Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Feb 22, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #3,826 of 12,347
  Short update on the Jantzen Superior Z

I am glad I gave the Jantzens some time to burn in they have defiantly improved. The very annoying sibilance that was initial prevalent (testing with my most prevalent recordings for it)has noticeably diminish.

The sound continued to improve across the spectrum and with it a shift in the equilibrium appearing with the balance between liquidity and authority. The Jantzen signature is more dominant and overriding.  Super Resolution and fast transients spacious stage override.

Resolution, on some uber fast Spanish guitar pieces is astonishing not only able to hear notes as normal but also the attack of the plectrum hitting the strings on each strum behind the notes quiet amazing considering the speed.

With further listening and burn this combination for me has swung to far to the clinical side with its authority and dominance at the expense of musicality.
The softness and naturalness of texture in timbre and tones which beguiled is being drowned out.  I removed the Jantzens from this combination so I could re-reference the sound. I will try them again later with some pio caps and see if it’s a more pleasing combination. The Jantzens are certainly very good caps and I think many would like what they bring to the table.

A couple of progress pics.

Brilliant write-up Jamie!

Feb 22, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #3,827 of 12,347
  wow ..you taking this to another level ,it looks crazy...
  my head is spinning 
basshead.gif

P.S. I just received my pre-build (with speedball upgrade) unit today and was wondering  if I could use any of this tubes (sorry I just can't get on the Bottlehead Forum)

Hi here is the list you are after from the Bottlehead Forum. Enjoy your build its a great sounding amp as you will soon find out!
I am just having fun experimenting rolling caps instead of tubes, I doubt there is much difference in cost at the end of the day.Those silver and green ones are about the same price as a cup of coffee each and are Russian military surplus.

DROP-IN EQUIVALENTS

Input Tubes (Original: 12AU7)

12AU7(A)(WA)
ECC186
ECC82
ECC802(S)
E8025
E82CC
CV4003
CV4122
CV491
5814(A)
6189(W)(WA)
6680 (WL6680)
5963 (computer version of 12AU7)

Sort-of-Drop-In (but not equivalent - for best results, replace plate resistors with Speedball boards)

E80CC
12BH7

Brilliant write-up Jamie!

Lachlan cheers
beerchug.gif
 I am loving this latest combination, going to run them in for week of two now.

There is a teaser of sorts on the orgy of caps bb in my quote of Jon L

http://www.head-fi.org/t/284863/orgy-of-capacitors-the-cap-thread/405#post_10298191

Feb 22, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #3,828 of 12,347
I have just ordered the crack + speedball for my hd600. Will have to sell my um pro 50 to fund this purchase so I hope that it won't let me down :)

Is the current shipping lead time a month from the point of order?

Feb 22, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #3,829 of 12,347
I have just ordered the crack + speedball for my hd600. Will have to sell my um pro 50 to fund this purchase so I hope that it won't let me down
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't help you with shipping times, but I can tell you that the Crack+SB+HD600 is an outstanding combination.  It's a fun, lively, 'forget the specs and listen to the music'  setup.  Enjoy it: it really is as good as everyone says it is 
L3000.gif

Feb 22, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #3,830 of 12,347
I have just ordered the crack + speedball for my hd600. Will have to sell my um pro 50 to fund this purchase so I hope that it won't let me down
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm at four weeks tomorrow. Doc B chimed in a few pages ago and said to look for kits to go out next week, so hopefully I'll be in that group. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #3,831 of 12,347

I can't help you with shipping times, but I can tell you that the Crack+SB+HD600 is an outstanding combination.  It's a fun, lively, 'forget the specs and listen to the music'  setup.  Enjoy it: it really is as good as everyone says it is 
L3000.gif

Nice to hear that! Now I just need to get past the soldering stage. I did dropped Doc B and Queen some questions but have yet to hear from them. Hope that they can answer my questions soon!

I'm at four weeks tomorrow. Doc B chimed in a few pages ago and said to look for kits to go out next week, so hopefully I'll be in that group. 
biggrin.gif

I hope that my waiting time will not exceed 4 weeks, as international shipping will require another 2-3 weeks >_<

Feb 23, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #3,832 of 12,347
I think that there is something wrong with Bottlehead's e-mail domain. My e-mail can't seem to get through. Might be related to the recent website revamp?

I am worried that Doc B didn't receive my order details.

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #3,834 of 12,347
  I think that there is something wrong with Bottlehead's e-mail domain. My e-mail can't seem to get through. Might be related to the recent website revamp?

I am worried that Doc B didn't receive my order details.

I did notice this posted by Doc on the forum

"The new shopping cart is working fine, but doesn't quite have its final appearance. The one thing that may throw some folks off is that even though orders are going through fine (and thank you for those orders!) there is - temporarily - no final confirmation page when your order is complete. We needed the website to be operational before the new style sheets can be loaded that include that page. When those are uploaded early next week the cart will have a bit more finished appearance."

If still concerned try emailing in a few days time, they might have some of the bugs sorted later in the week.

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #3,835 of 12,347
How does Crack pair with Dt880/600, buddies? I've heard Crack with Hd650 once at the meet and I was totally shocked by their sounds. They were just a "wow"," speechless", and "shaking". They sound unbelievable, probably one of the very best I've tried except BHse/009. There are very few combos that really wow me, such as Hd650/crack, Lcd2/v200, and BHsese/009. I know there are lots of more expensive options but they are just ok to my ears, never amaze me, maybe I just don't have "the golden ears".

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #3,836 of 12,347
How does Crack pair with Dt880/600, buddies? I've heard Crack with Hd650 once at the meet and I was totally shocked by their sounds. They were just a "wow"," speechless", and "shaking". They sound unbelievable, probably one of the very best I've tried except BHse/009. There are very few combos that really wow me, such as Hd650/crack, Lcd2/v200, and BHsese/009. I know there are lots of more expensive options but they are just ok to my ears, never amaze me, maybe I just don't have "the golden ears".

It's been a little while since I tried that combo, but it is definitely a nice pairing

Feb 23, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #3,837 of 12,347
Lachlan congrats on the Golden ears. I started the challenge the other evening on my bed room rig but had to abort when my little one decided she wanted to use the bed as a trampoline.

Feb 23, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #3,838 of 12,347
When a domain moves as outs just did it takes up to 24 hours for it to propagate throughout the internet. Going from a dedicated server to cloud based makes the process a bit more complex as various parts of the site are now on various servers. My suggestion is just try again in a while. Re the images, we are aware of the issue. I have a thread started about the new website, where you guys can post bug reports so you don't have to use the bandwidth on Head Fi. Things like the images and other glitches will probably start to get fixed Monday, as the web design team needs a few well deserved days off.

Probably his browser cache, not your server setup.

I'd suggest clearing the browser cache, then trying again.

Feb 23, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #3,839 of 12,347

Probably his browser cache, not your server setup.

I'd suggest clearing the browser cache, then trying again

I don't think it was browser cache as I had previous already visited the new forum prior, however that's a excellent tip thanks. I was able to log in when I next tried about an hour later and have had no log in problems since. The IT guys will have plenty of bugs to keep them busy fine tuning. 

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #3,840 of 12,347
  Lachlan congrats on the Golden ears. I started the challenge the other evening on my bed room rig but had to abort when my little one decided she wanted to use the bed as a trampoline.

Thanks Jamie, I had to try it once I read Tyll's article about it on Inner Fidelity. There were some frustrating moments! Bottlehead fans might like to know that the Mainline amp was my reference amp to do all of the tests.

For anyone interested: www.goldenears.philips.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back