Cowon S9 vs. J3
Aug 5, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #16 of 36
I have both J3 and S9 currently. Honestly, if there's a difference in sound, I'm not really catching it, but I usually use the players when on-the-go. The difference is sound is so small IMO that it shouldn't really be a deal breaker. Get the J3 for the expandable memory, better responsive touch screen, sleekier body, and better construction (the buttons don't stick like on the S9 which sticks after awhile) for just a little more.

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #19 of 36
You could try the iAudio 9... it's smaller, but I can't attest as to its interface being good. Check capacities and see if the iA9 will satisfy you... and plan to use all available storage, it fills up quick when it's available!

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #20 of 36
I had an i9 and its whole interface was counter-intuitive, gave me bad vibes.

It sounded great but felt cheap and plasticky compared to other players.

Aug 9, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #21 of 36

Quote:
the s9 is smaller, right?  that might win out over j3, then, if sound is very similar.

is there another option for me if video is not that imporant?  i like portability

They have the exact same width and length, but the J3 is slimmer. So the J3 is smaller.

Oct 28, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #23 of 36
I have ordered a pair of PK1s,waiting for them ,and meanwhile,I think about buying a Cowon J3,as I see,that it is a very good player.
The question is,do you think,I could drive the PK1s,with this J3,or I should buy an amp for this?
Theodore.

Oct 29, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #25 of 36
@DFKT - driving fine and driving without the psychological barrier of pushing the volume up high are two different things. The earphones ARE driven fine with the J3, but it's like watching the petrol tank on a 1/4 - you will still get to your home that is only 2K away as well as you would if the tank was full, but you will do it with worry.

People who have really tested earphones at the same volumes on players that still have headroom high in the volume scale versus amps will know that it isn't a quality problem. But, that doesn't affect the major user here. The major user will feel the walls growing in toward them as they push the volume up. 

To the church: Sound pressure is the same from an amp or from a DAP at the same volume level. You won't experience one 'better' than another unless the earphone is hard to drive in realistic, physical barriers such as impedance induced distortion/roll off/channel narrowing. 150Ω earphones are a psychological barrier, but are driven well from most sources - you shouldn't need an amp unless you cannot hear them. Pushing volume of 150Ω phones to 80-90% with a DAP does not reduce the quality of the output versus an amp at the same volume level - other than signature differences, a good DAP like a J3 should handle the phones every bit as well.

Now, if you like more warmth, or more distortion, or narrower channel, or more hiss, or... whatever, then by all means buy an amp. 

I think a lot of people would be surprised by plugging their 600Ω Beyers to volume-matched neutral outputs, one a powerful home amp that costs 1000$, and the other an iPod or Cowon. 

@DFKT - keep up the good fight, but it is a slow death, my friend. 

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #26 of 36
I didn't know I was 'fighting' anything, but I guess simply stating the plain facts could be interpreted as such on this here forum.

In fact, the OK1/PK1's high impedance pretty much fixes all shortcomings some MP3 players sometimes display with lower impedance phones (hiss, crosstalk, roll-off, etc), just like a high quality amp should do as well, when a low quality player is the bottleneck in a system (which the S9/J3 of course isn't). In several ways a 150 Ohm dynamic driver IEM 'needs' an amp less than a, say, 16 Ohm multi-armature IEM.

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #28 of 36
I need to find a better way to agree with someone! My long-winded post was attempting to do just that, but I suppose I came away with less meaning and more words than anything else, didn't I?

Quote:
I didn't know I was 'fighting' anything, but I guess simply stating the plain facts could be interpreted as such on this here forum.

In fact, the OK1/PK1's high impedance pretty much fixes all shortcomings some MP3 players sometimes display with lower impedance phones (hiss, crosstalk, roll-off, etc), just like a high quality amp should do as well, when a low quality player is the bottleneck in a system (which the S9/J3 of course isn't). In several ways a 150 Ohm dynamic driver IEM 'needs' an amp less than a, say, 16 Ohm multi-armature IEM.

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #29 of 36
Heh, no problem - I got the gist of your post (after reading it a second time).
smily_headphones1.gif
Your car analogy and the psychological factors involved were well explained.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back