Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Apr 16, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #8,446 of 12,347

I just finished a basic Crack, I have yet to install the Speedball because I wanted to test the basic amp for a bit and make sure all was well before I proceeded. Total build time including some RCA cables about five hours but speedball is bound to add an hour or two. Currently I am using the preamp out from a Valhalla 2 as a source. I may end up using the tube sockets in my custom builds, I am having trouble finding matching octal and nine pin sockets and I already have dimensions for these.
I like the sound of the amp and it certainly has potential but I have not played more than six songs through it yet so it is a little early to form any opinions.

Congrats and enjoy.

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #8,448 of 12,347

I will need to install the speedball one day soon and by next weekend after my second kit arrives I can start experimenting. I did take time to make a few measurements, I trust my builds but it seemed a little silly to take chances.

I need to try the amp with other sources, and eventually other tubes, with a few tweaks I feel I will like the amp more and more.

Apr 16, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #8,449 of 12,347
I will need to install the speedball one day soon and by next weekend after my second kit arrives I can start experimenting. I did take time to make a few measurements, I trust my builds but it seemed a little silly to take chances.

I need to try the amp with other sources, and eventually other tubes, with a few tweaks I feel I will like the amp more and more.
Definitely different tubes the RCA is not real good.

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #8,450 of 12,347
Definitely different tubes the RCA is not real good.

Yeah it will be a work in progress for a while. I have decided on the VU meters I want to use.

Similar dials but the one on the right has the color I was seeking in the back light. They are easy to adjust and set up as long as you have a basic understanding of electronics, some test equipment and are used to working with Chinese instructions.

Listening to the Crack now, the sound is starting to smooth out a bit, I am starting to like it more. I am probably a little too used to solid state and amps like the Valhalla 2 which sounds solid stateish

Apr 16, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #8,451 of 12,347
Yeah it will be a work in progress for a while. I have decided on the VU meters I want to use.

Similar dials but the one on the right has the color I was seeking in the back light. They are easy to adjust and set up as long as you have a basic understanding of electronics, some test equipment and are used to working with Chinese instructions.

Listening to the Crack now, the sound is starting to smooth out a bit, I am starting to like it more. I am probably a little too used to solid state and amps like the Valhalla 2 which sounds solid stateish
Yes the tubes definitely will need a bit of time to warm up and get cooked off and the rest of the system to come to temp and burn in a bit. Some will disagree with burn in but after dealing with the Ether-C's and Yggdrasil there is something to say about it for those two for sure. The meters will be a nice touch I like the look.

Apr 16, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #8,452 of 12,347
Yes the tubes definitely will need a bit of time to warm up and get cooked off and the rest of the system to come to temp and burn in a bit. Some will disagree with burn in but after dealing with the Ether-C's and Yggdrasil there is something to say about it for those two for sure. The meters will be a nice touch I like the look.

I need to get to work on the cabinet design, start cutting copper, and decide if I want to do ladder pots by Dale or go with Alps. A bigger cabinet will certainly help.

I will stick with stock sockets but otherwise everything I originally conceived is doable. 

The bass sounds especially good.

Apr 16, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #8,453 of 12,347

I'am glad that you like the amp but once the upgraditis sits in i feel sorry for your wallet.

Apr 16, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #8,454 of 12,347
I need to get to work on the cabinet design, start cutting copper, and decide if I want to do ladder pots by Dale or go with Alps. A bigger cabinet will certainly help.

I will stick with stock sockets but otherwise everything I originally conceived is doable. 

The bass sounds especially good.
Yes going to do my own cabinet still haven't found anyone to do any resawing or has a big planer. Most will not touch rough cut stuff that I felled myself. I have a few boards that I can make work of my walnut but might have get some new knives for my planer/joiner as I think 6 in's should be tall enough for some big caps and whatever else but there is a nic in it that has about a 1/32 bump that would probably sand out but I'd rather not. I think the contrast of the white sockets on the copper might look good. I know you wanted the Bakelite but it might work anyway. Can't wait to see your creation.

Apr 16, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #8,455 of 12,347
I am fortunate to work in the industry. Some things I can get at a discounted rate or as samples. I already own all major parts for the cabinets so that cost is over.

NOS tubes are another story lol.

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #8,456 of 12,347
Yes going to do my own cabinet still haven't found anyone to do any resawing or has a big planer. Most will not touch rough cut stuff that I felled myself. I have a few boards that I can make work of my walnut but might have get some new knives for my planer/joiner as I think 6 in's should be tall enough for some big caps and whatever else but there is a nic in it that has about a 1/32 bump that would probably sand out but I'd rather not. I think the contrast of the white sockets on the copper might look good. I know you wanted the Bakelite but it might work anyway. Can't wait to see your creation.

You are most kind Buke and I bet you figure out a way to use the walnut. The nine pin style sockets I bought did not have the center conductor like the kit part anyway. Until I received one it was a little tough to figure some things out. There is one on Ebay with a burled walnut cabinet that is fabulous looking and that would have been my second choice. The copper plate I bought was precisely the same size as the original and just a little thicker so if you ever want to go that route I will hook you up with the source. My cabinets will be taller than the originals and a little wider and deeper so I will have room for some changes.

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #8,457 of 12,347
You are most kind Buke and I bet you figure out a way to use the walnut. The nine pin style sockets I bought did not have the center conductor like the kit part anyway. Until I received one it was a little tough to figure some things out. There is one on Ebay with a burled walnut cabinet that is fabulous looking and that would have been my second choice. The copper plate I bought was precisely the same size as the original and just a little thicker so if you ever want to go that route I will hook you up with the source. My cabinets will be taller than the originals and a little wider and deeper so I will have room for some changes.
Yes I will get it figure it out. I also have some Ambrosia Maple that I might make corner blocks rather than mitre joints. I also have a 6080 Tung Sol Chatham that I bought as a pair if you want to try one out. It will definitely make the Crack sound better.

Apr 16, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #8,458 of 12,347
Yes I will get it figure it out. I also have some Ambrosia Maple that I might make corner blocks rather than mitre joints. I also have a 6080 Tung Sol Chatham that I bought as a pair if you want to try one out. It will definitely make the Crack sound better.

I would love to try one out you can ship it to my house or the business address is on our website. 

Apr 16, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #8,459 of 12,347
No offense, but maybe you can take the wood negotiation to a PM. We are all interested in your crack, Paladin79. but maybe a few less public details :)

Apr 16, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #8,460 of 12,347
  No offense, but maybe you can take the wood negotiation to a PM. We are all interested in your crack, Paladin79. but maybe a few less public details :)

You might want to reread Allan, we were talking about tubes. No one was negotiating for wood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back