Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jul 7, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #7,096 of 12,335
Ha, ironically enough I got a tube in the mail a few hours ago that might unseat my Amperex as the reigning champion :)

Parts Connexion had a deal on Pearl cryo treated RCA 12au7's and I picked one up.... Holy cow this thing is excellent sounding! Mids galore, clarity, excellent bass and imaging:

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #7,097 of 12,335
Yeah for more mid-centric smooth vocals I enjoy the Tungsram ECC82. But for detail and sparkle those RCA clear-tops are hard to beat at the price. Hope you enjoy! Also, keep an eye out as sometimes bargains come along. Some prices are definitely on the premium side of reasonable, but occasionally a gem passes by.

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #7,098 of 12,335
  Ha, ironically enough I got a tube in the mail a few hours ago that might unseat my Amperex as the reigning champion :)

Parts Connexion had a deal on Pearl cryo treated RCA 12au7's and I picked one up.... Holy cow this thing is excellent sounding! Mids galore, clarity, excellent bass and imaging:

That's a beaut - nice score.

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #7,099 of 12,335
Hey Crack owners and enthusiasts - great thread!

Quick one for you guys - 

I might have an opportunity to buy a pre-built Crack w/speedball for cheap.

Should I do it?

These are my primary-use cans:

1. Audeze LCD 2.2
  2. Denon D5000
  3. Grado SR80i

It looks like none of those are well suited - at least on paper.

Any thoughts? 

Jul 8, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #7,102 of 12,335

Quick one for you guys - 

Should I do it?

1. Audeze LCD 2.2
  2. Denon D5000
  3. Grado SR80i

Any thoughts? 

I wouldnt if there are no high impedance cans in your future.  they wouldnt do very well with what you have listed.

Jul 8, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #7,104 of 12,335

Great orange peel finish on the metal plate. How did you achieve this?

Jul 8, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #7,106 of 12,335
Great orange peel finish on the metal plate. How did you achieve this?

Yup! Hammered finish spraypaint.

I used 2 coats of primer on the aluminum plate and bell first, then literally about 12-15 coats of black hammered spray paint. Give it 3 minutes in between coats and you get a nice textured finish without any nasty blotches.

Jul 9, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #7,108 of 12,335
I've sprayed Hammerite on many of our panels over the years. Prep is everything, get the panel really clean with formula 409 or lacquer thinner before spraying. Hammer finish paint is a product that doesn't really require a primer, and I usually spray just a couple of mist coats and then one medium heavy coat a minute or two apart. A bunch of light coats will end up more textured than hammered. It's also very important to give it time to polymerize. I suggest waiting at least a week before mounting any hardware to avoid tearing the finish.

Jul 9, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #7,109 of 12,335
I just added the 4 extra resistors in the Crack FAQ on the BH site to allow for more rotation of the volume pot....2- 75K's and 2 - 33K's....works wonderfully!

This is a really nice amp.....and I finally finished the 4th coat of Mission Oak Minwax and its really looking nice.....

Alex

Jul 9, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #7,110 of 12,335

Quick one for you guys - 

Should I do it?

1. Audeze LCD 2.2
  2. Denon D5000
  3. Grado SR80i

Any thoughts? 

Yes. S.E.X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back