Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Dec 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #3,361 of 12,347
The PC board for the final DAC prototype - what we would call the production prototype and thus identical to what will be in the kit - has been ordered this week. It takes a couple weeks to be built and from there we need to make some small layout changes on the chassis and make sure we don't screw something up in the process. At this moment I would estimate we will be ready to take orders in mid to late January. Release dates have a tendency to be moving targets so that is just a guess, not an announcement.

I cannot wait.

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #3,362 of 12,347
The PC board for the final DAC prototype - what we would call the production prototype and thus identical to what will be in the kit - has been ordered this week. It takes a couple weeks to be built and from there we need to make some small layout changes on the chassis and make sure we don't screw something up in the process. At this moment I would estimate we will be ready to take orders in mid to late January. Release dates have a tendency to be moving targets so that is just a guess, not an announcement.

Any estimate on price yet? Will it be in the same range as the Crack kit?

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #3,363 of 12,347
Our cost for the DAC PC board alone is about the retail price of the Crack, and then we have to include the battery supply and charging circuit, chassis, wood base, DAC board enclosure, display and other pc boards, connecting cables, jacks, hardware, switches, wire, etc., etc. The kit has not been priced yet because we don't quite have the final parts configuration. But it will cost more than the Crack kit.

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #3,364 of 12,347
  I have made a start on the speedball upgrade this evening.

Starting with the largest of the three boards. Assembling the components on the board was straight forward. Soldering all the components in the holes on the back side I found a bit more of a challenge, judging the correct amount of solder to feed in and finding out which solder tip worked best took a few try's before it started to come together. If you have done this sort of thing before I would imagine you would find it a doddle. A magnifying glass was essential for reading part numbers and checking on the soldering and also checked the resisters out with the meter.Not starting till late in the evening once the first board was done I was quiet relived and happy saved the other boards for another day and a fresher pair of eyes.

Nice neat work, Jamie!

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #3,365 of 12,347
The two smaller Speedball boards were a doddle after the large one and took no time at all. What through me initially on the larger board was the size of tip to use on the soldering iron. I had this long slender rounded needle tip and thought it would be ideal, but I just could not get it to transfer any heat into the parts for soldering I was adding a little solder to the tip but it made hardly any difference. Progress improved when the larger tip was used, immediately getting much better joints going back over the previous ones I was not happy with.

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #3,366 of 12,347
  The two smaller Speedball boards were a doddle after the large one and took no time at all. What through me initially on the larger board was the size of tip to use on the soldering iron. I had this long slender rounded needle tip and thought it would be ideal, but I just could not get it to transfer any heat into the parts for soldering I was adding a little solder to the tip but it made hardly any difference. Progress improved when the larger tip was used, immediately getting much better joints going back over the previous ones I was not happy with.

I find a 2mm chisel tip to be the workhorse of most any PCB work, including SMD. If you guys don't have one, get one :)

Dec 12, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #3,368 of 12,347
Congrats Jamie!  When you have a chance, throw on something with a well recorded string bass line.  The improved tightness brought about by the speedball upgrade will be very clear!   

Dec 12, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #3,369 of 12,347
And you were worried, Jamie!!

Well done!  I noticed an immediate and significant difference with the Speedball, well worth the upgrade to me.

Did all the LED's survive?  
beerchug.gif

Seriously, though, congratulations on the build!  

Dec 12, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #3,370 of 12,347
Cheers here are a couple of pics of the installed Speedball.

Creating a bit of space for the nylon standoff took longer than I thought gently coaxing the wires around to create a little bit of space just behind the 12au7 socket its a tight space to work (for me anyhow).  The other challenge was with bending back one of the capacitors I could have done with leaving the legs a little longer which would have given more scope for movement. I only just created enough space  to get the larger board in place something that would have been easy if I had left the legs of the capacitors a little longer.

Time to have a wee dram to celebrate
beerchug.gif

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #3,374 of 12,347
Cheers here are a couple of pics of the installed Speedball.

Creating a bit of space for the nylon standoff took longer than I thought gently coaxing the wires around to create a little bit of space just behind the 12au7 socket its a tight space to work (for me anyhow).  The other challenge was with bending back one of the capacitors I could have done with leaving the legs a little longer which would have given more scope for movement. I only just created enough space  to get the larger board in place something that would have been easy if I had left the legs of the capacitors a little longer.

Time to have a wee dram to celebrate :beerchug:

"Wee dram" indeed, or a snaps as we say here up north. Well worth it.

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #3,375 of 12,347
  Our cost for the DAC PC board alone is about the retail price of the Crack, and then we have to include the battery supply and charging circuit, chassis, wood base, DAC board enclosure, display and other pc boards, connecting cables, jacks, hardware, switches, wire, etc., etc. The kit has not been priced yet because we don't quite have the final parts configuration. But it will cost more than the Crack kit.

When can we pre order the DAC kit? are they tube DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back