Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jun 27, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #7,068 of 12,335
Hi guys, just wondering if the Bottlehead Power Cord works at 220v/50hz ? I'm looking to buy it but not sure if it could work in my country.

The power cord doesnt care for the voltage. But your crack does. If you have a 110V version under no circumstances shoukd you connect it to 220V.

Cheers,
K

Jun 27, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #7,070 of 12,335
I would check on the bottlehead forum to find out the voltage rating of the wire they use it looks the same as in the crack from the pictures on the forum.

For a UK availiable option you will find the belden 19364 cable has long been a very popular choice for diy power cable builders MCRU do a number of power lead kits which I use for my Bottlehead amps.  They do some differing length options but here is a link to the one I am using.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150963875838?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Jun 30, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #7,071 of 12,335
Hi guys,
I bought my Crack along with a Tung-sol 5998 last year. Unfortunately, my 5998 got some microphonics ("ting ting" sound) as I typed or touched the Crack and I didn't have a decent DAC/source back then, so I couldn't have any critical judgement on the sound of Tung-sol 5998. Then I was fortunate and bought a Bendix 6080WB slotted graphite plate power tube and the Bendix was totally dead silent. I sold my 5998 right after that (just because of the microphonics).

Time goes by, I've upgraded the DAC/source and my cable and still been using the Bendix since I first bought it. I'm very happy with the Bendix, but the curiosity has grown up in me and the fact that the 5998s have got excellent feedback really make me want to try a Tung-sol 5998 again.

But the thing is, in my country, there are not many audiophiles so I can't sell either the Bendix and 5998 easily if I don't like them. And my budget can only allow me to keep one premium power tube for my Crack, if I order a 5998, I have to sell my Bendix, not to mention it'll take a decent time. So I have to think and choose carefully.

Has anyone had a chance to own both the 5998 and the Bendix and could directly compare or had a A/B testing them? If so, how would you compare the two tubes?

I'm using HD650, but planning to get a HD800 in the near future. My DAC is NAD M51, fed by Audio GD DI-2014. My favorite genres are mainly vocals, jazz, instrumental and country (slow music), I hardly listen to strong or fast music.

Sorry for any grammar mistakes or misleading. English is not my native language and I'm not so good at English so I just tried my best to describe my situation.

Thank you very much. I'm really looking forward to your feedback. All the helps will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Kratos.

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #7,073 of 12,335
My beloved 5998 has developed a few issues of late as well. That said, quite enjoying my bottom-getter Winged-C. Doesn't have quite the detail of the 5998 - a bit warmer too, but a very nice sound. Quite musical. FWIW I found the Bendix a little too warm for my liking, but for those who crave tubiness it was quite nice. Really smoothed sax and lesser recordings.

Nice offer there moriez, good on ya 
beerchug.gif

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #7,074 of 12,335
I built the Bottlehead Crack a few weeks ago. For the first tests I only had the Sennheiser HD 800 available. in my opinion the crack without the speedball upgrade is not a good combination with the HD 800. It lost way too much precision and detail. Especially the treble was lacking too much. The sound was still good but more on the level of cheaper headphones. The speedball upgrade was quite a big improvement. The amp became faster and more detailed. I am using an op amp modded Asus Xonar One as DAC and the built in amp as comparison. Compared to the Asus amp the Bottlehead is more bass and mid focused, it has a warmer and fuller sound. The soundstage and detail are still better on the Asus amp. Right now there is no clear winner between the two, it comes down to preference.

Is someone using the crack with the HD 800 and has some good tube combinations for more soundstage and detail? As far as I have seen a good upgrade would be getting the 5998 but they are pretty hard to get and quite expensive.

Jul 5, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #7,076 of 12,335
  ^ Same offer for you Whit3Rav3n. Because.. why not? First come, first served.

A very generous offer Whit3Rav3n. The 5998 has a lot of detail. Try seek out a CIFTE (Mazda) 12AU7 to pair it with. My favourite combo so far for detail and a livelier sound. Some of the stock 6080's are a little warm/dull.

Jul 5, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #7,077 of 12,335
Just finished my Crack after 7 hours of DIY fun...it was a real easy kit and I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to try a venture into the DIY area.

All resistances and voltages were spot on....

Fired it up from Flacs on a pc to an ODAC .....with my Beyer DT90s.

Result: Marriage made in heaven....absoultely superb with these 250 ohm cans.

Very musical and details and soundstage!!

I have a speedball kit but am thinking of just enjoying it the way it is!!! Its that good!.

All the best
Alex

Jul 5, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #7,079 of 12,335
Yup, I got the $20 offering the other day, just waiting on it to be shipped etc....

I cant believe how good this simple amp is with the DT90's....just really awesome sound-stage and depth/detail....wow,

I wish I knew what the actual tubes are, sent BH a note asking them etc..

Just have to finish the case, its glued and drying...

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back