Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Aug 14, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #7,231 of 12,347
  Hi guys,

I recently tried installing the speedball upgrade to my bottlehead crack but now the damn thing wont work at all. I have asked on the bottlehead forum and they provided tons of help but I just can't seem to fix it. Is there anyone UK based on the forum that would be willing to repair it for me and getting it into full working order? I would of course be willing to pay.

Can you post a link to the trouble shooting advice already given to you on the BHF? 

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #7,232 of 12,347
  Hey guys. Need a little help.

When I first received my pre-build Crack the bell end was slightly corrosive. Don't ask me why or how. I took it off to sandpaper it with non too good result so I recently bought a nice black replacement. What I remember from taking the bell end off and especially trying to screw it back on, is that it was SUPER tedious task that I'd never repeat in my life! Well, it must be done. The solution may seem obvious to some of you but what is the easiest way to replace the bell end for an unexperienced DIY-er? Special attention anywhere?

I had the same issue - I just spent some time masking the whole unit and gave it a few coats with a spray bomb. Sorry, haven't removed the original....

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #7,233 of 12,347
How is the market for built/used Cracks with tube complements including a pair of lightly used 5998's? I love the one that I built, but I just don't get the chance to listen to it anymore......
frown.gif

Original construction post here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/476650/crack-bottlehead-otl/435#post_7149721  

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #7,234 of 12,347
  How is the market for built/used Cracks with tube complements including a pair of lightly used 5998's? I love the one that I built, but I just don't get the chance to listen to it anymore......
frown.gif

Original construction post here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/476650/crack-bottlehead-otl/435#post_7149721  

There's always a market for pre-builts. You can list it on CAM or right here in the classifieds.

Aug 16, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #7,238 of 12,347

When I first received my pre-build Crack the bell end was slightly corrosive. Don't ask me why or how. I took it off to sandpaper it with non too good result so I recently bought a nice black replacement. What I remember from taking the bell end off and especially trying to screw it back on, is that it was SUPER tedious task that I'd never repeat in my life! Well, it must be done. The solution may seem obvious to some of you but what is the easiest way to replace the bell end for an unexperienced DIY-er? Special attention anywhere?

I had the same issue - I just spent some time masking the whole unit and gave it a few coats with a spray bomb. Sorry, haven't removed the original....

@JamieMcC

You have build a dozen Jamie. Anything you can think of? 

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #7,240 of 12,347

That's a tricky job to be sure. I've done it once, but there's no easy way that I've found. From memory it required propping (securely) the chassis on its side and unscrewing one screw at a time with a screwdriver and pliers (for the nuts / terminal strips). The biggest challenge is catching and keeping the star washers. All of the terminal strips, etc. will hold their position due to the wiring so that helps.

Sorry I don't have an easy answer.

Aug 17, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #7,242 of 12,347
  Sorry but am clean out of ideas for that. Personally I would rather try and refinish a bell end while its in situ rather than face having to take it all apart.

That's a tricky job to be sure. I've done it once, but there's no easy way that I've found. From memory it required propping (securely) the chassis on its side and unscrewing one screw at a time with a screwdriver and pliers (for the nuts / terminal strips). The biggest challenge is catching and keeping the star washers. All of the terminal strips, etc. will hold their position due to the wiring so that helps.

Sorry I don't have an easy answer.

Thanks for the response Jamie and Loquah. Looks like it's going to be a few hail marys before a just-do-it then. I'll consult an astrologer for the best time :wink:

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #7,245 of 12,347
  Hi guys,

I recently tried installing the speedball upgrade to my bottlehead crack but now the damn thing wont work at all. I have asked on the bottlehead forum and they provided tons of help but I just can't seem to fix it. Is there anyone UK based on the forum that would be willing to repair it for me and getting it into full working order? I would of course be willing to pay.

Did you try the suggestion that I posted three months ago in this thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back