Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Sep 16, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #7,336 of 12,347
  Looks like they charge $250 for the service. Not worth it at that point. 

It's not all that unreasonable, considering how many hours it takes to build.

Sep 16, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #7,337 of 12,347

Agreed. Don't believe it's unreasonable at all, just don't think it's worth it considering other pre-built options (that look better) in the same price range. I'll poach the FS forums for one of these maybe.

Sep 17, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #7,339 of 12,347
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
Akwpa-Skj2.jpg

True!

Sep 17, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #7,340 of 12,347
Any local builder / trouble shooters in the LA area? I'm getting a low hum noise once I installed the speedball. I probably did something wrong. I keep saying I'd take the time to trouble shoot, but my schedule is only getting worse with school. If someone can point me to a reputable local builder, I'd be extremely grateful. 

Sep 17, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #7,341 of 12,347
Check if any of your input to speedball connect to ground. If yes maybe you accidentally connect the audio path with ground somewhere

Sep 17, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #7,342 of 12,347
  Any local builder / trouble shooters in the LA area? I'm getting a low hum noise once I installed the speedball. I probably did something wrong. I keep saying I'd take the time to trouble shoot, but my schedule is only getting worse with school. If someone can point me to a reputable local builder, I'd be extremely grateful. 

Have you any other 12au7 to try as with the speedball I found my Crack to be a more sensitive in picking up noise from my12au7's. I had a handful for rolling that where all nice and quiet pre Speedball. After its installation a couple of them now had noticeable low level noise present which would disappear when a different tube was used.  

Sep 18, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #7,343 of 12,347
I recently obtained (5) 5963 NOS tubes that have USN CHS 5963 Made in USA Sylvania with the number 902 vertically off to the right side of the tube lettering with a smaller "vdh" lettering beneath it. 

I have several other 5963's but they are not the USN type...

I have been going thru the 5 USN's and have many other 12AU7 variants and hae found then very good tubes and sound really great.

Out of the five tubes there is one that stands out amongst the others, dramatically!

Its dramatically better all around like its on steroids! Very three dimensional and transparent....one of my tests of a good tube setup is listening t it over several days and does it have that "subjective" wow experience each time or does it become a normal sounding tube?

This one USN 5963 is one that is exceptional!!

I need to get a tube tester to see if there is any correlation to this one tube to the other 4 in the group?

Alex

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #7,344 of 12,347
Originally Posted by adydula /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[........]

This one USN 5963 is one that is exceptional!!

I need to get a tube tester to see if there is any correlation to this one tube to the other 4 in the group?

Alex

Alex - interesting stuff.  Just goes to show how much variation there can be not just across different brands, years and constructions but also even within a cross-section of tubes that might appear to be the same! 

Does the best one look exactly the same internally and did the seller say they were all tested at NOS levels?

Testing them yourself would be interesting.  I wonder if the best one is just very well balanced and would test very well so produce better sonic results, or perhaps the others are on their last legs ?   

I'd love to have a tube-tester and may think about it one day.  I think it would be a lot of fun learning to get to grips with it as well as pretty useful for buying and re-selling tubes.  Unfortunately most that are available seem as though they would require some restoration work and calibration which would most likely be beyond me but i'm sure not a problem with your electrical know-how. 

Anyway, keep us posted with your findings on the super-tube! 

Jeb

Sep 19, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #7,345 of 12,347
Is there any modifications to adjust the gain? With an HD800 I can't get above 9 o' clock on the volume pot, and that's with crazy 5.1 SACD ridiculous dynamic range stuff. Most of my music just barely gets out of the zone where the channel imbalance is.

I'm also wondering if it's my tubes. I'm not sure if a 6AS7G has more gain than the stock 6080.

Nvm just found a solution. 

Sep 20, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #7,346 of 12,347
Damn,I was about to reply and tell you to just upgrade your volume pot with an Alps Blue velvet pot, apparently it sorts out the channel imbalance and it is pretty cheap. (20 dollars)
But if you found a solution I am glad.

Sep 20, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #7,347 of 12,347
A couple of 30 cent resistors soldered in line with rca inputs used to be in the Crack sticky section on the BHF as a option to cure the channel imbalance and have greater range on the stock pot this has since changed to the method below taken from the Crack FAQ section

3.  I can barely turn my Crack up at all before it's far too loud, what do I do?

Disconnect the white wire at the pot that originated at the left RCA jack.  Install a 75K resistor between this wire and where it connected on the pot. 
Repeat this step for the red wire coming from the right RCA jack.
Attach and solder one 33K resistor between each outer pair of lugs on each level of the volume pot.
Resistor wattage is unimportant, 1/10 Watt or greater will work nicely.

Sep 20, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #7,348 of 12,347
I did that mod, and for the most part it works ok...Some music depending on the replay gain still dont allow for much volume know travel or movement....you can add another set of like resistors in parallel to the ones mentioned in the mod (the 33K's). to make this even better.

on the super tube...I looked at all 5 of them in the lot and they are pretty much the same in construction, size and shape, color of internals....so thats not it.

Ha..it still could be a subjective reaction here at the listeners brain!! (mine...lol).

Here are the ratings from the seller:
dont have data for tube 5 in the lot.

Up for consideration is 5PC's of NOS CHS 5963 from a bulk pack with D getters and long plates...basically identical to Sylvania Gold Brand Vacuum Tubes .
typical New on my Hickok 6000 tester is 2200/2200
tube 1.........2600/2300
tube 2.........2200/2100
tube 3.........2650/2750
tube 4.........2600/2400

Alex

Oct 10, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #7,349 of 12,347
I just have to say if anyone is on the fence about the Speedball upgrade, I think it's an absolute must. The stock Crack sounds good, but the Speedball makes my music thoroughly engaging -- bass is solid and palpable, highs shiver the spine with elegance, the music just grabs you now with meaty and fierce yet graceful paws ...hahaha, all I know is it's 2:08am and I can't stop listening :)

Oct 10, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #7,350 of 12,347
 I had my modded crack for a year i thought i love the sound of it until few weeks ago my site office was hit by a lighting zapping everything plug into the AC outlet including my modded crack.
Now that i have a stock crack for me i prefer the stock sound i do not missed the sound of my modded crack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back