Cowon Plenue P1
Oct 11, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #2,791 of 2,974
Hi guyz,

Can drive the Hifiman he500 and how is the sound compared with full desktop amp?I live in Europe so the price is gonna be like 500$ or so,but still good price,i think.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #2,792 of 2,974
In headphone mode I can drive my HE400i's at around 108-110 volume, it can drive them louder than I listen to comfortably

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #2,793 of 2,974
One subjective quick compare, the LCD-XC are easy to drive, and before I upgraded the tubes on my $5K WA5, I was almost going to sell it cause I was starting to think that this huge desktop amp is only just barely better sounding than my P1. In general I still think desktop setups are better, but the amount of value and quality out of the P1 assuming you have HPs it can drive is shocking.

Oct 11, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #2,794 of 2,974
Hi guyz,

Can drive the Hifiman he500 and how is the sound compared with full desktop amp?I live in Europe so the price is gonna be like 500$ or so,but still good price,i think.

Thank you!

I am using the P1 with the following heaphones and can drive them without an issue, HE 400S, fidelio X2, oppo PM -3, AtH-50X, normally i go around 90-110 depending on headphone which is a bit loud (140 is the max volume on the P1).

I use as desktop amp an O2 from JDS, a sprout from psaudio and a peachtree nova 65se.

I think the Plenue sounds better than the sprout, more refined, sweet, but the sprout is a speaker amp 1st and heaphone 2nd.

I think i can say the same using the peachtree, while the sound quality are perhaps on par, i enjoy more the sound from the P1, but as well, this is a speaker amp.

Regarding the O2, i can not say it is better, but rather different, O2 is neutral and P1 a bit warmer, but both very detail and clear, and i enjoy both a lot.

Oct 13, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #2,795 of 2,974
Jumped on this deal on Amazon even with import duty to the UK it is a great deal,had just bought the Fiiox5iii but disappointed,sound is ok but very sluggish when connected to wifi and using spotify ect.Hopefully the sq on the cowan will trump it.

Wow that was quick the P1 was not in stock until the 11th, shipped out that day from Cincinnati and travelled via Leipzig, has now arrived at my home in Scotland today, I think the import/shipping fee was a bargain.
Looking forward to testing it tonight with a nice bottle of Vino Tinto!!

Oct 13, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #2,796 of 2,974
Wow that was quick the P1 was not in stock until the 11th, shipped out that day from Cincinnati and travelled via Leipzig, has now arrived at my home in Scotland today, I think the import/shipping fee was a bargain.
Looking forward to testing it tonight with a nice bottle of Vino Tinto!!
Happy listening (imo the P1 is an amazing dap) tonight, although I doubt if that bottle will fit in your ears :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #2,797 of 2,974
Would anyone who's listened to both the P1 and the Opus #3 care to share their opinion? I'm trying to choose between the two. The P1 seems an almost ridiculous bargain at $400, relatively speaking.

I currently use the LG G6 Quad Dac with my HD600 and I'm happy with it. But I recently discovered the downside of using your phone as your DAP - namely the higher potential to drop it on concrete.

Oct 15, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #2,798 of 2,974
Received my Cowon P1 on Friday. What a beauty! The sound is superb and matches perfectly with my JH Lola, which produces smooth and analogue sound that I managed to listen non-stop for the whole charge. As expected, it lasted around 8hours (combination of FLAC and DSD).

The only thing that I didn't like about it, is the plastic cover for the USB connector/MicroSD area, which is good for protecting the bottom area, but rather inconvenient when charging the P1. So took it off carefully and completely with a small tweezer, without breaking the tiny connector (I guess this is the portion that will break eventually). Replaced with a nicely cut synthetic leather which flushes nicely now. A better solution than the original cover.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #2,799 of 2,974
If you are using LG for streaming and for all the connected functionality, I think you should grab a Opus#3 or the X7II (or go lower for the X5III).

P1 only serves as a standalone music player - but one of the best one, even if it is priced at the original price today.

Would anyone who's listened to both the P1 and the Opus #3 care to share their opinion? I'm trying to choose between the two. The P1 seems an almost ridiculous bargain at $400, relatively speaking.

I currently use the LG G6 Quad Dac with my HD600 and I'm happy with it. But I recently discovered the downside of using your phone as your DAP - namely the higher potential to drop it on concrete.

Oct 15, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #2,800 of 2,974
If you are using LG for streaming and for all the connected functionality, I think you should grab a Opus#3 or the X7II (or go lower for the X5III).

P1 only serves as a standalone music player - but one of the best one, even if it is priced at the original price today.

I'm happy with the idea of a standalone player. Another problem with the phone-as-DAP phenomenon is I often find myself distracted, when I really want to just relax and enjoy the music.

The consensus seems to be that this is still a flagship-calibre device, provided you're not interested in streaming. The $399 pricetag kind of makes the decision for you, but I was curious about the Opus, due to the identical DAC and slightly higher power ouput (2.5 vs 2vrms).

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #2,801 of 2,974
I'm happy with the idea of a standalone player. Another problem with the phone-as-DAP phenomenon is I often find myself distracted, when I really want to just relax and enjoy the music.

The consensus seems to be that this is still a flagship-calibre device, provided you're not interested in streaming. The $399 pricetag kind of makes the decision for you, but I was curious about the Opus, due to the identical DAC and slightly higher power ouput (2.5 vs 2vrms).

Can't help you much here, as only owned the Opus#1 and Opus#1 metal edition. Sound was a bit too cold and analytical for me when I was having it, thus sold it after a short while. Didn't try out any other Opus models since then.

The current price for the P1 is definitely a grab. There are sellers selling used set higher than this price in most online website!

I think black sets are really the remaining stocks (which is my preference vs the gold set), and I am thankful to grab one.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #2,803 of 2,974

Wow, only $400???? I paid $1000 for mine a while back!! What a great deal!!

It is a fantastic deal I just received mine on Friday and after a few hours burn in I can honestly say I love it. It is a league above the x5iii which I have. Better instrument separation and blacker background, lovely detail and closest to that analogue sound which I prefer. Having just got back into daps I am also looking forward to receiving the colorfly c10 which can be had for a mad 143 dollars.

Oct 15, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #2,804 of 2,974
Great time to grab some good, TOTL daps at a good bargain before stocks run out!

It is a fantastic deal I just received mine on Friday and after a few hours burn in I can honestly say I love it. It is a league above the x5iii which I have. Better instrument separation and blacker background, lovely detail and closest to that analogue sound which I prefer. Having just got back into daps I am also looking forward to receiving the colorfly c10 which can be had for a mad 143 dollars.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #2,805 of 2,974
Received my Cowon P1 on Friday. What a beauty! The sound is superb and matches perfectly with my JH Lola, which produces smooth and analogue sound that I managed to listen non-stop for the whole charge. As expected, it lasted around 8hours (combination of FLAC and DSD).

The only thing that I didn't like about it, is the plastic cover for the USB connector/MicroSD area, which is good for protecting the bottom area, but rather inconvenient when charging the P1. So took it off carefully and completely with a small tweezer, without breaking the tiny connector (I guess this is the portion that will break eventually). Replaced with a nicely cut synthetic leather which flushes nicely now. A better solution than the original cover.

Congrats on your purchase, i have hear a lot of praise on the new Lolas, even some people like them more than the laylas, so that should be a pretty good match
I will audition P1 with Shure KSE1500 in november, hope is a good match too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back