into the circuit, so it might affect the performance a little bit if not carefully calculated/executed.

2. Regarding the onboard DAC, @carlman14 did a fantastic job on his Crack, you can refer to his onboard DAC mod:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/crack-bottlehead-otl.476650/post-16187626

3.&4. I guess are the same thing, right? You want to add some Schiit plug-in for pre-amp output on Crack? It could be a great idea. IIRC, no one here has done it before, you can definitely try it out and let us know. It would be great to have some pre-outs to work with speaker amps.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #10,732 of 12,335

IMG_0921.jpg
A really nice look. I like the driver tube socket and the match of the transformer cap and the chassis plate. Beautiful finish on the base!😄😄

Mar 6, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #10,734 of 12,335
Agree, a very nice build. :)

Have you put some clear coating or wax on your base, @DeweyCH? Why is it so shining?
Just some wipe on water based poly.

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #10,735 of 12,335
A really nice look. I like the driver tube socket and the match of the transformer cap and the chassis plate. Beautiful finish on the base!😄😄
Much appreciated! I’m not much of a wood or metal painter but it turned out pretty decent for me

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #10,736 of 12,335
Hey all,

I paired mine with a Bifrost 2, rca cleartop for the input, svetlana 6H5C power tube, russian film caps, and a choke. Sounds very nice.

Mar 12, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #10,739 of 12,335
Here, 4th grade arts project turned into an actual arts project 🎨 I accidentally left some glue residue in certain places before applying the stain, so the glue spots didn't stain well and looked all funky. SO I just decided to go wild and paint over them with acrylics! Loving how personal this DIY stuff can be.

Just finished assembling the chassis, now time to get soldering :xf_cool:

IMG_4252.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back