Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Nov 19, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #3,272 of 12,347
All done!  Phew.  The Speedball is definitely a step up in difficulty to build vs the Crack itself, but a still very enjoyable build.  I did not have wire cutters that went down small enough, so that was a bit of a challenge!

I also received my missing badge today (Doc, please be sure to thank Eileen again for me!).

I just fired up the amp so, as of this second, I would be hard pressed to comment on the sound difference, but my initial impression is that it has made everything crisper and a little bit more open or airy sounding: welcome changes.

Thank you again Bottlehead and the Team for a great amp!

Nov 19, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #3,274 of 12,347
Thanks Skeptic!

I suppose the next step is...  Tube rolling...  Uh-oh!  
beyersmile.png

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #3,275 of 12,347
  The transformer itself is impregnated with varnish and won't rust. The bell end can get rusty in humid environments if not coated with something, be it an occasional coat of paste wax or a spray of clear coat or paint. Be sure to clean the bell end well to remove the oily coating it comes with before you try painting it. Oil base paint will usually go on easier than a water base paint.

Thanks doc... I guess I just will paint the bell... Or paint the bell with clear coat if I want to maintain the originalist look.

Nov 20, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #3,279 of 12,347
  Thanks folks!

Jamie, how is your purdy build going?  
bigsmile_face.gif

Hi Paul

Crack building is on pause this week as I am working away from my workshop during the day so not able to progress it. I don't want to take it home to work on in the evenings to do any soldering due to a little one.  Evening times are for them also.

Come Monday the rush will be over and I will have a few long lunch breaks to catch up with the build and hopefully by the end of next week I might have it up and running.

Nov 20, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #3,280 of 12,347
Thinking about Bottleheads Quickie but my grasp of all things hifi is not to good and also I only have a old integrated amp,  Apparently its possible to bypass the integrated's preamp section and run the signal to the Quickie instead by using the tape in-outputs, tape rec out to Quickie and back in through the tape input for play back?  Just wondering if this would be something worth giving a go or not to get some flavour a stand alone pre might bring prior to going down the stand alone power amp route.

Or more than likely I am completely barking up the wrong tree.

Nov 20, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #3,281 of 12,347
  Thinking about Bottleheads Quickie but my grasp of all things hifi is not to good and also I only have a old integrated amp,  Apparently its possible to bypass the integrated's preamp section and run the signal to the Quickie instead by using the tape in-outputs, tape rec out to Quickie and back in through the tape input for play back?  Just wondering if this would be something worth giving a go or not to get some flavour a stand alone pre might bring.

I'm interested to hear a response on this...

Alternatively you could buy a Quickie and try it given how inexpensive and fun the Quickie is! 
wink.gif

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #3,283 of 12,347
Thinking about Bottleheads Quickie but my grasp of all things hifi is not to good and also I only have a old integrated amp,  Apparently its possible to bypass the integrated's preamp section and run the signal to the Quickie instead by using the tape in-outputs, tape rec out to Quickie and back in through the tape input for play back?  Just wondering if this would be something worth giving a go or not to get some flavour a stand alone pre might bring prior to going down the stand alone power amp route.

I think it will work, but not bypass the preamp section of your integrated amp. With tape in, you still have volume control and gain from the preamp section, if there is some gain. Some integrated amps have a bypass, some RCAs that connect directly to the amp section. If you connect the quickie to the tape in, or whatever input you like, you will have two gain stages before the amp. If my understanding is correct, it could lead to some distortion. But maybe someone has another explanation.

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #3,284 of 12,347
The Quickie is well known to be inexpensive and fun, but you should not get emotionally attached to it. Do not scrutinize it - just move on...

I have to agree.

It is fun and I'd recommend it to anyone as exactly that (fun), but I don't see it transforming a system that's already at a good level.

Where I'm loving it is as a volume control for my powered speakers - it makes a great addition in this type of situation where you need volume adjustment for a fixed level power amplifier.

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #3,285 of 12,347
  Hello everyone,

After a pretty long time working fine, my speedballed crack started to have some little problems. When I turned the Crack on today, the tubes did not light up, then I slipped my Crack to see underneath, all the LEDs did not light up too ( that means there were no electricity in the Crack ), even though I pressed the power switch. I changed different power cords but could not help. I swapped the tubes, still did not work. Then I slipped the plate again, did not forget wearing shoes to avoid electric shock. I tried to touch and move the connector pins of the driver tube underneath the plate, then suddenly I was shocked and let the plate fall back to the wood base. But magically, the LEDs and the tubes lighted up again, and the Crack worked perfectly ever since.

I actually have no idea if there are some problems with the transformer or the joints.

Any idea?

Sorry for my bad English, I was trying to describe what happened to me.

Best regards,
Kratos.

[rant]
Sorry to drag up an old post - I was just searching the thread for unrelated items when I came across this post.

I'd like to iterate a few important points.

Never use your bare hands to poke around live circuits. This goes doubly so for higher voltage circuits. Putting on shoes may not save your life, its just good advice in case you are accidentally shocked. It does not provide protection. Electricity is devilish and it can find the most odd path to ground you never considered. Also, if you are electrocuted and survive you could end up with heart damage. Electricity is no joke.

If your poking around in a live circuit to find a short, use a non-conductive device. Better known as a stick. It can be wood or plastic. If wood - make certain its not wet. In fact make certain nothing is wet. If plastic - make certain it is non-conductive! A pen is probably a bad idea.

If you don't know what you are doing and play around with electricity there is a good chance it Darwinism will come into play and you will become a statistic.
[/rant]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back