Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Mar 19, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #8,251 of 12,347
  It's a total of 3.5A rating indeed for the power transformer.
The relative currents don't really matter. 
A 6080 tube runs @ 2.5A heater current. 
So that's 1A to spare for the driver tube (the driver tubes for Crack i know of don't exceed 0.8A).

Using 2 6BL7's (6BX7) in parallel (2x 1.5A) you can use up to 0.5A for the driver tube.

i guess this adapter isnt wired right it doesnt work                                                                                                                                  

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #8,253 of 12,347

​Looks like we'll both be building our Cracks at the same time :wink:

Did you get the Speedball as well?

Absolutely, and the badge, and the hat lol. I am doing a lot of customizing on it, I have already thought it all through and have some things on the way for it. The circuitry will be similar to the original design but the outside appearance is going to be quite unique. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #8,256 of 12,347
I do have a plan in mind to modify some existing headphones so they will be 250 ohms and work well with the Crack. Hopefully I will have enough variables so I can adjust the sound for my liking. Final cost, $50 plus labor. I hope I can make the modifications in four hours or less but right now it is a little tough to quantify.  When finished the headphones will look like they belong with the Crack amp I will be building.

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #8,257 of 12,347

Ok I received my 1/8 inch copper plate. It has a few scratches that will buff out but you can probably tell by the finger prints it is pure copper, not coated, precisely 6 inches by 10 inches. It weighs 2.6 lbs. This is not copper plated aluminum lol. Also it is freaking rigid, there is no problem with it supporting two tubes, and a small transformer once cut. Some of the scratches are a little deep for my liking but I plan to add a patina any way but it is certainly thick enough to buff down to a lustrous copper sheen if I wished. Then try to picture it with a bluish green patina against some dark oak (hopefully quartered oak, or even walnut.) I may strive for copper rivets holding brown bakelite tube sockets, attention to detail is important. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #8,258 of 12,347

Ok I received my 1/8 inch copper plate. It has a few scratches that will buff out but you can probably tell by the finger prints it is pure copper, not coated, precisely 6 inches by 10 inches. It weighs 2.6 lbs. This is not copper plated aluminum lol. Also it is freaking rigid, there is no problem with it supporting two tubes, and a small transformer once cut. Some of the scratches are a little deep for my liking but I plan to add a patina any way but it is certainly thick enough to buff down to a lustrous copper sheen if I wished. Then try to picture it with a bluish green patina against some dark oak (hopefully quartered oak, or even walnut.) I may strive for copper rivets holding brown bakelite tube sockets, attention to detail is important. 
With patina that will be bitchin.

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #8,259 of 12,347
With patina that will be bitchin.

it will hide some scratches too, and with a little chemistry the finish will only take one day and then I will clear coat it. I was definitely wrong in worrying about this bending.

At least I know now if I use this thickness copper plate on the front and back of the amp, it will support switches, jacks, potentiometers, ac outlets and VU meters once I get my patterns figured out.

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #8,260 of 12,347
My new tube for my CRACK i don't know tho if this Raytheon 6832 Sub miniature tube has been used with CRACK by someone else before me Anyway it sound darn good to my ears i just need to make a proper adapter to be safe so i don't touch any of those small exposed leads for now here it is.

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #8,261 of 12,347
You are a brave soul.

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #8,262 of 12,347
I guess changing the socket was out of the question for someone. Nice tube height though.

Mar 21, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #8,264 of 12,347

Users who are viewing this thread

Back