Cowon Plenue P1
Mar 18, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #1,157 of 2,974
My P1 is in the post!!  However could someone help me with a couple questions -

Although I have my music organised and often use folder navigation, I do use playlists a lot.  Can someone confirm that they have M3U playlists created outside of the P1 working? Mac or PC?

I have a mac and I wondered if anyone had specific experience with the two working together?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #1,158 of 2,974
Hi all

A couple of new questions if I may:

Does anyone else notice that the P1 gets very warm when charging?  I had run the battery down yesterday so I connected my charger while carrying on listening.  After a while I noticed that the unit was what I would call unusually warm.  Could be the metal body I suppose but I thought I'd best ask the question.

Also has anyone installed FW 2.00 and if so did it go smoothly and have any effect on sound signature (apart from resetting some JetEffect presets)?

Many thanks
David

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #1,160 of 2,974
  Hello to all head-fi-ers.  I am a newbie and would just like to post a couple of comments/questions regarding the Cowon P1, which I have now owned for one day.

I don't really regard myself as an audiophile, or perhaps just enough of one to become disillusioned with the sound quality from my iPod touch (and the total faff which is iTunes) so about a year ago I started to look for alternatives.  This opened up a whole new world to me (all you guys basically) and after plenty of soul-and-wallet-searching I took the plunge and bought an iBasso DX90 and a pair of PSB M4U1s (didn't fancy the noise-cancelling version as I thought it might interfere with the sound).  I've been very impressed with this combination, especially for the small outlay compared to the price of some rigs out there.  However the search for perfection can be pretty addictive and after speaking to a colleague who has owned Cowon players, quite a bit of research and more wallet plundering I have now become the owner of a P1.  Last night on unpacking it I took the micro SD card out of my DX90, put it straight into the P1 and spent the next 3 hours listening to it.  I'm finding it a step up from DX90 even with the PSBs, which leads me to my first question:

I am looking at upgrading my headphones and have started to read a lot about planar magnetics, and especially the Audeze range.  Closed back would be essential for me so I was until recently resigned to saving my pennies for a pair of LCD-XCs, but then discovered the EL8s which are apparently also available in closed back.  I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of pairing Audezes, or planar magnetics generally, with the P1, and if so whether they will work effectively without the need for a separate amp?

My other comment/question relates to the library indexing on the P1, which someone mentioned previously on this thread as being problematic.  I have found that a handful of the 200-300 artists in my library do not show up correctly on the P1, which they did on the DX90.  As an example, 'Freddie Mercury and Montserrat Caballe' is displayed as 'Freddie Mercurylle'.  Could it be that the P1 is just less forgiving of iffy tags and I have some work to do, or have others found this to be a problem which might indicate a FW bug?  If it's my tags which are at fault, they might have lain undiscovered on the DX90 as I grouped artists as album artists (I was using Rockbox).  Incidentally does anyone know of a way to show album artists on the P1?  I have not found one - yet.

Overall though I have to say that the P1 is a lovely device and although it's still very early days I am extremely pleased with it.

Kind regards
David

Hi Dav...i have no problems with indexing..probably due to all my songs were tagged correctly before rip..chk if ur on fw 1.26 or the default v1.0...i read somewhere the v1.26 seems to fix some of the display bug..

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #1,161 of 2,974

Thanks Papajoe (and to others for previous replies).

I am on 1.26.  I will upgrade to 2.00 later and try re-indexing but if that doesn't work it seems like I'm going to have to re-visit my tags.  Still a bit puzzled though as my DX90 read them ok (albeit I was grouping by album artist - something of an omission on the P1 so far??) and my Sonos setup reads the same tags just fine as well.  Tags were generated in dBpoweramp when I ripped my CDs to FLAC so should be pretty reliable I would have thought.

Best regards
David

Mar 18, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #1,162 of 2,974
Well my tag/indexing issue is a real head-scratcher. 

I have updated to FW 2.00 today, and copied just one album containing one of the offending tracks to a brand new Micro SD card.  The original file is tagged as follows: Album Artist = 'Queen', Artist = 'Queen; Montserrat Caballé; Freddie Mercury'.  The P1 displays the artist for this file as 'Freddie Mercuryllé'.  I can't see any other tags on the file which contain any information relating to artist, so I really am at a loss to explain this.  It's neither chopping the text at the semicolons, nor at the 'é'.

Please can anyone out there save me from going slightly mad?

Best regards
David

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #1,164 of 2,974
The P1 does indeed have a line out. It is a mini optical that goes into the earphone socket. Luckily I had one lying around from my old portable minidisc player that I use to plug via my dac to amp

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #1,166 of 2,974
My brain refuses to learn the difference between playback and volume controls on the P1. I've lost count of the times I've gone to turn the volume down & skipped to the next track.

I've even tried to reverse-guess. And of course I pressed the wrong button.

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #1,168 of 2,974
My brain refuses to learn the difference between playback and volume controls on the P1. I've lost count of the times I've gone to turn the volume down & skipped to the next track.

I've even tried to reverse-guess. And of course I pressed the wrong button.

i feel u bro....
your not alone...countless times ive wanting to skip tracks but pressing the pause button ...ha but it was fun..

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #1,169 of 2,974
Some more random observations and comments after a few days of P1 ownership...

Good:
Superb SQ as demonstrated by direct comparison with my DX90 - wider sound stage, more bass slam (I'm not a bass head and I haven't applied any EQ settings on the P1, it just sounds fuller and deeper), clearer treble and more detail.
Love the UI.

Bad:
Have experienced a couple of skips in playback when the P1 display auto-rotates to its cover-flow view (doesn't happen every time). I'll probably just switch this off. Incidentally does anyone know what order the albums are shown in?
Still mystified by my tagging problems as documented previously. A friend has an older Cowon so I will pass him one of the offending files to compare, failing that I will contact Cowon for advice (HW issue maybe??).
Charging time and battery life could be better but not a big deal for me.

Wishlist for future FW upgrades:
An option to view by album artist.
An option to change the text scolling direction to L to R instead of back and forth (and also to stop back and forth scrolling when the text is short enough to be seen in its entirety)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back