Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Aug 17, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #7,247 of 12,346

Did you try the suggestion that I posted three months ago in this thread?

If you mean the suggestion regarding the jumper on the bottlehead forum then yes I did and sadly to no avail! I've been busy with work so not tried anything since the jumper suggestion three months ago but now I have a bit more time I am re-picking up the project.My worry is that the issue was there pre-speedball install and I made it worse doing the upgrade. It had been a while since I had listened to the amp and foolishly went straight in with the speedball so it's making it more difficult to pin point the issue.

Aug 17, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #7,248 of 12,346
What size is the 9 pin socket? I don't have my crack w/ me to measure right now.

I have options on eBay for 7/8, 3/4, and 1 1/8 in. With top or bottom style mounting. What should I choose? Thanks

Edit: Nvm it's 7/8

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #7,249 of 12,346
  If you mean the suggestion regarding the jumper on the bottlehead forum then yes I did and sadly to no avail! I've been busy with work so not tried anything since the jumper suggestion three months ago but now I have a bit more time I am re-picking up the project.My worry is that the issue was there pre-speedball install and I made it worse doing the upgrade. It had been a while since I had listened to the amp and foolishly went straight in with the speedball so it's making it more difficult to pin point the issue.

Well, split the amp into block components. 

You can pull out the larger C4S board and with heat sinks and replace the 3K cathode resistors (ref: page 18 of the speedball manual). Reinstalled as per page 32 in the Crack manual.  This will effectively split the problem your speedballl install in half. Then if the issue persists, remove the speedball plate load C4S boards and replace the plate load resistors.

Then if the issue persists post photos at the BH forum at that point and you'll catch PB's notice. That should also help to reveal a wiring issue if there is one.

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #7,250 of 12,346
    .. but it aint super massive the width and length increased by 1 inch 

So those herbal supplements have been working eh?
biggrin.gif

But seriously, nice build. The mirror finish must have taken forever... do you ever get paranoid about smudging it?

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #7,251 of 12,346

So those herbal supplements have been working eh?
biggrin.gif

But seriously, nice build. The mirror finish must have taken forever... do you ever get paranoid about smudging it?

yeah those herb did help ... now all the chicks love it ... haha

The mirror finish took me a day to get it. Just good old sanding paper and finish off with some metal polish ... can recommend if you ever need ... haha

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #7,252 of 12,346
What brand polish did you use? And did you do it all by hand? Did you put a clearcoat on top?

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #7,253 of 12,346
  What brand polish did you use? And did you do it all by hand? Did you put a clearcoat on top?

I used this polish http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-05106-Billet-Metal-Polish/dp/B000COU7LG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1439870645&sr=8-3&keywords=mothers+metal+polish. Before I started the build i tried out various bands to see what was good and this is by far the best in my opinion. All done by hand but i believe with a power tool you can definitely get the shine much faster.

And no clearcoat ... Kinda worry that I may not do a good job for the clear coat that may lead to bubbles or uneven surface so left it clean ... but then the metal polish protects the metal quite well.The plate was the first thing I did and its been 2 months and still good and shiny.

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #7,254 of 12,346
Interesting. I've preferred Meguiars over Mothers for their wax products, but have never tried the metal polishes.

Aug 18, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #7,255 of 12,346
  Hey guys. Need a little help.

When I first received my pre-build Crack the bell end was slightly corrosive. Don't ask me why or how. I took it off to sandpaper it with non too good result so I recently bought a nice black replacement. What I remember from taking the bell end off and especially trying to screw it back on, is that it was SUPER tedious task that I'd never repeat in my life! Well, it must be done. The solution may seem obvious to some of you but what is the easiest way to replace the bell end for an unexperienced DIY-er? Special attention anywhere?

I did a repaint of the bell end a cuple of weeks ago. It wasn´t that bad because the pwer transformer and the terminals around it were sort of held in place by all the wires. For reassembly I just held the chassis plate vertically and screwed the screws into the terminals. For the nuts I used a needle nose plier because there is not enough room to get to them with a wrench.

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #7,256 of 12,346
Hey guys, I just want to know if I buy a pre-assembled Bottlehead crack, can I later add the Speedball upgrade & the S.E.X. upgrade?

What exactly are the Speedball & S.E.X. upgrades?

Are they relatively simple to add, like they are just one extra piece that you can quickly solder to the board & that's it?

Or would they be much harder & longer to add. Like having many new parts to solder, including un-soldering some part of the original board & then re-soldering them to accommodate the new upgrades?

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #7,257 of 12,346
Hey guys, I just want to know if I buy a pre-assembled Bottlehead crack, can I later add the Speedball upgrade & the S.E.X. upgrade?

Are they relatively simple to add, like they are just one extra piece that you can quickly solder to the board & that's it?

Or would they be much harder & longer to add. Like having many new parts to solder, including un-soldering some part of the original board & then re-soldering them to accommodate the new upgrades?
The S.E.X. is a different kit altogether. Speedball is relatively easy to install

Aug 22, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #7,258 of 12,346
Why don't you go over to the Bottlehead site and ask the experts at Bottlehead about details of the Crack and their product line. They have a great forum and many people that have built cracks and added speedball upgrades etch...

Alex

Aug 22, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #7,259 of 12,346

There are 3 small PCBs that you will have to stuff with parts, roughly 17-20 parts in total counting off the top of my head. There are two 10W sand cast resistors that will have to removed and a PCB wired in its place. Lastly there are two smaller resistors that will need to be removed to be replaced with the last 2 remaining PCBs. 

So it's more like your last statement, but realize there is no board in the original. Everything is point to point wiring with tube sockets and terminal strips. If you head to the bottlehead forum there is a gallery post where you can see lots of pics.

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #7,260 of 12,346

There are 3 small PCBs that you will have to stuff with parts, roughly 17-20 parts in total counting off the top of my head. There are two 10W sand cast resistors that will have to removed and a PCB wired in its place. Lastly there are two smaller resistors that will need to be removed to be replaced with the last 2 remaining PCBs. 

So it's more like your last statement, but realize there is no board in the original. Everything is point to point wiring with tube sockets and terminal strips. If you head to the bottlehead forum there is a gallery post where you can see lots of pics.

That's just for the speedball upgrade right?

I would feel at ease if there was a simple video of it being added with instructions & tips.
I seen a few videos for assembling the Bottlehead, but nothing on the speedball upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back