Crack;Bottlehead OTL
May 19, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #9,991 of 12,335
May 19, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #9,992 of 12,335
Now the question is: HD800 or ZMF Auteur.....
I looked at the Auteur after you mentioned it. That's never really been on my radar. It's a beautiful headphone.

As I've been looking into the HD800, there are certainly some good deals on them from time to time (even the HD800s).

I've been doing some A/B tests between listening to my HD650 on my BHC vs. some HE-560 v3 running balanced on a Topping DX7Pro. Depending on the album, the BHC can be a bit too warm or the Topping/HE-560 combo can be a little too light. There is no Goldilocks. I love the greater detail and separation of the HE-560 but I hate the lack of body on certain songs.

I'm hoping (and DenverW has kind of inferred this) that the HD800 combined with the BHC gives the best of both worlds. Then I start looking into the Auteur and I get totally lost all over again. Now I realize why people buy so many damn headphones.

I'm thinking I'm going to spring for the HD800 (or the 's' variant if I can get a good deal). Eventually, I would like to put together a Mainline as I'd imagine that makes the HD800 sing even more than the BHC.

Before I commit myself to the HD800 and quite my incessant search for the next headphone...should I seriously consider the Auteur?

May 19, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #9,994 of 12,335
May 19, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #9,995 of 12,335
I agree. ZMF dynamics sound insanely good on the BHC.

I hear ya'll, but as I was just saying in a PM I really struggle with decisions. They're actually great as a pair. The hd800 with sdr mod has better definition and just a great high end, and the crack adds some bass and really improves the tone. The auteur has better tone overall, and a better low end. They both sound different on the crack, but both are great in their own way. I wish I was the kind of person who could hear two different headphones and say, "yep, THAT one is for me..."

This is a good problem to have. I'm spoiled for choices, and my wallet is spoiled for cash.

May 19, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #9,996 of 12,335
I hear ya'll, but as I was just saying in a PM I really struggle with decisions. They're actually great as a pair. The hd800 with sdr mod has better definition and just a great high end, and the crack adds some bass and really improves the tone. The auteur has better tone overall, and a better low end. They both sound different on the crack, but both are great in their own way. I wish I was the kind of person who could hear two different headphones and say, "yep, THAT one is for me..."

This is a good problem to have. I'm spoiled for choices, and my wallet is spoiled for cash.
Only one thing to do. Verite.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

May 19, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #9,997 of 12,335
May 19, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #9,999 of 12,335
Stock plate. I cut a bit of the plastic protector off the edges of the chokes so it would fit w/o contact. If I can fashion a cage that looks good and keeps people from touching the chokes they stay up there, but the tab on the back sides will have to be cut, and the front tab screwed down.

It's faux painting with 6 different acrylic paints - the stuff you get at Michael's Craft Store, and a natural sponge and water - instructions on-line. Oh, also clear coat for that 'wet" look. It's my first "marble" one, I've fauxed lots of other things before. The creme colored bits are too thick, and the crossing over the gold is an absolute no no. I'll thin those out

Can't believe the stock plate can hold 2 chokes on top of it...but it's happening...good effort!

Faux painting is art compared to spray painting...will definitely consider it if I were to build another DIY kit.

May 19, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #10,000 of 12,335
I looked at the Auteur after you mentioned it. That's never really been on my radar. It's a beautiful headphone.

As I've been looking into the HD800, there are certainly some good deals on them from time to time (even the HD800s).

I've been doing some A/B tests between listening to my HD650 on my BHC vs. some HE-560 v3 running balanced on a Topping DX7Pro. Depending on the album, the BHC can be a bit too warm or the Topping/HE-560 combo can be a little too light. There is no Goldilocks. I love the greater detail and separation of the HE-560 but I hate the lack of body on certain songs.

I'm hoping (and DenverW has kind of inferred this) that the HD800 combined with the BHC gives the best of both worlds. Then I start looking into the Auteur and I get totally lost all over again. Now I realize why people buy so many damn headphones.

I'm thinking I'm going to spring for the HD800 (or the 's' variant if I can get a good deal). Eventually, I would like to put together a Mainline as I'd imagine that makes the HD800 sing even more than the BHC.

Before I commit myself to the HD800 and quite my incessant search for the next headphone...should I seriously consider the Auteur?
I have the Atticus, which is has the same driver as the Aeolus (if you're looking for open instead of closed). Keep an eye out for either used if you're on a budget. Many can attest and I agree that ZMF and BHC are an ideal pairing.

May 19, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #10,001 of 12,335
Here are a few more pics, I was careless and broke something so another 3-4 day delay. Labor Day is about when the thing will be done.

Used half cherry and half oak to get the finish.

How's that for a piece of marble? Heh...

Nice effect on the top plate with the faux marble when I first saw it I thought you had swirl dipped it. Something I've been planning to try out with a Crack top plate to match a headphone stand I made with a paint swirl dipped finnish.

11124020.jpg
11124147.jpg

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #10,002 of 12,335
Blue velvet pot is going in tonight! I look forward to imagining I hear a hint of a hint of difference!

Edit: Success! That was actually a little more complicated than I expected due to the alps pot not having tabs on the solder points, just little sticks.

Now a strange problem: the alps pot volume knob is longer than the stock tab, which makes the stock volume tab stick up since it doesn't reach the faceplate. Anyone have a suggestion of a volume knob that would work better? Preferably black :)

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #10,003 of 12,335
Blue velvet pot is going in tonight! I look forward to imagining I hear a hint of a hint of difference!

Edit: Success! That was actually a little more complicated than I expected due to the alps pot not having tabs on the solder points, just little sticks.

Now a strange problem: the alps pot volume knob is longer than the stock tab, which makes the stock volume tab stick up since it doesn't reach the faceplate. Anyone have a suggestion of a volume knob that would work better? Preferably black :)

People have said you could hacksaw off 1/2". I haven't done it, I'm going to use a skill saw with a fine metal blade when I do mine.

May 21, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #10,004 of 12,335
People have said you could hacksaw off 1/2". I haven't done it, I'm going to use a skill saw with a fine metal blade when I do mine.

I suppose that’s one solution! I was hoping that there would be a larger knob available somewhere that would still look good :)

May 22, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #10,005 of 12,335

I found these Audio Note knobs fit the alps blue velvet perfectly (25mm height). I have to admit it was hard to justify paying that much for a knob. But they are amazing quality, feel nice and sturdy, and look great on the crack. I went with full gloss, but they come in a variety of finishes too.

2020-02-29 00.48.13.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back