Cowon Plenue P1
Apr 24, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #1,231 of 2,974
  simple questions please answer ( for me answering those question will determine my purchase as I can not try things out and return like u guys in the USA )

1- does the sound enhancements have the same terrible effect on music, like those effects on smartphones, as I use some effect and enhancements on my sony xperia z2 and simply put enhancements just suck
2- Simple question, does the sound sound anything like its thin
3- does it have a good low end punch
4- is it by any means harsh in the high end frequencies
5- does it need an amp to drive audeze lcd2
6- is the sound stage wide
7- does have good depth in sound stage

if we can rank the following where would u place the zx2 just in terms of sound quality regardless of price
1- ak240
2- rwak240
3- calyx m
4- cowon p1
5- paw lotoo

which of those 4 daps ( calyx does not have ) above has the best sound enhancement implementation and are not gimics in their implementation

Here's my input to your questions:

1. No, the EQ on the P1 is a very good implementation of it with very little degradation of SQ when used. I've not found the need to use anything other than normal but have played around with other settings.

2. No, the P1 has a full and ever so slightly warm sound signature without loosing any of the detail, its perfect for my taste.

3. Well I'm using Shure SE846 with the P1 and yes it can punch your brain out with heavy beats turned up, it produces such a clean sub base tone as well that it tricks your brain into thinking your chest is rattling :)

4. No, as I stated in my previous post this was the main reason for my purchase, the so called 'faux analogue' results in an amazingly smooth presentation of the treble completely eradicating the harshness that can fatigue your ears without looking any of the detail.

5 I can't directly answer this, but it does have two output modes, one for IEMs and one for headphones where it directly increases the output voltage, Cowon say you do not need a separate amp with headphone mode but as I'm driving the SE846 I can't personally confirm this.

6. Its a lot wider than the iPod i upgraded from but I can't compare to other high end DAPs, I'm very happy with it.

7. See 6

Apr 24, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #1,232 of 2,974
I completely agree with your answers. I really love the Plenue - ttye skin options are great. Also, firmware updates and adding new files is much simpler than with the A&K 120. In addition to increasing the comparatively short battery life, i wish the Plenue had larger memory capacity. It will be interesting to see the next gen offerings from A&K - without significant improvements, they will loose substantial market share, quickly. Competition is great!!

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #1,233 of 2,974

Ah okay so it's not just me. That's good to know ... I think? Maybe I'll have to get an O2/ODAC combo for gaming purposes, then. Or maybe they'll fix the delay at some point?

I seem to have got the delay small enough that its ok for syncing with video.

Once you plug in the usb you need to open the properties of the device (right click your volume icon in the bottom right of windows the select playback devices and open the Plenue properties) in the advance tab select 24bits 96000 Hz for default format. I had done this before and still had delay but then I realized that when I completely closed my web browser and reopened it the delay had gone.

So now when I connect my device i make sure I restart all applications if I'm not connecting it directly after booting up. Hope this works for you as well.

Apr 30, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #1,234 of 2,974
http://www.seeko.co.kr/zboard4/zboard.php?id=cool_review&page=2&sn1=&divpage=1&sn=off&ss=on&sc=off&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=422

http://www.seeko.co.kr/zboard4/zboard.php?id=m_device&page=1&sn1=&divpage=1&sn=off&ss=on&sc=off&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=6

The P1 trumps the AK240 in most areas. 

Apr 30, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #1,235 of 2,974
Apr 30, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #1,236 of 2,974

I seem to have got the delay small enough that its ok for syncing with video.

Once you plug in the usb you need to open the properties of the device (right click your volume icon in the bottom right of windows the select playback devices and open the Plenue properties) in the advance tab select 24bits 96000 Hz for default format. I had done this before and still had delay but then I realized that when I completely closed my web browser and reopened it the delay had gone.

So now when I connect my device i make sure I restart all applications if I'm not connecting it directly after booting up. Hope this works for you as well.

I had it set to 24/96k previously, because it was in Cowon's instructions that I found online. The delay actually seemed to go down while I had it connected for the last 30 minutes, but it's still pretty noticeable. The delay is really obvious to me because I test it with video game sounds, which normally instantly respond to button presses. I guess it could be okay for videos and stuff now.

May 1, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #1,237 of 2,974
In case that anybody is searching for an alternative skin for the P1. Asnote has created one! Some of you will surely remember Asnote.
They have also developed some skins for the Cowon J3 and S9.
Installation and use are simple. Just copy and past. To skip the new skin just keep the setting button pressed for more than 3 sec.

http://www.seeko.co.kr/zboard4/data/device/1419939289/ASUCI_V3_Layout.jpg

http://asnote.net/220308059414

May 11, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #1,238 of 2,974
CNET posted a new review today that contains a lot of comparisons to the ZX2: http://www.cnet.com/products/cowon-plenue-1/

The reviewer seems to be saying it sounds significantly better than the ZX2 or Pono. No real surprise there IMO.

i really wish for a comparison between cowon p1 and sony zx2 sq wise only

May 15, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #1,240 of 2,974
  Can any Plenue owners tell me how to use the device as an external dac?

Yup, make sure you have the latest firmware from http://www.cowonglobal.com/

Then do this (grabbed from Cowon's website):

1) USB DAC functionality
- With USB DAC functionality, users can use PLENUE 1 as an external sound card. Users can listen to music
from a PC through PLENUE 1’s earphone socket.
- Please select ‘MSC/DAC’ and ‘USB DAC pop-up when USB is connected’ at Settings/System/USB Mode.
USB DAC will be connected automatically under this condition.
- Users can adjust the volume by using volume buttons (+, -) of PLENUE 1 when USB DAC is connected.
- Output: 16bit/44.1~192kHz, 24bit/44.1~96kHz
- Recommended OS: Windows 7/8/8.1 (PLENUE 1 might not work optimally under Windows XP or below).
- How to set the PC
* For Windows 7/8/8.1 :
Go to Settings ▶ Hardware & Sound ▶ Audio Devices ▶ Choose [Default Settings] of COWON PLENUE 1 DAC
▶ Change to 24bit, 96000Hz at [Attributes]▶[Advanced]
* For MAC OS X : System Preferences ▶ Sound ▶ Output ▶ Choose "COWON PLENUE 1 DAC"

May 15, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #1,241 of 2,974
Thanks
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #1,242 of 2,974
No problem! Nice to see another Atlantan on the forums. Seems like there's a few of us. Congrats on the P1! Did you just get it?

May 16, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #1,243 of 2,974
  No problem! Nice to see another Atlantan on the forums. Seems like there's a few of us. Congrats on the P1! Did you just get it?

Yes.  When I saw that the P1 has Burr Brown chips I had to give it a listen.  See, my favorite DAC is in my Naim Uniti 2 which is a DAC/streamer and has Burr Brown in it.

Very similar sounds, but I still have to give the Naim the edge.  Of course, it's considerably more more money.  However the P1 definitely holds it own.  Great pairing with my JH 13's.

Thanks for asking.

May 16, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #1,244 of 2,974
Only concerned for moment with it acting as a digital transport with this question. ...

Has any owner been using the optical out with high-rez music? Can you confirm it will output full rez, up to say 24-bit @ 192KHz or at least 96KHz? I.e. Your external DAC's display shows that it has synced to this rate.

Also, is the USB connection only and input (as described above), or can it act as an output too and stream to an external DAC over USB?

Thanx

Edit: i think this answers the 1st question, and that answer is good...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/709051/cowon-plenue-p1/840#post_11014704

May 16, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #1,245 of 2,974

Users who are viewing this thread

Back