Crack;Bottlehead OTL
May 26, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #5,132 of 12,347
A new amp from Bottlehead should be called The Bomb. When I ordered my Crack it got stuck at customs. They asked me what it is, they sounded worried like it was a kit to make a bomb. I told them its a Crack amp. Would be interesting if I said The Bomb amp. :D

May 28, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #5,135 of 12,347
I really agree with this.  I think a lot of what is talked about when it comes to small differences like this are really only apparent when taking the time to savor the music; at least for me.

I would argue investing in your gear with both money and know how will provide you the option of focusing when you want to. Or, not suffer so much disappointment when you do.

May 29, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #5,136 of 12,347
If anyone is UK/EU based on a budget and after a nice pair of 100uf film output caps for their Crack I have just listed two used but perfectly working 100uf 400V DC Solen film capacitors. I found them very similar sounding to the JFX premium films and as such don't require two different makes of capacitors that sound so similar in my growing pile so the Solens are now up for grabs if anyone is interested..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solen-100uf-400V-DC-Film-Capacitor-x-2-/121352137226?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item1c4126aa0a

May 29, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #5,137 of 12,347
GEC Brown Base impressions:

From 45 minutes' listening, at 6am, this is a gorgeous thing. It's warmer and richer - tubier, even - than the 5998 but the detail is all there. It seems to bring the focus back to the mids, which really suits the HD650s. Also, the bass thumps like the stock Crack with a Mullard 6080 but with the extension and tightness of...well, there's no comparison with anything I've heard.

I've got to get to work now but looking forward to some extended listening this evening.

Edit: For example, Aphex Twin - Flim. There's a whole other level of richness to the synth decay which has never come through before. Boards of Canada...crikey.

Now you touching down on some of my genres.. Seems the brown base is worth the price then. Can it even be found these days?

May 29, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #5,139 of 12,347
Now you touching down on some of my genres.. Seems the brown base is worth the price then. Can it even be found these days?

I just got a curved brown base Osram in the mail today and holy sh!t the tube is amazing! I don't plan to ever use the 5998 ever again 
evil_smiley.gif

May 29, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #5,140 of 12,347
Reality check: unless you got a screamin' deal, a GEC brown base is now typically more than 1/6 the price of a mainline.  "Worth the price" is highly subjective.  I like my hotrodded crack with my GEC quite a lot.  I also quite like my 5998's, my 7802 and several of my mil spec 6080's in the power tube slot.  As good as all of these tube complements sound, none of them put the crack in the same league with the mainline (that's with hd800's, hd650's, dt880's - to say nothing of low impedance phones).

For context, in the old days, when skylab reigned supreme on head-fi as the most prolific and venerated reviewer, he advocated the GEC's as the best 6as7/6080 variant.  When they climbed north of $150 a pop, he urged head-fiers to look elsewhere.  Not trying to crap on what is definitely a very nice tube, but for those of you who haven't picked one up, don't feel bad or like you're seriously missing out and need to sell plasma, your wife etc. to get your hands on this tube.  IMO, as a GEC owner, your money is better spent as a good chunk of a mainline, the upcoming bh dac, or some other serious gear upgrade.

/FlameSuitOn!  

May 30, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #5,141 of 12,347
  Reality check: unless you got a screamin' deal, a GEC brown base is now typically more than 1/6 the price of a mainline.  "Worth the price" is highly subjective.  I like my hotrodded crack with my GEC quite a lot.  I also quite like my 5998's, my 7802 and several of my mil spec 6080's in the power tube slot.  As good as all of these tube complements sound, none of them put the crack in the same league with the mainline (that's with hd800's, hd650's, dt880's - to say nothing of low impedance phones).

For context, in the old days, when skylab reigned supreme on head-fi as the most prolific and venerated reviewer, he advocated the GEC's as the best 6as7/6080 variant.  When they climbed north of $150 a pop, he urged head-fiers to look elsewhere.  Not trying to crap on what is definitely a very nice tube, but for those of you who haven't picked one up, don't feel bad or like you're seriously missing out and need to sell plasma, your wife etc. to get your hands on this tube.  IMO, as a GEC owner, your money is better spent as a good chunk of a mainline, the upcoming bh dac, or some other serious gear upgrade.

/FlameSuitOn!  

LOL. No need for the flame suit I think
smily_headphones1.gif

I completely agree that the brown base 6AS7s are great, but they are an incremental upgrade, not a huge leap. In the Crack I recently built for a friend, I tried his Russian 5998 equivalents that he bought for about $10 each and they were marvellous. They had less warmth than a 6AS7 (probably because they are basically a 5998), but I would be completely happy with something like that and an extra $150 in my pocket to buy a nice 12AU7 / E80CC or some output caps.

If money is no issue, sure, buy a brown base because they are a flat-out awesome tube, but I agree with skeptic that if you're looking to maximise bang for buck, don't worry about the brown base and save your pennies to spend on other Crack upgrades (attenuator, caps, etc.) or to buy a Mainline for the express lane to audio nirvana.
tongue_smile.gif

May 30, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #5,143 of 12,347
Guess us guys in the UK are lucky as the GEC 6as7g is more common on our shores than the TS 5998 and can often be found for the same prices or less than the 5998 (a rarer tube here) goes for.  $65-$85 is not uncommon even for the curved based.

May 30, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #5,145 of 12,347
The Russians are pretty neat.

The effect of bypassing with the K71-7 Polystyrenes was quiet pronounced and initially I was like WOW however I soon realised the presentation was quiet fatiguing to listen to with my T1's and a hour or so was all I could handle. 

They actually worked much better with HD650's and for the couple of pound they cost would be well worth a try for anyone who predominately uses the Senns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back