Cowon S9 vs. J3
Jan 18, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #31 of 36
I can't see the point of the J3 - there's virtually no difference between the two. Cowon should've at least made the J3 the size of iPod Touch, or slightly larger... then I would willingly swap my beloved S9 for the J3.

Jan 18, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #32 of 36

Quote:
I can't see the point of the J3 - there's virtually no difference between the two. Cowon should've at least made the J3 the size of iPod Touch, or slightly larger... then I would willingly swap my beloved S9 for the J3.

What are you talking about?

The J3 is about the size of an iTouch (I am comparing to my 2G). The other major differences include the nicer UI, microSD Card Slot, longer battery life, and better tactile buttons. No it is not monumental, but it is a very nice upgrade.

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #33 of 36
I replaced my S9 with a J3 and the maximum volume is noticeably quieter on the J3 at higher volumes.  I can't remember the exact setting I used at work on the S9, but the J3 is the same +/- 1-2, however when I'm in my car driving ~36 on the S9 and 2/3-3/4 or so on the car stereo is equivalent to maxed out J3 and car stereo.

Has anyone else who owned/owns both experienced the same or is this a problem with my specific player I should get fixed?

Edit: Also, I replaced my S9 because I lost it, so exact comparisons aren't an option.

Sep 26, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #34 of 36

Quote:
I replaced my S9 with a J3 and the maximum volume is noticeably quieter on the J3 at higher volumes.  I can't remember the exact setting I used at work on the S9, but the J3 is the same +/- 1-2, however when I'm in my car driving ~36 on the S9 and 2/3-3/4 or so on the car stereo is equivalent to maxed out J3 and car stereo.

Has anyone else who owned/owns both experienced the same or is this a problem with my specific player I should get fixed?

Edit: Also, I replaced my S9 because I lost it, so exact comparisons aren't an option.

I only have a few days to return this via Amazon, which seems much easier than dealing with Cowon.  Can someone who has used both confirm if the output volume level is different between the J3 and the S9 or if it's just the J3 I have?

Sep 27, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #36 of 36

Quote:
Install a Non-EU firmware, that should fix the volume issue.

Thanks a ton!  I ended up having to rename/delete out the params.cfg file and re-enter my location data (which I don't ever recall doing and don't know why I would have entered incorrect data if I had) and now it works perfectly.  I found quite a few people asking about the limited volume when I tried to find how to get non-EU firmware, so no clue how I didn't find it in my initial searches, but thanks again.SUBMIT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back