Cowon Plenue P1
Jan 7, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #2,941 of 2,974
That seems to be the quickest way to mark them on the fly. Building up a favorites folder of the exact opposite, that bring up another question :

Is there a standard or prefered desktop player that would show those "favorite" tracks? I'm sure some are better than others, I just don't what's the best these days, been a slave to i-Tunes for so long. Not sure if Windows Media Player or Mediamonkey are even preferred anymore. The second question I forgot to ask :

Are 1TB SD cards functional in this player? Can it handle the size? I read somewhere that 400GB was working smoothly but that was a much older post.

Jan 7, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #2,942 of 2,974
Actually there is a way to delete songs on the fly. But being Cowon, its not in the obvious place.

1. Go to 'Folder' view
2. Open an album
3. Open file management the second icon from the right (three bars and a circle)
4. Open the 'Bin' symbol
5. Every song in the file now has a check box
6. Mark the ones you want to delete
7. hit the bin symbol and voila. Gone.
8. Update the database if you want.

Have fun.

And no, 1TB cards, don't work, TBH I wouldn't even try 512gb either... Swapping cards isn't hard.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #2,943 of 2,974
Actually there is a way to delete songs on the fly. But being Cowon, its not in the obvious place.

1. Go to 'Folder' view
2. Open an album
3. Open file management the second icon from the right (three bars and a circle)
4. Open the 'Bin' symbol
5. Every song in the file now has a check box
6. Mark the ones you want to delete
7. hit the bin symbol and voila. Gone.
8. Update the database if you want.

Have fun.

And no, 1TB cards, don't work, TBH I wouldn't even try 512gb either... Swapping cards isn't hard.
500 gig works well

Aug 9, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #2,944 of 2,974
Hey guys,

As this has been active recently I thought I would ask a question.

Is the DAC part of P1 still good?

I'm trying to get the best out of it so I have a couple of options:

1. Use it like a line out going into my ifi Zen Can which goes to my Mad dog headphones. Iv read the "line out" isn't great on this. The only way to line out would be to pump the volume up on analogue output which starts distorting around 130.

2. Use the digital out and go to an ifi Zen DAC (which I'd need to buy) that would then route through to the Zen CAN. But the digital out isn't pure, it's coloured by any filters that are on and the volume.

What do you guys reckon? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Iv gone for the ifi Zen Can setup as it's small, powerful and has more than one input which I can't find on anything else which is half decent.

Thanks

:)

Aug 9, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #2,945 of 2,974
Hey guys,

As this has been active recently I thought I would ask a question.

Is the DAC part of P1 still good?

I'm trying to get the best out of it so I have a couple of options:

1. Use it like a line out going into my ifi Zen Can which goes to my Mad dog headphones. Iv read the "line out" isn't great on this. The only way to line out would be to pump the volume up on analogue output which starts distorting around 130.

2. Use the digital out and go to an ifi Zen DAC (which I'd need to buy) that would then route through to the Zen CAN. But the digital out isn't pure, it's coloured by any filters that are on and the volume.

What do you guys reckon? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Iv gone for the ifi Zen Can setup as it's small, powerful and has more than one input which I can't find on anything else which is half decent.

Thanks

:)
In order:
Depends on your tastes. The Burr-Brown 1792A is an 'old' dac chip, but frankly variations in 'technical' performance are neither here nor there compared to the latest sabres. It's all about the voicing of the chip and for the BB stuff that tends to focus on euphony and timbre, rather than detail and soundstage. So good for pop, jazz, rock and classical, not so much for death metal, techno and harder EDM. The 1792A is still used by a few companies - most notably Naim - so its not as if it is obsolete.

Avoid line-out at all costs, the P1 just wasn't built for it.

Digital out (via optical) to the Zen Dac is fine. I've used the P1 that way to both the ifi Micro Black Label and a Naim Dac v-1 as a transport (still do in fact..) Ifi also uses Burr Browns so the voicing won't be too dissimilar.

have fun!

Nov 11, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #2,950 of 2,974
Used my P1 today for the first time in a long time - had forgotten how nice it sounds.

Nov 12, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #2,952 of 2,974
Curious, how does it sound compared to, say, just listening with macbook or iphone?
Can't answer your question haven't used either of those two things. The sound is "enveloping" - can't explain that, just seems complete! and given how old the P1 is I don't think it gives much away to more recent releases - I'm talking sound wise, features wise well that's another matter. I should add the ears are in their 65th year also, the P1 was purpose designed to play back music, it's not a computing swiss army pocketknife, music is mostly always compromised when it is just one of the things the device being used does - in my opinion.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #2,953 of 2,974
Has anyone tried replacing the battery? Mine is still going strong, but I like this player so much I am thinking of how to prolong its lifespan. I live in Korea and Cowon themselves seem to be non responsive and out of the DAP game entirely, though it is unclear yet why and if they will return.

Apr 22, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #2,954 of 2,974
I opened mine up a while back and the ribbon to the buttons broke, so if you do try be very very careful.

If I remember correctly the battery had a little plastic connection on it, so no soldering would be required to change the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back